Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: How do you eat your steak / beef roasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: How do you eat your steak / beef roasts?

I realize medium-rare or "chef temp" is probably the most popular. Equally popular (although maybe not here per se) would be the "no pink, pink is gross" crowd. I often wonder if we couldn't see colors, just black & white, if the "no pink" crowd would still say well done is better. I think I know the answer to that one!

Thoughts?
    "Blue" (very rare, cold center)
    0%
    Rare
    13.24%
    Medium-rare
    66.18%
    Medium
    17.65%
    Medium-well
    0%
    Well done
    0%
    It depends on the cut (explain below)
    2.94%

I voted medium-rare. I will also gladly eat medium if I overshoot it, which I will openly admit happens occasionally. I will eat rare too, but I don't prefer rare.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto for me. lately, I sous vide my ribeye to 128°F, then slap it on a VERY hot flat GrillGrate surface for half a minute or so per side. HEAVEN!

I'm a medium rare guy... 130° to 135° maximum finished interior cooking temperature, after any carryover cooking, which must be anticipated. Scary Mary prefers closer to 140° though... thank goodness for the Thermapen.👍

Comment

Both of my parents were raised on farms where everything was cooked to death - all meats and all veges. So that's the way I was raised, and the way I ordered steak when eating out. One time it came medium and I didn't want to send it back because I was with a group. That's when I discovered what steak could really taste like.
      I shoot for just a bit less than medium now so that I don't overshoot medium. I'd rather eat medium rare than medium well now. And since I found this site, I can usually hit my temps pretty close.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny I and my wife came from a similar situation. It wasn't until I read somewhere, pretty sure it was before AR though, that medium-rare was how high end steakhouses served their steaks. I started shooting for that and was convinced right away it was a better experience. My wife was harder to convince, but now she too orders MR if we go to a nice steak place.

• Lowjiber
        Lowjiber commented
        Editing a comment
        Growing up, we had a lot of breaded, pan-fried pork chops. My mother cooked those suckers until you could use one to beat a truck tire off the rim.

Prefer medium-rare.

I can do rare to well-done no problem.

Comment

Rare to medium rare for me. I've eaten steak cool in the center and enjoyed it, but prefer a little more done. Nothing wrong with carpaccio but prefer my steaks/roasts at least warm in the middle.

Comment

Last fall we went to a high-end steakhouse called Coach Insignia, which is on the top (72nd) floor of the former tallest hotel in the USA in Detroit MI, the GM Renaissance. Anyway, the wife & I ordered NY Strips (my favorite steak if given the choice) and she looked at me and asked how she should order it. I said "how do I make them at home, and how much do you like them?" to which she promptly looked at the waiter and said "medium-rare". I was so proud.

We loved the steak, very very good and no real complaints other than another dash of salt would've pleased me....but it wasn't my favorite in Detroit. Michael Symon's "Roast" steakhouse was my favorite Detroit steak, and I'd say second favorite steakhouse steak thus far. I forget who I ate there with. David Parrish do you remember?

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            It was ME. #howcouldyouforget

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya know I went back there two or three more times and it was never as good as that time we went. They hit a high note that night.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            David Parrish #itmayhavebeenthewine #itmayhavebeenthecompany

My wife will eat medium if it's dark and she can't see the steak.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Again my question on if we all seen only in black & white, how would we prefer our steak when the mouth is the only judge?

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee my wife and daughter would eat beef med rare to med IF they couldn't see the pink. It's a visual ick factor for them.

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a good excuse for some candlelight dinners.

With a knife & fork and a side scoop of Secretariat Sauce!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            In other words, "yes please" and doneness matters little?

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            No, I voted Medium Rare, but I'll really eat steak any way. Can't wait til the fresh herbs are back to try a board sauce on an overdone steak. Sometimes it does happen!

If I trust the restaurant and it's for my consumption, rare. If it is ground, med rare. If it is somewhere that doesn't specialize, or I'm sharing with the wife, med rare.

Comment

What a difference a Sous Vide machine makes. I will eat things much more rare if using my Anova and then searing on the grill. If I'm grilling from beginning to end, I like them more medium. I am one of the few out there who prefers my tri-tip smoked and with very little pink on the inside. My daughter would argue with my vote - she is a blood rare person no matter what for steak. However, with the tri-tip, she likes it smoked. Now Breadhead kind of messed that up. I did his Sous Vide thing on a tri-tip and made one on the rare side. I think he made a convert out of her there. So I had to vote "Depends". By the way, Huskee - good polls lately. They are fun. Thanks.

Comment

Rare to medium rare

Comment

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
                By the way, Huskee - good polls lately. They are fun. Thanks.
                Always looking for ways to make The Pit fun. Even if it means making fun of DWCowles and Pit Boss.

Comment

Rare Plus is the new medium rare... or so i've heard. I think its just a fad. Finding a midpoint between rare and medium rare is like picking fly shiat out of pepper.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Must be a good 128 degrees?

• CurlingDog
                    CurlingDog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    that might be a bit low Huskee ... med rare minus? I'd probably be shot and told to leave the resturant (in that order) if i ordered my meat that way!

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You said "rare plus", rare is ~125F. Am I missing something? Regardless, steak on!

To address your point about the visual influence--I can't imagine enjoying a well done steak under any circumstances. As for rare, I like a warmer center--no visual there either, plus I've had a couple of rare steaks--both time strips/sirloin that were just too darned chewy. Not sure if it was the fault of being rare or being sirloin. I do love a nice carpaccio; however. Never had to chance to do tartar.
                  Last edited by Willy; December 22, 2016, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The thing about carpaccio is they've sliced it so thin they pretty much did the chewing for you!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here