Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wrap. If so, when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you wrap. If so, when?

When cooking baby back ribs, I usually wrap (pink butcher paper) after about 2.5 hours. I leave them wrapped about 1.5 hours for myself and 2 hours for the wife (who likes fall off the bone). Then finish unwrapped for 45-60 minutes. This seems to work well for our family.

However, for brisket and pork shoulder, I am not sure what the best approach is. I know that wrapping will help power through a stall. But I would like an approach where I have planned for the stall so powering through is not a deciding factor.

Do you wrap? Is yes, do you use paper or foil?

If not, what do you see as the major difference/advantage? More Bark? Is it less moist?

If you do wrap, what do you see as the major difference/advantage? When do you wrap. At beginning of the stall or at the end of stall?

For reference, I have just started using a Yoder YS640 pellet smoker. For brisket and pork shoulder, I cook at 225-250 and use a mix of hickory and mesquite pellets. Also use an Amaze-N-Tube with mesquite pellets (I am in San Antonio and have yet to find mesquite overpowering).

On baby back ribs. I usually do not but I have a few buddies that subscribe to the 2-2-1 method on baby backs. 2 hrs. unwrapped, 2 hrs wrapped, 1 hr unwrapped with sauce on.

Pork Butts - I am an advocate of wrapping. It totally depends on timing when I wrap. If I am in a time crunch I will wrap around 150 or a little higher internal temp and crank the heat up in the cooker if needed with little detriment to the finished product. If I am not in a time crunch I will wrap around 170 - 180.

I use foil when I wrap and I go fat cap down in the smoker both before wrapping and after. I try to hold it for a while too once it is done. Biggest reason I wrap is I want to catch some pork juice! I run the juice through a gravy/fat separator and pour a little juice back over the meat once it is pulled... then i sprinkle just a little left over rub in there and mix it up. I also think the braising process gives it a little something with tenderness.

If I am doing it on the pellet cooker I use a Pecan/Cherry or Hickory/Apple mix and I run that 225-250 range.
    Stick burner I will use whatever wood I have seasoned... Usually Hickory, Pecan, Oak, or Maple and through in some apple for something different. I run about 250-275 on it.
    PBC is charcoal with some Pecan and Apple chunks thrown in the bottom. It runs 300ish.

In any event the process is pretty well consistently the same with me no matter what cooker I am using. I have done butts all the way through without wrapping but I prefer wrapped. That process has helped me to a couple first place finishes in pulled pork at some unsanctioned backyard cook offs.

Comment

Pork ribs? Never.

Comment

I wrap brisket in pink paper after good bark. No wrap for beef or pork ribs, nor for chuck, pork butts or lamb shoulder.

Comment

I used to wrap ribs but not anymore. I do wrap pork butts and briskets after a good bark has form usually around 180 IT.

Comment

I NEVER wrap anything during the cook. I always plan for a double stall. I NEVER power through the stall. The ONLY time my meat touches tin foil is right before it goes in the cambro.

I have a Kamado. They are notorious for keeping your food moist and not drying them out. I like a thick heavy bark, bark is flavor.

I plan for a minimum of 2 hours in the cambro for large clods of meat, butts & briskets. I don't rest my ribs or wrap them after the cook.
            Last edited by Breadhead; July 18, 2016, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Breadhead every time I've been disappointed by ribs, I have had to hold them in a cambro.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Ribs ready on smoker -> serving area -> my mouth. No rest areas in between.

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I knew I liked you fuzzydaddy

• Tim E
                Tim E commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed Gents

I am pretty much in line with you jlazar. I am using a Camp Chef pellet and will go 2 -2.5 hrs then wrap for an hr or little more then unwrap till they past the bend test.

Comment

For a pork shoulder try the large Lodge Dutch Oven with a bit of sauce/liquid of your choice. Of course, temp of the cook will determine how long you decide to keep it in the oven. You can then take the lid off and chose to keep cooking in the pot or take it out and put it back on the rack. Depending on the size of the butt, it may take some cramming. I know the jokes are going to follow.

Comment

Man I need a ceramic. It seems like it can fix all

Btw I wrap nothing. Ever. Just cook and serve

Comment

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't it now

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
                  Man I need a ceramic. It seems like it can fix all

Btw I wrap nothing. Ever. Just cook and serve
                  NOBODY... Needs a Kamado! But... EVERYONE that has one, is glad they do.😎

Comment

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Was talking w/ SWMBO last night. She wanted to know what one was. Figured I'd make CeramicChef proud & go all out showing her the Big Bad Komodo Kamado. After I resuscitated her she said maybe one day. I felt like Lloyd talking to Mary on Dumb & Dumber. "So you're telling me there's a chance!"

• CeramicChef
                    CeramicChef commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A KK BB 32 really is the most versatile cooker I've ever owned. Some folks spend a lot more and get a lot less versatility. It's all in how you look at it. I do all the cooking and spent way more for a combo convection oven and cooktop than I ever did for my KK 32, TheBeast.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here