Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket advice needed

I promise I will go back and write my intro soon per the intro page request. I am hosting a party for my twins' first birthday in a couple of weeks and want to serve up some delicious brisket. I realize that there are lots of threads with general advice, but I am looking for some specific help. I have done some reading, but I am having trouble diagnosing my problem and I hope you all can help!

Thanks in advance for reading!

Background

When I moved to Colorado a few years back I brought with me an old cheap offset smoker. It never worked well and a last summer I abandoned it in favor of a Camp Chef DLX pellet smoker. I was looking for something that would require a lot less fire maintenance during long smokes and still make good meat. I have read a lot of discussion about how pellet grills are different than offsets or bullets, but am committed to getting this cooker working well. Full disclosure: I am a nerdy engineer and love the fact there is a PD controller on this unit and that I can instrument and control things.

While having a controller sounds nice, I was having a lot of trouble getting the out of the box unit to maintain a steady temperature. Over the past month I have made a handful of modifications to the grill to seal up the gaping holes that let smoke leak out everywhere. I also added a silicone tadpole gasket around the entire lid and some clamps to keep it in place. I can maintain heat much better than before, but occasionally I will run into problems where newly augered pellets do not catch on fire immediately: the temp plummets down (to 120 or so) and then they finally all pile up and catch and it shoots up high (325+). I think I know what is causing this problem (the chimney cap restricting airflow) and I am going to test a fix this week.

I have a Maverick dual wireless temperature probe so I can see both my meat temperature and the air temperature. After surveying temperatures across the grate, I moved the control probe from the side of the chamber to the rear next to the chimney where I measured the grill at its hottest. When looking at the control probe and the maverick probe they are within 5-10 degrees of each other so I typically use the maverick probe to keep an eye on the smoke temperature. The unit only has settings at 25 degree increments (175, 200, 225, etc) and generally the controller runs such that the temp overshoots the setting by 10-15 degrees on average (less than ideal, I know)

Past briskets

I started a brisket log to help me keep track of all of the details while smoking the past 3 briskets

#1 3.5 lb trimmed flat (USDA Choice) from local meat market (claim only local young beef used)
    #2 6.0 lb trimmed flat (USDA Choice) from Costco
    #3 11.0 lb full packer (USDA Prime) from Costco

Things I kept the same
    • I used a rub very close to Meathead's big bad beef rub. I kept it light using only about 1/8 cup for each brisket (yes the full packer was very lightly rubbed)
    • I salted the meat after trimming for 8-12 hours using 1/2 tsp kosher salt per pound
    • I kept about 1/4" of fat on the fat side and placed it facing down in the smoker
    • Sliced against the grain using this carving knife
    Things that changed

• No water pan
    • 10 hours at 200 setting (approx 210 in chamber)
    • This was before the smoker had the gaskets to help control temp. Many times the temperature flared up to 250
    • Probed with ThermaPen and had temperatures ranging 185-196 right before taking off
    • Rested in cooler 60 minutes
    • My comments when eating it - sliced meat was a little firm/chewy and spicy from being over rubbed. Bark is hard to slice!
    • Added gaskets and clamps, temp much more stable
    • Added a 7 cup water pan (bread loaf pan) and kept it full through out
    • First overnight smoke (woohoo)
    • 8 hours at 175 setting (approx 195 in chamber) (Power went our for one hour and temp dropped very low in smoker)
    • 6 hours at 200 setting (approx 210 in chamber)
    • 1.5 hours at 225 setting (approx 235 in chamber)
    • Took 90 minutes to go from 190 to 200 internal temperature
    • Probed with ThermaPen and had temperatures ranging 200-202
    • Rested in cooler 80 minutes
    • My comments when eating it - not over rubbed (used same amount of rub on more meat) but the bark was very hard to cut and came off in large chunks most of the time. Very tender, but the meat has a "spring" to it. By this I mean I can take a slice and pull on it and the meat separates nicely, but the intramuscular fat is still visible (not fully rendered). Very tasty - best brisket I have ever made! Still not as good as I can buy at a local restuarant, but confirmed that I need to work on temperature control

