Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with brisket fat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with brisket fat?

Here is an odd problem to have...I think. First, I must brag on a proud moment. My daughter turns 10 next week and is having a birthday party this weekend. When I asked her what she wanted to serve, out of anything she could think of, she said "that's easy, of course, brisket"! I guess we are raising her right!

now to the issue at hand. I have just trimmed 4 briskest for this weekend and have them dry brining. I have a guy I always buy from (choice and prime, depending what he has) and I get them for about $2/lb. they aren't well trimmed but do come about 18-20 lbs each. I usually get a couple lbs of fat/little meat of each. Today, one was extremely fatty and in all, I got a little more than 10lbs of mostly fat.

i usually freeze the fat and then later will render and use to baste steaks. But this time, with so much, I am not sure what to do. I never like freezing more than a couple lbs because I don't like keeping it frozen too long...and I cannot each that much steak before this goes bad.

Anyone have any good ideas what to do with all this fat?

Thanks!

Why not render it and use it for general purpose cooking oil?

Also, total congrats on the ten year old daughter asking for brisket! Clearly you are winning.

Comment

Yes, that's a good idea. I am not sure how long it'll last but I suppose a little for a while is better than nothing. I suppose I get fixated on freezing and using later and should look at immediate usage. Thanks!

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Restaurants used to use tallow to fry french fries until the food nazis arrived. Now there seem to be lots of health benefits for using the stuff...

I use mine for deer burger. If you dont want to store that much or dont do deer burger, you could resell it. The grocery store in town sells beef and pork trimmings for $1/#

Comment

The other option is to mix it into your ground beef ... .ground beef makes the best burgers around 70/30 meat to fat in my opinion

Comment

Thanks, all! I like the suggestions. And with more than 10lbs, I am going to render 6 lbs, melt a pound and baste the briskets Saturday, freeze 1 lb for future steak-basting and ground the other 2 lbs with some venison steaks I have in the freezer.

i am most curious to see if the brisket basting has much of an effect. My briskets are always consistently moist and with a great bark. I am not sure if this will help or just go unnoticed....but I may only do it to 2 so at least I'll have 2 I know will turn out!

Comment

I render some of the good, softer fat, and then pour it into Ice Cube trays, freeze it, and then you have easily meltable cubes to make Beef Love with for doing Reverse Sears.

I absolutely saved the fat from my Waygu briskets and made cubes from them - not sure if they tasted better or were just more fun.

I have yet to start the #GrindYourOwnGroundMeat journey, but when I do, we'll have plenty of fat from those Briskets!

Comment

I do the same as PaulstheRibList ... Not all of the 10 pounds will render enough to use it. You will only end up with about 6 pounds of useable fat.
              Attached Files

Comment

I also use it to mix in sausages or hamburger. I cube and freeze it until making up a batch.

Comment

It will freeze for a long time!!! If you end up with more than you can use feed it to the birds this winter, they love it!

Comment

How do you gals/guys render your brisket fat down? I usually just throw them in a large dutch and let it melt down down, but its a pain to get it into the ice tray or the glass jar. Does anyone have a better way to do it? Thanks.

Comment

• Breadhead
                      Breadhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Spin... Just let it cool to room temperature and then pour it into the ice cube trays. I can't think of an easier method.👌

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Same here

In addition to burgers it's useful in summer sausage and other beef/venison sausages that need beef fat. I got lots of pork fat, but beef fat is harder to come by. You paid dearly for that fat so use it wisely.

Comment

On a whim once, I took a couple of big chunks of fat, dredged it in some of the leftover rub, and threw it on the smoker beside my meat, and took it off after a few hours. It was not undelicious (taken in small quantities!)

Comment

When I don't need to save any for rendered beef love or for mixing-in, I just fry it up and feed it to the dog & cats as a treat.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                          PaulstheRibList commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Are you sure you don't live in the south?

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          PaulstheRibList Well, my wife was born in TN, and also lived in FL, VA (or WV?), and MD in her early years. Then was raised in MI the rest of her life. Her whole family is still 'southern', her mom and a couple of her older bros & sis still have a slight southern accent.

• PaulstheRibList
                          PaulstheRibList commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Huskee I knew there was #southernconnection in there somewhere!

I put it in the suet feeder and watch all the mean birds fought over it....they love it

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here