Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Brisket

I am 3 hours in and things are looking good. Bark is forming well. It's a 11.46lb prime brisket with Meatheads Big Bad Beef Rub and low sodium beef broth injection. Dry brined night before last and injected and added rub last night. I have been intimidated to try a brisket after reading about so many people having problems. Till now I have been doing pork butts every weekend 3 weeks running. Along with beef/pork ribs, lots of ribeye steaks, burgers and chicken. I guess I am finally feeling confident enough to do this.

I Just bought my first charcoal grill (Webber 22" master touch) just over a month ago after my boss turned me on to this website. What life changer this site has been for me. Picked up the SNS, thermapen, and Igrill 2. I have grilled or smoked 31 out the 34 days I have had this grill.

Can't believe how much fun it has been. This forum and the regulars that have a lot of experience and comment all the time are a huge help to new guys like me and I can't thank you guys enough. What a great bunch of people.

Any tips on burnt ends? Or any recipes anyone could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Great looking brisket jbeck1986 and welcome! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

• jbeck1986
      jbeck1986 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Fuzzydaddy. Just finished my post on the Introduce yourself channel.

You're definitely looking good! Let us know when to be there for dinner!

Comment

• jbeck1986
      jbeck1986 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I wish I knew what time to expect it to be done. This being my first brisket and it being so windy I'm not even sure what to expect. Guess I will have to give you a rain check till next time.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, you're a bit far for me and the wife to just head off for dinner anyhow .... But that brisket is looking good. Have fun with it jbeck1986

Looking very good

Comment

Looks great - haven't tried one yet myself - hope yours turns out perfectly!

Comment

I swear if I ever found a Prime packer in this town I would have a replica made and put it on the wall.

Comment

• jbeck1986
          jbeck1986 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha. $3.29 per lb at Costco for prime. I wonder how much it would be to ship one to you?

Edit : that one was totally meant for Jerod. Lol
          Last edited by jbeck1986; August 7, 2016, 05:20 PM.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Dry ice and ship overnight should work

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          I've yet to find a brisket labeled Prime that I didn't buy from Snake River Farms! #illKeepLooking

Hey I'm gonna wrap at 170 and I'm almost there. What should I use for liquid to pour in? I used low sodium beef broth to inject and Meatheads BBBR. I was thinking just using the same low sodium beef broth. There are so many different things people use when I check online. Any thoughts?

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I know this was yesterday .... If I crutch a brisket (which I normally don't) I use beef broth in the foil. Not too much.

Looks good, I've only done one brisket myself because the prices used to be insane but since they're back down around $2.99/lb I'm gonna give it another go.

I didn't wrap or inject and mine turned out on the dry side. Looking forward to your results.

Comment

Here is what she looked like when I wrapped it. Oh and my BBQ got a little crazy while I left it open getting ready for to crutch it. So I poured water on it and didn't realize I pretty much put it out. I lost almost 20 degrees on the brisket trying to rescue the charcoal. What a stressful endeavor that was. I think it will still be fine. What do you guys think?
          Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful bark!

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Once you've wrapped it, you could put it in the oven at 225 and be just fine. You're not dealing with smoke anymore, and heat is heat.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! Did you find that playing it music helped the meat rest? If yes, which type of music?

How'd things turn out? We want pics!

Comment

Not as good as expected. I have a 4 year old daughter that's sort of a wild child who took my attention off my grill for too long and temps spiked. Took forever to get back down and then almost whent out. I actually went back and forth a few times.

I should have three it in the oven so it stayed consistent. It got over done. The point was still incredible but the flat was not as good as it should have been. Even tho everyone loved it and I got lots of praise as it was great flavored I was still bummed out. I guess I'm my own worst critic and I always expect the best of my self.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              I find that I am my own worst critic on this stuff, too! I try to judge by everyone else's reaction.

The point end is always the best!!! I never separate them, so the point as well as the piece of flat under it, are always great. Flats are good but always a little drier. Some folk like "lean" so they can have that part. Good job on your cook.

Comment

I have been doing a lot of pork butts and I have those down. I have had all sorts of people tell me it's the best pulled pork they have ever had. I have had one person ask for samples so they could bring them to there uncle so that he could see how it's supposed to taste. Or how good it could taste I guess. Apparantly this guy has been making these for years and years now. It was quite flattering.

I thought it was pretty cold and harsh to do to someone. Guess it's family tho and he might get his uncle to check out this website and have it change how he approaches cooking like it did for me.
              Attached Files

Comment

Way to go! Keep cooking - your 5th Brisket will be Great!

And your 25th...

Comment

WAY TO GO , jbeck1986 ! Sounds and looks like you are turning out some outstanding Q!

your description of the pit is spot on! Welcome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here