Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woohoo Wet-Age Me!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woohoo Wet-Age Me!!!

Started today. Pushing for 40 days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170108_195834.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	261352Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170108_195813.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	261353Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170108_195821.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	261354

That's an awesome price, and a big brisket.

Comment

• edible hen
      edible hen commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep you're gonna end up with some good cooking off of that. Is it gonna fit on the 26"?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      It should, I'm really thinking about a hovergrill of some sort. That way the bottom gets good airflow too.

• edible hen
      edible hen commented
      Editing a comment
      You should play it safe and send it to me. I have plenty of space for that monster

Nice, keep us posted

Comment

Nice pick up. 40-days is a sweet spot.

Comment

Jeeeze. I thought the 14lbr you did today was big.
        Does Weber make a 32" ?????

Comment

Geez - They cost at least 4 times that per pound here. Yours would be around $160 - if I could find it...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Choice is rare here. Well, they are all rare (uncooked) but 99% of my selection is sifting through Selects.

Heck, I would take a Select for $1.97 per pound! The absolute best I have seen around Baltimore is $3.43/pound for a Choice flat. And that was at the commissary. My nearest butcher sells whole packers for $5.49/pound. You could probably ship me a 20 pounder for less than I could get it here. I have seen it anywhere from $7-9/ pound.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thunder77 - I don't think so. When we were visiting our son in Austin, I thought I would buy a prime packer from Costco and ship it home. It was over $100 for two day any way I could ship it. After we got home, I realized I could have boxed it and checked it as baggage for $25.

Nice score. So you can keep it cryovaced for about a month past the sell by date?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Typically our briskets are dated on the box and I don't see the boxes. I figure they make it to the store within 5 days.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          A month past the "packed on" date, not the sell by date. Always ask the butcher for the packed on date if not on the label.

Jerod Broussard I'll ask a basic question because I'm still learning. How do you wet-age this? Just leave it in its packaging, or something different?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, leave it in the fridge in original cryovac make sure no holes. The absolute best briskets I have ever had that my wife still talks about that I cooked, were 3 years ago and we're both wet aged between 40 and 43 days. Both Choice.

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard thanks!

Brisket=GO TO COSTCO! (Unless you can get it for $1.97/lb elsewhere).

Comment

That's one heck of a score! I was on a bit of a brisket hunt last weekend and the best price I could find around here was 3.47 lb at Sam's Club.
          Last edited by ribeyeguy; January 9, 2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            We've been at a $1.97 for some time. Very little Choice.

I've wet aged briskets to 60 days, great! Beyond 60 the texture starts to break down, still tasty though

Comment

Obviously there can be variations but I spoke with a guy that worked in big beef plants and he said most of the briskets should easily make it to the stores within three days of packing.

Comment

That is a monster! I snagged a full brisket, 15 lb for $4.88 and thought I was good. Wow!

Comment

Wow, never thought of keeping one in the packaging that long past the "Sell by" date. I might have to try this.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here