Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-Tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-Tip?

I picked up a package of beef in Sam's yesterday that is supposedly tri-tip. I'm not sure it is, so I'm here asking those who are familiar with this cut. We don't see tri-tip much around here and I've read here that a lot of cuts sold east of California are not really trip-tips. These cuts are about 1.25" thick. Also I would welcome suggestions on cooking this beef, regardless of whether it is trip-tip or not.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0662.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	234785Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0663.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	234786Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0664.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	234787Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	234788

Could very well be sliced tri-tip. It does have some loooooong grains. And it is from the bottom sirloin primal.

Comment

I would defer to smokinfatties he cooks a lot of these. But to me, it looks like they are cut in half, length wise. But the do look like try-tips. But I am not an expert on this cut. Others will chime in.

Comment

Whatever it is, it's nicely marbled. At 1.25" thick, I'd cook it like a steak - reverse sear, and that's the same way you cook Tri-Tip anyway.

Comment

That is not a traditional tri-tip but does look like tri-tip strips. A tri-tip is a triangular cut. I have heard that some places sell tri-tip strips. I agree with how you would cook it. I put a liberal amount of rub on tri tip and I smoke them. Due to the extra surface area you have with these if I had them I would be a little less liberal with the rub I use and would cook them on a higher heat like a steak. I might even go another route with a marinade, cut them into large cubes and put them on a skewer over direct heat. Since you have four pieces you could even experiment with something different for each strip and report the results.

Comment

I agree. Doesn't look like the traditional tri tip cut. Still, you could cook it indirect, sear at the end and cut across the grain. The marbling looks pretty good...

Comment

As Jerod Broussard said, it looks like it might be sliced tri-tip. I agree with the suggestions to reverse sear it. Start indirect at 225 degrees (or in a sous vide hot tub at about 125) then Warp 10 heat to finish it.

Comment

They package those as Tri tip steaks out here. I have friends that buy that and they just grill it like a regular steak and cut against the grain for serving. I'm not a big fan of Tri Tip steaks.

Comment

As a Californian we see tri tips a lot. Those are tri tip steaks, or coulotte steaks as they are sometimes called here. I think they cut and sell those for folks who don't want a whole TT. Cook them as you would any other steak. They might be a little chewier than say a NY strip, but should have great beef flavor.

Comment

This is how I usually see tri tips in California...

Click image for larger version

Name:	tritip.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	235004

Comment

Looks like tri-tip steaks and that's what the package label says they are.

Comment

A couple of people here have advocated cooking a Tri-tip like a brisket, taking it to probe-tender at about 200F or so. I would be tempted to try that with one of those.

Comment

• ecowper
                          ecowper commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Considering how fantastic Tri-Tip is when cooked properly to medium rare, I have never been tempted to cook it any other way :-)

• tbob4
                          tbob4 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Try cooking it between 220- 225 for 4 hours. Not a bit higher in cooking temp. Let it rest, foiled, for at least 1/2 hour. It's different than a lot of people cook it but it's absolutely awesome.

• CaptainMike
                          CaptainMike commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I did that for a dinner party and was terrified that would be overcooked and dry, but it turned out really good. Not quite as good as a brisket, but close and 1/4 of the time.

Those are what are called "tri-tip steaks" .... a Tri-Tip roast that has been cut in strips. I buy those at Costco at times. I cook them very similarly to how I cook a Tri-Tip itself. Slowly bring the meat up to about 125 using indirect heat. Then sear over direct heat for 3-4 minutes per side until you have a good maillard reaction (i.e. Meat is well browned and a bit crunchy). Internal temp should be about 135 ... slice ... or serve each person a Tri-Tip steak, depending on preference.
                        Last edited by ecowper; October 30, 2016, 10:37 PM.

Comment

It looks like the pro's here have it covered, so I will give you a standard FaceBook BBQ page response. "It's obvious you don't know what you are buying as this is clearly chicken tenderloin strips." Cook them low and slow at 400F for 6 hours, beware of the stall though, chicken can be tricky. Power through the chicken stall by increasing smoker temp to 500F. Thanks for asking me for advice, and happy cooking!

Comment

• Shane Rakow
                            Shane Rakow commented
                            Editing a comment
                            heheheh...gotta love it.

• boftx
                            boftx commented
                            Editing a comment
                            What's sad is that there are people who believe that, and they vote.

• RonB
                            RonB commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It's people like that that make me think Eugenics might not be such a bad idea...

These look like sliced up tri tip roasts. Sometimes the costcos in CA will cut them into smaller steaks like this, although I haven't tried them- the whole roasts cook nicer. BUT... you're on to something. Maybe ask the butcher if he can not cut them up so you can get the whole tri tip roast. Those are better to cook

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here