Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woohoo Wet-Age Me!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this big ol' dude is hanging in the Pit Barrel in THREE PIECES.

I was going to do two layers of grates in the 26" kettle with the point on the top layer, but it I would have had to still cut it into three pieces.

The stinkin' flat turned out to be almost as long as the entire brisket, 21+ inches.

The flat on this thing after wet-aging for 43 days from purchase and almost 3 days of dry brining will compete with any Prime flat that's for sure. The fat and tenderness was very obvious while applying the rub.

Thanks to the VENTA the barrel is hanging steady at 265-266. The Smoke alarm will wake me up if things cool off too much when the meat stalls.

Comment

Sounds great Jerod. Lookin' forward to the final results and pics.

Comment

Jerod Broussard thanks for putting this post back up. This answers my question as to how you wet age your briskets. Do ever do this with butts?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Heck NO! Buy pork, dry brine pork, eat pork.

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what I thought.

I think they have plenty bark, but I'm going to let them go a little longer since they are all double hooked. The point is at 172 internal. I'm 7 hours in at 1030hrs CST and not serving until about 1900hrs.

I used less than a full basket of a KBB and B & B mixture. Overnight temps in the upper 30's.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170226_101440.jpg Views:	1 Size:	426.9 KB ID:	281136

Comment

Bark is plenty set. Some of the thin edges made for some pretty good jerky like treats. You can't get that with an aerodynamically trimmed brisket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170226_104945.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	281161

Comment

• dirtman
            dirtman commented
            Editing a comment
            Jerod, looks awesome! I have never tried aging beef at home but you have inspired me to try it. Have you tried steaks beef roasts?

dirtman I have not tried other roasts. Brisket seems like it would benefit the most.

I took this dude over 200 internal and let it rest a little over 3 hours and that sucker was piping hot when I sliced it up and chopped it.

​​​​​​I chopped up a little bit by hand, the rest of it I ran through the grinder with a 20 millimeter plate. Most of the fatty stuff does a lot better in the grinder. Feeding the masses you have to give what the masses want.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170226_172141.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	281451Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170226_173440.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	281452

Comment

Great looking cook Jerod. I still haven't done chopped brisket. I always slice it up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here