• First full packer (woohoo). Need to get better at trimming but that is for another day
    • No more mods to smoker or water pan
    • Only filled water pan once (7 cups) because it is very hard to get to
    • 5 hours at 175 setting (approx 195 in chamber)
    • 8 hours at 200 setting (approx 210 in chamber)
    • 1.5 hours at 250 setting (approx 260 in chamber)
    • 5-6 flareups where pellets were not catching (I think it was an airflow problem). Temp dropped to <120 for 10-15 minutes and then shot up to 325-375 for 10-15 minutes. Lots of sooty black smoke. During the hot part of the flareup I can hear fat sizzling in cooker. After removing I could see some charring on the side that was face down.
    • Probed with ThermaPen and had temperatures in the flat ranging 195-203 (some parts of point were 209-214). Thinnest part of flat was coldest.
    • Rested in cooler 90 minutes
    • My comments when eating it - a little under rubbed (used same amount of rub on even more meat) but the bark was very hard to cut and came off in large chunks most of the time. Bark was a little bitter from being burned. Similarly tender to #2 - the lean (flat) side still has the "spring" to it and the intramuscular fat is not fully liquefied. The fatty (point) side was pull apart tender with more liquefied intramuscular fat. Still not as tender as I can buy at a good local restaurant. It was a good brisket, but would have been much better without flareups.

Help I am looking for (pretty please)

Answer what you can - I appreciate your feedback or relevant links! Keep in mind I am trying to get my pellet cooker working better, not buy or use something completely different. I do have a nice electric oven that I would use if needed, plus a gas grill next to my smoker.

I think what I really want to achieve is a more tender brisket where the intramuscular fat has rendered down and the meat "falls apart". This gif shows what I am looking for (I realize this is the large layer of fat between flat and point)

Q1) Based on the above - are my briskets underdone? I have heard the magic internal temperature for a brisket is 203 - should that be the hottest part of the brisket (i.e. everywhere else is 195-200) or the coolest part of the brisket (i.e. everything 205-210)?

Q2) There is a lot of discussion about smoking briskets on the hotter side of the traditional temp of 225. When I am at 210 or below in my chamber is that detrimental? Does cooking hotter have an effect on tenderness?

Q3) Having done only one full packer - how important is it to have uniform thickness on the lean (flat) side? I was surprised to see the thinnest part of the flat was the coolest

Q4) If the temperature is kept low is there a benefit or detriment to keeping the brisket unwrapped (versus using unwaxed butcher paper)? Is this making my bark tougher (and harder to slice - see next question)? I have read that there is a limit to how much flavor can be gained from staying in clean smoke - where is that limit?

Q5) Why is it so hard for me to slice and not rip the bark off in large chunks? I have seend suggestions for serated knives or electic slicers. I have also seen that with a sharp knife and the right technique, sawing is not needed. Any tips (or better: videos) would be great

Q6) Colorado has a less humid climate - how important is having a water pan and keeping it full? Does the elevation affect what temperatures I should be seeking inside my cook chamber and internal to the meat (since the boiling point is so much lower here)?

Thanks!

-matto-

Photos

#1 Before
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Number1_Before.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	207255
    #1 After

Name:	Number1_After.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	207254
    #2 Before (not rubbed)

Name:	Number2_Before.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	207256
    #2 After
    ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	Number2_After.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	207253
    #3 Before

Name:	Number3_Before.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	207252
    #3 After
    ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	Number3_After.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	207251
    Attached Files
    Last edited by aldaeron; August 10, 2016, 04:41 PM. Reason: Added Photos

What kind of pellets are you using? They should light rather quickly. Quality pellets are a must.
    What grade of meat are you using?
    Should not have to worry about over smoking in a pellet grill so wrap is not mandatory.
    I like cooking at 250 -275 does not seem to dry it out as much IMO
    No water pan
    cook till probe tender, when probe goes in with less resistance not at specific temp but start checking at 180 or so for prime grade 190 or so for choice.

