Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I stole a prime rib.... sort of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I stole a prime rib.... sort of.

So I was planning on grinding up some burgers on Sunday, a mix of chuck,short rib and brisket. Than I get an email from Fairway, prime rib roast on sale for $13.99lb. Well there goes the burger idea. Anyway I get to Fairway pick out a roast,bigger than I need, pick out a smaller one, too small. Said wth give me the bigger one, more sandwiches ect... The butcher puts it on the scale and it's showing up $14.99lb so I say it's supposed to be $13.99lb. He comes around to the front of the meat case where there are 3 prices. 19.99, 14.99 and 13.99 hum. He goes back and while mumbling something about not giving a s#£t. He than takes the smaller roast puts it on the scale weighs it and puts that sticker on the big roast. Saving me about $47.00. See first pic. Needless to say I couldn't get out of the store fast enough.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0997.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.91 MB ID:	302386
    Right out of the packaging

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0998.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.91 MB ID:	302387 now after deboning and trimming I have a 4.2lb tied up roast, a 3 rib section and I'm feeling some love in the back corner Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0999.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.34 MB ID:	302388
    Last edited by Steve B; April 9, 2017, 06:38 PM. Reason: The cook

Score!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      What in th' world are ya' binkin' with a .408 Windrunner?
      Are ya LEO? In my day, was partial to .300 WinMag, .338 Lapua... pre-Barrett days, ya' unnerstan'...at least, in my branch.
      SSS QVA

• fracmeister
      fracmeister commented
      Editing a comment
      At the price of the bullets I am definitely not getting enough practice with it. But I have found it to be the best in the safe at 1000 yards + and I can hit the broadside of a barn at a mile....sometimes even the door that I am aiming at.

Super great deal!
    When's the cook(s)?

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually the roast is going on around 3:30-4:00. Right after I steam clean my LSG and get the temps stable.

That's awesome!

Comment

Good deal.

Comment

What a bargain!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

The "stolen" prime rib roast cook pics. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1003.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	302678Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1005.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	302677Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1006.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	302679Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	302676 sorry Meathead I left the fat cap on

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Life is just so good when you sit down to a plate like that!

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks EdF

• troymeister
              troymeister commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice!!..What a great deal!!

Karma. I'd watch out for pianos falling from the sky the next few days.

Comment

Great looking cook! And one hell of a deal. Did you use Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust? I love that stuff!!!!

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Mrs. O'Leary's is my favorite for beef roasts!

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Spinaker and yes Mrs. O'Leary's it was.

Nice!!!

Comment

I scored some nice prime rib at Publix for $5.99 a lb. I may christen the KBQ with this. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	303804

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice

• JPGators17
                  JPGators17 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm heading to publix to pick one up tomorrow. Cooking on Saturday, so I made the meat manager promise me it would still be on sale then. lol

Prime is on and smoking at 205 degrees, any one know approx time for 2 pound cut? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	304021

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great set up.

With that rig, I'd start checking at an hour for 120-125. What temp do you have on the dial? Maybe 181, then plan on a sear afterwards? The KBQ is quick because of the convection. You can probably up the temp if you're measuring it, to swing around 235 (not dial but at the exhaust stack - I just stick a Thermapen in the hole in the controller).

Comment

Thanks EdF, you were pretty accurate on the time estimate. I realized I better crank it up a bit and then things came together nicely. My plan was to pull it at 120 125 cut it in half and sear it. I checked the temp and pulled it at 132, cut it in half and decided it was to done for searing. It was delicious and I nearly ate the whole thing because my wife is trying not to eat meat! There's about 8 to 10 oz left. I'll eat it with eggs in the a.m. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	304088

Comment

• Steve B
                    Steve B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That looks great. Steak and eggs SWEEEEET.
                    Something tells me you didn't need that serious butcher knife to cut through piece of beauty though.

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Beautious!

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Steak and eggs! Bummer!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here