Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midwest tri-tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midwest tri-tips?

I spent the first 27 years of my life in California. I know tri-tips. I have probably cooked 1000+ and eaten 300+ more. I believe there is no better gift from God. Since 2010, I have lived in North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado. In that time I have never seen a tri-tip that looks like they do in California. They are extremely fatty and look different. I am wondering if the cows out here are different, or if they just ship all the good ones to California because they know what a good tri-tip looks like.

My wife stopped at Safeway a few months ago because they have the only Starbucks in our town. Naturally I ran back to the meat counter to look for deals. I come across a stack of tri-tips. I check the tag and it said it was a roast (I forget what kind) and it was $3.99 a lb. What is wrong with these people? Needless to say I bought 7 tri-tips, and they weren't too bad.

It is so bad that when my parents drove out from California I asked them to bring me a dozen tri-tips and a dozen loaves of sourdough. The sourdough sucks out here too. I guess I will end my rant and ask if anyone else notices bad tri-tips in the other 49 states also.

I'm in Vegas. You must have missed my pics of the tri-tips I've cooked here.

Comment

Originally posted by boftx View Post
      I'm in Vegas. You must have missed my pics of the tri-tips I've cooked here.
      You do realize that you are really close to California, right? I only found 1 of your pics, and I like your slicing method. Kinda pie slicing to stay against the grain is really the best way. That is my biggest complaint about the tri-tip info here. If I had to slice 500 tri-tips a day, I would probably just hack it in half, turn 90 degrees and slice away. Really not correct though.

Comment

Tri-Tip is a regional specialty and you don't live in that region anymore. It's hard. Get the regional specialties of the new place.

Comment

we get tri-tip deals quite frequently in WI (Madison area). every one that i've made/eaten has been awesome

Comment

We get great tri-tip in Colorado - Costco always has them, as do many of the better meat suppliers at farmer's markets. I had some excellent tri-tip from Alder Springs that I bough online that I would recommend without reservation.

Comment

Buy your tri-tip at Costco if you can. Costco knows how to cut it. I am originally from the Central Valley ... tri-tip is in my blood, too. I buy all of mine at Costco. I tried buying tri-tip at the local grocery store (Safeway, Fred Meyer) and it is always cut poorly, needs trimming because they left way too much fat on, or just plain hacked.

Comment

There are only 2 Tri-Tip's per cow (just like briskets) so the supply is some what limited. The Tri-Tip fade started in Santa Maria, Ca years ago. Now a days EVERY store that sells meat in California carries Tri-Tip. Special grills were created to grill that piece of meat... It's called a Santa Maria grill. You can buy the traditional Santa Maria Tri-Tip rub here in most stores too. It probably should be named the California state meat.😆
                If you're outside the state of California and you don't find it in your store, ask the butcher to order it for you. Every cow has 2 so he will know what you're asking for. Pricing might be a problem though. I've seen guys in the Pit mention paying insanely high prices for it.

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know... They have people that plot and planning how to pick our pockets on each trip to one of their stores.😡 Those 60" TV's right when you walk in the door.😡 My 50" TV is still working and now their tempting with bigger and better for less money.🙄
                  Last edited by Breadhead; September 6, 2016, 10:12 PM.

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The TV's are killing me. I have two 46" Samsungs, 1 in the LR and 1 in the game room. And I am really feeling the need to upgrade every time I walk in Costco. Then the little voice in my head says "what would your wife say?"

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We both have MCS, we know that. Maybe we have MTVS too. More Television Syndrome. We're screwed. Our discretionary cash reserves are spoken for. Add meat, wine and flour to that and we have no hope.😡

Snake river farms/ Roll ranch sells them online for a hefty penny - $50-75 a piece for 2-3lbs (CAB+/Wagyu). I get the Wagyu ones from a friend that gets them at cost from a large supplier at about $15/lb. They are excellent but in CA we get costco prime Tri Tips for $8-10/lb and they are excellent- not sure if costco in your area carries them or if you could ask the meat manager at costco to special order them.

Brandt beef also supposedly has excellent ones but i have never purchased online. Looks like they are a little more reasonable at $129 for 10lbs of prime, or $109 for 10lbs of choice. you may want to give them a call to see if they'll work with you on price.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Funny thing is, I get the 2 pack of Costco Prime tri-tips for $6.99/lb in WA. That's the only thing I buy. I've tried the grocery store and the butcher shop and they just don't know how to cut and trim correctly.

• smokinfatties
                  smokinfatties commented
                  Editing a comment
                  those are my all time favorite for the price!

So those 2 packs for $6.99 are prime? I wasn't aware of that. I have been buying the big cryovac bags of 4-6 choice roasts at a time and trimming for $4.79lb. Been vacuum packing and building my stock pile. Im new to tri tip I general and the choice roasts are incredible as it is! Prime? I gotta get me some of these!

Tri tip has become one of my top favorite meals overnight! The fact that there so cheap is the icing on the cake. I can understand the frustration of not being able to find them all the sudden. I guess we're lucky up here in Washington state.

Comment

• smokinfatties
                  smokinfatties commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They sometimes have both choice and prime (at least in CA). Prime are in blue trays and choice are in white trays. They are excellent! One of my favorites too. They take on a little smoke, dont take too long to cook and end up super tender!

Dude, I'll trim all day long for $4.79/lb .... I have a little Costco near me and they don't carry quite everything the large warehouses do.

Comment

• jbeck1986
                  jbeck1986 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The other day I picked up a 17 lb cryovac pack that was $60 and some odd cents. They were pretty ruff trimmed. I think I trimmed off like 3 lb of fat and silver skin. Price per pound I guess was like $3.50?

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Damn, I'm gonna have to run up to Issaquah and grab a cryovac there. That's so worth it.

None of the stores near me (southwest Ohio) carry tri-tip. Costco doesn't carry tri-tip either, and said they can't even order them for me.

Comment

I've only seen tri-tip once in this town. Which makes it 100% more common than Prime Brisket Packers.

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jerod... You need to find a local butcher. ALL cows have 2 full packer Briskets and 2 Tri-Tips.

Tell them you want your fair share!😎

• badf00d
                    badf00d commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One butcher near me said he doesn't even get whole cows. They've already taken the tri-tips for the western states before he gets them, along with some other cuts.

When you ask for a tri-tip here in NE PA, you get blank stares and "What's that?"

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You have to edumacate butchers outside of California. Take a meat cutting chart with you next time. Their blank stare will change to curiosity and they MIGHT want to try it.😎 You could start a trend.👍

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here