Comment

Traeger Gourmet Blend from Costco. I think the issue is there is not enough airflow once I added the gasket to the lid and clamped it in place. I am going to test removing the chimney cap and see if that solves it. I did a quick test during my last smoke, but didn't want to be fumbling around during a smoke and mess it up.

When you say probe tender - what size probe? The Maverick probes are around 1/4 inch in diameter, but the ThermaPen has a thinner tip (maybe only 1/8 in diameter). I find it is hard to pierce through the bark to get the probe in, making it hard to tell if it is "probe tender". Hence the theory that my bark may be too tough. I have some photos that I should have included in the original post that I will try to add.

Appreciate the quick reply!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Personally have not heard any good about Traeger pellets, I would get some BBQrs Delights or Cooking Pellets through amazon. Thermo pen probe, you can start on outer edges and feel softness first then move to the middle to feel difference.

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        You can wrap at 170 or so if bark is set and before getting hard. Not sure cap should be a problem since fan is forcing air in and out and bark is drying out from air movement.
        I use a Dexter 13463 scalloped knife from amazon and cuts nice for about $26.

The crust issue sounds a lot like the crust issue discussed by Kenji Lopez-Alt today in his piece on smoking chuck. http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/f...sous-vide.html I would bet the cook is cooler than it should be.
      I was warned the Trager pellets are a blend, but that was from a saleman selling other kinds of pellets. I have had nightmares with Louisiana Pellets - the ones with the big Louisiana logo on the bag - I have repeated pellet hopper fires. My next pellet purchase will be Griler's Delights. Let us know how the next cook goes - my brisket cooks have each been a learning experience, there are a lot of variables to try to take into account (most importantly variations in the raw meat).

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree to low of a temp 250 would be better.
        Last edited by Powersmoke_80; August 10, 2016, 05:17 PM.

• aldaeron
        aldaeron commented
        Editing a comment
        I have seen the Louisiana pellets at my local Ace Hardware (never tried them), but never had problems with Traeger pellets until I started plugging the many air leaks up. I have never had a pellet hopper fire.

A few thoughts for you .... Please bear in mind I do not cook on a pellet smoker. I cook on a Hasty-Bake grill and a Weber Smokey Mountain. However, some things are going to apply no matter what.

1. Temp .... I like my temp to be 225-250 for brisket, not 200-225. If you cook too slow, you dry it out too much.

2. The only BBQ I ever crutch is brisket. I find that brisket ends up seeming over-cooked if I don't crutch it. I'd highly recommend crutching once you have a well set bark ... Let's say in the 160-170 range. Two layers of foil and a 1/2 cup of beef broth should do the trick.

3. Crutching will leave the bark a bit soft, so firm it up at the end ... Open the foil and probe test .... If you are close to desired texture, then leave the foil open for 10 minutes or so and probe test again. Bark should be firm, meat should be tender. NOW wrap in new foil, no broth, and hold in your faux cambro for an hour.

My two cents worth, for what it's worth

Jerod Broussard ..... What do you think? Don't consider from a PBC perspective :-)

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I like to crutch once the bark is set and the stall starts. It's the only thing I crutch. Every time I've cooked brisket without the crutch, I've not liked the outcome

• aldaeron
        aldaeron commented
        Editing a comment
        What is your experience using foil vs. unwaxed butcher paper? From different posts I have read, the butcher paper allows a little moisture to escape to preserve bark while properly wrapped foil keeps all the moisture in but softens bark.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never used butcher paper, only foil

I agree with the crutch on briskets. Never had tight or tough brisket after crutching it. I think that would solve your problem. Sometimes overthinking the problem makes it worst. I think if it did flare for 10 mins while its crutched it wouldn't hurt it. You could also move it farther from the heat source and have think thickest part towards the heat

Comment

I'd be curious on the answer to #6 as well - what impact elevation has on things (if any).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here