Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska has BBQ and plenty of protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaska has BBQ and plenty of protein

I went to Alaska last summer and took this pic of a menu. The place smelled great. Wood floors, been there forever.

So if ever you needed a reason to get to Alaska, there you have it.

Attached Files

Ah, the great vistas of the world!

Comment

My dad & I have a 'plan' to drive to AK from central MI (neither of us want to fly) take the boat, fish along the way in every state (Canada too), and fish there when we make it. I need of course to find a way to get a month off work and the cash to make this happen before it's not possible with him. Good to know that somewhere there's some BBQ along the way!

Comment

wow, root beer floats!

Comment

I went to Alaska last July. Where was this pic taken? The food was GREAT up there.

Comment

I was also there last July. All I ate was salmon, potatoes, jerky and thats about it. Like @Larry047 ..........Where was this taken.? I flew into King Salmon, then did a float down the Alagnak. What about you guys?

Comment

I was stationed on NAS Adak way back in 1988. Was there for the salmon run, and caribou season. Great eating!!! Indescribable experience, Alaska!!!

Comment

• Richard P
              Richard P commented
              Editing a comment
              hey, I was on NAS Adak in the early 70s. Was there the day they recorded their highest temp ever. Temp got to 72 degrees. Base closed down and they had a beach party. Never got use to the earth quakes every couple of weeks. Nice place to explore during the summer. Lots of eagles and fish.

Does caribou taste like chicken???

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope. Nossir. Mostly tastes summat akin' t' Caribou. ;-)))

I LOVE caribou sausage. Never had a caribou burger, but I bet it's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
              I was also there last July. All I ate was salmon, potatoes, jerky and thats about it. Like @Larry047 ..........Where was this taken.? I flew into King Salmon, then did a float down the Alagnak. What about you guys?
              I flew into Anchorage and did a train tour. Anchorage to Talkeetna to Denali. Then down to Seward. And finally back to Anchorage. A fantastic 10 days.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Very cool. Its an amazing place.

I went out on a run in cruise. Not a huge runner but it was a good excuse to see Alaska.

Flew to anchorage, 3hr bus trip to Seward to the shop was absolutely fantastic, and only the tip of the iceberg

from seward went to glaciers, then Junea, Skagway (pic taken there of menu), Ketchikan (salmon capitol of AlSka) , icy straight point,, and then cruised through some more of gods country through British Columbia and then finally to Vancouver to. Bc and Vancouver were amazing.

At each stop our group (179 runners and me) would go to an already setup road race, and see Gods country along the way. Nobody else wanted to go so I said screw and went by myself.

Turns out there is life after Disney and the carribean.

The ketchikan cross country team hosted us and provided a post race feast. So after a 7 mile run through a national forest that comes rubies to blow my mind.... w a salmon feast. Late July the salmon run and they caught a boatload the day before our race, did some joe blow Alaskan marinade overnight to the salmon, and then imagine 180 racers that are famished having so much salmon (all cooked outdoors) there were tons of leftovers. Thy shrugged off the qty if salmon like it was no big deal.

the cruise /ship part of it all became a means to see the most awesome nothing I've ever seen (that didn't have bark and fat on it). Dk what you can to get off the beaten path. It took me 47 years to have the stones to do it and just can't say enough how that was the BEST decision I ever made.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Great pics!!!

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
              My dad & I have a 'plan' to drive to AK from central MI (neither of us want to fly) take the boat, fish along the way in every state (Canada too), and fish there when we make it. I need of course to find a way to get a month off work and the cash to make this happen before it's not possible with him. Good to know that somewhere there's some BBQ along the way!
              Huskee, do what it takes to make this trip happen. Alaska is magnificent! I motorcycled there solo, from Charleston, SC in 2005 and made another trip there, by pickup, with my adult daughter in 2014. Both trips were experiences of a lifetime, but the trip with my daughter was especially memorable. Somehow, someway do the trip with your dad.

If it is of interest to you, or anyone else for that matter, my daughter and I blogged our trip as a way of documenting it and preserving the memories. The photo navigation does not work as it should, the best way to view the pictures is to go to the photo page and look at the ones of interest from there. Alaska2014

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the nudge, and for sharing the blog. Beautiful shots!

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Very Very cool!!!! Wonderful pictures. Alaska is so full of everything amazing. Truly a remarkable and special part of the globe. Thanks for sharing!!!

Went there, also in July, around 2003. Brought home 2 whole salmon and a bag full of Ulus (everyone got Ulus for Christmas that year).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here