Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket 2.0 With A Goof-Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket 2.0 With A Goof-Up!

I decided to do a cook over the Thanksgiving weekend. My first thought was to try to knock off a turkey since we were guests at another home for the feast and didn't have turkey of our own. Then I thought, nah, let's go with a brisket, which would be my second attempt. I poached on a friend's Costco membership and scored a whole packer...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket_PreTrim.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	244308

I wet aged this puppy for 9 days in the fridge then did a trim job on it in preparation of a cook scheduled for yesterday. Whoa Nelly! I got 4 ibs. 5 oz. of fat off of that beast...

Name:	Brisket_Trimmed.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	244309

Next step was dry brining the now 10.3 lbs. brisket using the 0.5 teaspoon/pound recipe. After 12 hours of brining, I injected it with, and this is where I screwed up, beef broth, sugar, Worcestershire WITH added salt - WRONG! The injection was allowed to permeate the meat for 24 hours before starting the cook. I used the mustard slather routine topped with Meat Heads beef rub...

Name:	Brisket_Rubbed.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	244310

I got a 0230 start time for serving at 1900. Pit rig was Weber 22 inch with a SnS and KBB coals. Used 11 oz. of oak wood for the smoke. At 1300 and an internal temp of 171*, I wrapped it in foil and continued cooking until it got to 205* at 1630, at which point, it went into the faux Cambro for 2.5 hours where the temperature dropped to 180*. On to the cutting board it went. Funny thing about outdoor cooking is that the scent of smoke and meat drifts all over the neighborhood and sometimes you get visitors drawn to the source of the stimulus. Well, look who showed up before carving, it's Brookie! This may be the only known photograph of him without a fly rod in his hand ...

Name:	Briske_n_Brookie.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	244311

Here's what it looked like sliced...

Name:	Briisket_Finished.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	244312

The good news is that the meat was very tender, juicy, had a good bark with the right amount of smoke. The bad part, and it really wasn't horrible, was over salting it. Oh well, there's always the next time and there are big red notes in my cooking log to prevent this particular goof-up in the future. I'm sure I will find other ways to mess up, but that's what learning is all about, right?

Nice pics. I'm 99.999% Halophile so your salty brisket would have been just fine with me.

Comment

Looks Great to me! Love seeing that juice on the carving board!!

Comment

Excellent looking result! Unlike Jerod Broussard , I'm more of a "halophobe" so, like you, I'm sure that I'd be looking to lighten the saltiness next time, too.

Comment

It's always a pleasure to attend a OEJ dinner party. Yeah we pulled a little meat off the corner before cutting it and agreed it was on the salty side for us. However, it was devoured in short order along with all the other great dishes. Brisket 3.0 will be a perfect 10. Grill on! Brookie.

Comment

Great pics and great walk through of the cook. Sounds like you pretty well nailed it other than double jeopardy on the salt. BBQ is a journey and you will only get better and better at it as you go along. Looking forward to hearing about your next brisket cook.

Comment

Great job, thanks fer postin' details, etc.!!!

Comment

Yum! Looks awesome.

Comment

I'd eat that.

Comment

We had left overs tonight. Surprisingly, the excess saltiness didn't prevail. Maybe I'm still too sleepy to notice. Nevertheless, the next brisket will be closer to perfect. I really get a sense of accomplishment from cooking when it turns out right. Putting the time into plating a nice dinner for your friends makes it all worthwhile.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed! I experienced that Fri and Sat nights this past week. It's fulfilling to put on a good spread for friends and family. Not to boost egos, but to provide a great and memorable experience to those at your table. It makes all the pre-cook prep, getting up early, smelling like smoke, dealing with the weather, etc, all worth it!

Looks fine! Thanks for the post!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here