Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket - Cooking in smaller portions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket - Cooking in smaller portions?

So what are your thoughts on cutting up a Brisket into smaller portions before smoking? I'm thinking it would create much more bark, much like some of us have moved to slicing ribs before cooking. How small of a portion would you go, to still allow plenty of time to create a tender result?

Lots of people will separate the flat & point, which I'm sure is no revelation to you. That's where your biggest gain would be. As far as cutting further, like cutting the flat in half, is that what you mean? If so, the only extra bark you'd gain would be the ends, which isn't much. It wouldn't affect cook time, since the thickness is the same it's just two smaller pieces taking the same time. I'd only mess with it if I had to for space reasons, or for curing into corned beef/pastrami, to make it more manageable in the cure. But that's me.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. Not only in half, but 1/4, or 1/8. etc. Just trying to figure out how these chopped brisket sandwiches that I've been eating (3 or 4 of a week) can all have so much bark.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      TheCountofQ Gotcha. Not knowing what exactly you've had or from whom, guessing they might be burnt ends? Or maybe they do use really small hunks. Experiment!

Totally agree with Huskee on this one

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here