Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Not Pastrami, It's a Spiritual Experience!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Not Pastrami, It's a Spiritual Experience!

Wow! I just sampled my "Close to Katz's" pastrami right out of the steamer. My knees buckled. I had to sit down. The beautiful brownish black crust, the zing of the pepper, the lemony coriander, and the cherry wood Smoke blended to make a flavor explosion! This is another store bought thing ruined forever for me. It's a lot of work, but it is so rewarding!

I took a 6.4 pound flat, and cured it with MH's recipe. It was thick, so I let it go 12 days, flipping and stirring every day. After the cure I desalinated about 12 hours. I cut off 2 pounds to save as corned beef for the wife. Rubbed the rest down good and heavy with Meathead's pastrami rub. Into the fridge for one day. Then I set up the SnS, and fired her up to 250, and slapped that hunk of cow on there. About 6.5 hours later I hit 165, and had plenty of bark, so it came off and went back into the fridge. Cranked up the steamer tonight, and HOOOOOOEEEEE!! Tastebud nirvana!
    Attached Files

That really looks special.

In Chicago Vienna Beef had (probably still there)a factory outlet with a sandwich section that we would frequently go to for lunch. They piled it on, corned beef, brisket, pastrami, tongue, and etc.

Pastrami was outstanding.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Still have the factory store. Still open, despite the massive construction to modernize that intersection and get rid of the 53rd ward (a local comedian does a bit where he's the alderman who represented a traffic triangle at that intersection).

Congrats on a successful cook - it looks wonderful.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron!

Oh man, that looks outstanding

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Thunder77 Glad it turned out so wonderful! Job Well Done, Sir! Enjoy!!!

Comment

You have convinced me that i have to start doing this. So many posts about the pastrami and curing last year but your photos have put me over the edge. Great job!

Comment

That looks out of this world good! Congrats.

Comment

That looks amazing. I have to carve out some time to try this.

Comment

Nice work! I am now pulling a brisket out of the freezer to make pastrami. Thanks for the nudge!

Comment

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You betcha!!

Awesome! I've made it several times, absolutely delish! I must admit that I cheat and use a store bought corned beef and desalinate. :-)

Comment

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nothing wrong with that! The whole process does take a long time. It took 12 days to cure the brisket.

• Atalanta
                  Atalanta commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's how I plan to do my first one, cut down on variables. I'll wait until March, though. They go on special around the 17th for some reason

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Definitely try the cure yourself though. It is worth it.

Time for a Reuben or two - look for some natural 'kraut. CaptainMike Mike , you may have enough time for homemade!

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We have a guy that makes locally fresh 'kraut and it's the best I've had (including the wife's)

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Some years ago I gave my brother a "Reuben kit" for his birthday: my homemade pastrami, my wife's homemade rye, our homemade kraut, some good swiss, and some kind of a dressing we put together. Great fun for all!

looks incredible!!! I have yet to do this one yet.

Comment

That looks mighty fine! Too bad you're don't live a little closer ... I'd gladly swap you some freshly made sauerkraut for a couple of slices ... ...

Comment

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    MBMorgan, I would gladly share a sandwich with you for some fresh sauerkraut!! πŸ‘

Thunder77, The others Said It All! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here