Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Day Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Day Strategy

I've been thinking of leftovers lately and I wanted to pass on a great second day strategy.

When making your favorite pot roast, there are always left overs. and it's not always the favorite meal.

try making or buying some nice, big chewy, crusty rolls and for second day roast beast, take the bread and make a bowl with it. if it's a loaf cut a chink to size, put some butter on a baking tray and sit the bred on it's cut side so the crust is around the perimeter with a cut side down. dig out the bread leaving about 1" all the way around.

cut up your cold meat into chunks and mix back with whatever roast veg were served with the meat day before. dip a nice helping into the bread bowl and fill it well, adding in plenty of the juices. then, top the meat,veg,juice mixture with a nice slice of cheese, some swiss or, here I go back to our favorite white cheese, assagio and pup it in the oven at around 375 and let it cook through until the bottom side is nicely colored, the contents bubbling and the cheese on top melty and toasting. if the cheese needs a bit more color, you can move it up to the broiler to finish it off.

this allows the meat juices to reduce down and get nice and thick, cooking into the bread. not a stew but better than just microwaving leftovers. The roast beast you spent such time over for Sunday Dinner deserves better for Monday night leftovers! and so do you! don't make yourself eat just any leftovers, make em yummy!!

Sounds really good. Will give this a try. Thanks.

Comment

I do things like this as well. Actually, I would eat a rubber flip flop as long as it's inside a bread bowl. One of my favorite things the next day is to take what ever beef from the night before and sorta make a bread bowl stew. Now some may say to not mix starches, but plop a big scoop of mashed taters on there and bake and it is delish!!

Comment

• Notavegan
        Notavegan commented
        Editing a comment
        My SO dumps chicken pot pie (potato and crust) onto a bed of rice or mashed...

What a great idea Karon Adams ... thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here