Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody try grillin' frozen steaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody try grillin' frozen steaks?

I just received this article from Thermoworks about grilling steaks straight from the freezer, so I naturally had to ask if anyone here has done it, and what did you think about the resulting steaks?

Powersmoke does a frozen steak

Comment

Never dunnit with streaks, but have with burgers many times and I could never tell the slightest difference vs thawing first and cooking. It was more convenient in the case of burgers for sure. From T-works' email it appears the same holds true for steaks.

Comment

I've done tons of frozen burgers. Especially when I've bought the pre-made, frozen patties at Costco. I know, I know, don't beat me up, I was cooking burgers for like 40 people. But that worked pretty well to just throw the frozen burgers straight on the grill.

Never tried it with anything else, though.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. Cant beat those Costco burgers for post season parties and such.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, and they are pretty decent taste and quality wise for store bought patties. I did it for a huge Super Bowl party a couple years ago.

I have done them in the past, here's the post but note Pit Boss's comment at #11
        Well, I was trying to decide what to have for dinner so went to the deep freezer and seen the Omaha steaks that I received as a gift but never think in advance to

Comment

Probably ate 100's of frozen-to-grill burgers growing up. Never tried it with a steak.

Comment

Hmmm... Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.😆

Comment

Do it all the time
              works fine with reverse sear

Comment

If you can take a frozen burger from the freezer straight to the grill there's no reason why you can't do the steak the same.

Comment

Okay, I may just have to try this. If I can go from frozen solid to beautiful medium rare in 35-40 minutes on a NY Strip I'm gonna be pretty happy :-)

Comment

1. Use indirect heat with a two-zone fire setup
                  2. The steaks need to be thick
                  3. Temperature tracking with an instant-read thermometer like the new faster ThermoPop®.
                  What does "thick" mean? The article doesn't say. Inconceivable. It just advises you "stick to thick-cut steaks" without any indication of how thick they're talking about.

Moreover I thought when you freeze meat, water turning to ice enlarges and bursts the cell walls of the internal structure of the meat, making it less tasty.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
                    Powersmoke_80 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did 3/4" -1" thick and they turned out fine.

• Lost in China
                    Lost in China commented
                    Editing a comment
                    See, that's the problem. There's 100% margin of error there in those two figures. "Thick" is so vague as to be meaningless. Why do recipe writers do this?

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lost... Thick and thin, is a cooking technique, not the exact thickness of the meat. Under an inch requires a different technique than an 1 1/4" piece of meat.

I read the same article and tried it tonight. The Thermopen article directions were to sear at the beginning. I sear in the rear but this time I did a light sear at the beginning using grill grates. I then moved the steaks to the indirect side of the grill for about 35 mins at about 250 degrees finishing with another sear.

The results were great and indistinguishable from cooking thawed steaks. I cooked a Snake a Rivers Farms filet for the wife and ate a Double R Sirloin. I had tried both a couple weeks back cooking once the steaks were thawed.

I will certainly cook them the same way again.

Comment

When I cooked on a gasser, we always cooked frozen ribeye (1.5"-2" thick). My butcher told me to let the grill get to Mach 10 then sear both sides, turn the gas down to its lowest setting and let her go. It will take a while but great juicy medium rare steaks. Or so I thought...
                    Once educated by this site and #MeatheadTheBook on the benefits of dry brining I don't think I will ever intentionally cook a frozen steak again. Dry brining is simply magic and the results are significant when you add a reverse sir, in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for posting this topic and the link to the article. It never occurred to me that cooking a frozen steak was possible so I tried it straight away. I've now cooked frozen ribeye's over lump the last two nights and the results were very good.

What strikes me about this method is that since the sear takes a good 12-15 minutes there is more leeway in the time it takes to over sear. Of course it will take practice but with a normal reverse sear sometimes it's only a matter of seconds to go from beautiful to burnt when searing over very hot coals. The frozen method seems more forgiving.

Also since the end of the cook is slow and indirect there is less chance of overcooking. The temp of the steak is moving up slower than with a reverse sear and there is less carry over cooking. So I'm less likely to miss my target temp.

There is still more testing to do but I'm thinking that if I have thawed steaks I will cook them the conventional way. But if I have frozen steaks I won't bother thawing them. I don't think I'd freeze a steak on purpose to cook it if I didn't have to. But that may change.........Also when I'm going to freeze steaks for later I will dry brine them for maybe a day before I freeze them.

I'm going to try and post some pics of last nights eye of ribeye but I'm new here so maybe it won't show. I'm definitely impressed with how even the doneness is from top to bottom on these cooked from frozen steaks. Unfortunately I didn't take pics the first night and I think which turned out better looking.

Thanks,
                      Mark

Doesn't look like the pics are going to show. I will look into this when I have more time........

Comment

That's one great looking steak. You have a non-existent gray ring around the outside of the steak, and the inside looks perfect to me.
                        As far as posting photos, try posting directly from your hard drive - not through a service like photobucket.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here