Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First try at beef short ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First try at beef short ribs

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	205637 Click image for larger version

Views:	85
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	205638 Click image for larger version

Views:	121
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	205639 Click image for larger version

Views:	82
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	205640 Click image for larger version

Views:	92
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	205641 Almost 9 hours in on the short plate of ribs - on at 9am hopefully finished soon! Also have some bacon wrapped poppers to throw on - pics to follow! Thanks to all here for all the great ideas and tips 😀

Looking good .... Can't wait to hear how they turn out.

Comment

Just checked temp in thickest part - still only 182 but knocked a piece of meat off with tongs and it was tender and delicious - should I be patient and leave on til 203? Getting hungry 😁😁😁

Comment

Probe them with a temp probe or skewer. If it slides in with little resistance ("probe tender"), they're done regardless of the temp. Enjoy!

Comment

• PSULion
          PSULion commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks - may just take off now, wrap in foil, and throw in the cooler for a bit 😀 - you guys are great, thanks for helping a newbie! 👍😀👍

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          PSULion if you it's reasonably probe tender, that's exactly what you should do. If you wait for the thickest part to hit the prescribed temp, the other parts of the plate are likely to end up over cooked. Like a brisket, that short rib plate will benefit ... A lot ... From time in the faux cambro.

I agree with HorseDoctor .... Probe test is the way to go. Especially with a plate of ribs, which cooks very similar to brisket. It is done when it's done.

Comment

• PSULion
          PSULion commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!! See my reply to HorseDoctor 😀

Bacon wrapped poppers - jalapeños and a "salsa" pepper from the garden - stuffed w mix of cream cheese, shredded sharp cheddar, and some minced pickled peppers - wrapped in applewood smoked bacon and dusted with Memphis Dust - 😀😀😀 Will squirt on some BBQ sauce near end ...
        Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds awesome. Gonna have to do that ... Maybe for our Labor Day shindig.

• Kpaxfaq
          Kpaxfaq commented
          Editing a comment
          Love me some ABT's. That's an appetizer that is usually gone at a party before I get a chance to settle down, have a few beers, and decide to go eat one. Never get there.

Click image for larger version

Views:	88
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	205777 Turned out well - shared 1/2 ribs and poppers w neighbors - overall delicious 😀 Thanks to AR peeps! Click image for larger version

Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	205780 Click image for larger version

Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	205779 Click image for larger version

Views:	84
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	205778

Comment

Now there's a plate full of YUM!!! Great job!

Comment

• PSULion
            PSULion commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for your help! I think it could've used a bit more time but was still very tasty - I painted it with some of the fat fron drip pan 👍😀

Dang!
          Looks great!

Comment

• PSULion
            PSULion commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

Wow man, these look great. I need to get back to the beef rib days. They are so fun to cook, I love the progression of the meat and those bones start poking out and the bark develops, its magical thing.

Comment

• PSULion
            PSULion commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks - yes, very interesting to see before and after pics of the meat -- my first try so not sure what to expect, but the bark, rub, and smoke flavor was great - just maybe needed a bit more time on or in the cambro - we ate it and the neighbors loved it so must've done it mostly right! 😀😀😀

PSULion those look great .... are you feeling like the meat could have been more tender? The challenge, of course, is learning what temp and probe feel equal how you want them. That said, those look equal to beef ribs I've gotten from BBQ joints in Texas. :-D

Comment

• PSULion
            PSULion commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow - Thanks !! They really were delicious - just think maybe that thick piece could've been a bit more tender - appreciate your nice comments - I love this site, you guys and gals are so friendly and helpful!

Those look marvelous!

Comment

mississippiflash Welcome! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here