Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unexpected brisket problem - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected brisket problem - help!

I put the packer on at 2 AM and it looks and smells great. BUT the point end is at 195* and probe tender, (like a knife through butter), but the flat end is at 188* and not so tender. I would have thought it would be the other way around and the flat would be the lower temp. It seems like a fast cook to me too - 9.5 lbs @ 225*, (rock steady at 225*), in 10 hours.

So do I leave it on until the flat is probe tender and possibly overcook the pointy end, or cambro it now?

Thanx.

Those temps are damn close my friend. Just wrap it and it will help to even it out. At this point, your almost done. No need to panic. Just wrap it let it go for a few more mins and you will be good. The point can go a bit over 202 F no problem. It will give the rest of the biz time to catch up. I would not be worried about those different temps at all. They are almost the same at this point in the cook.

If its already wrapped, let it ride till the flat gets to 198-202 F. Then pull it. The fatty point cant take the extra heat.

Comment

I agree with Spinaker . Foil it and run it up to 202F then pull it off and do the 1-2 hour faux cambro rest. It will be very good!

Comment

Thanx all. I'll put a probe in the flat and monitor - it's already wrapped.

Comment

Agreed ... plus, point = burnt ends ... yum!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            yuuuuuup!!!

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely... Cut the point into cubes, put some sauce on it and put it back in your smoker while the flat finishes.👍 That's my standard operating procedure for brisket now. The point always finishes before the flat.

Points get butter tender waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early. In fact, when my flats are probe tender, I can cube the point (which is plenty butter tender) and it is really too tough, and needs more time to render down some more, then sauce and caramelize.

Comment

I say cut the point off and FTC it, leave the flat in until done.

Comment

Thanx again to all. The cook was a huge success. I will do another post about the whole experience - complete with photos, but it will take a while to recover first...

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Loosen your belt buckle a few notches and take a nap...😆

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here