Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Ribs

A couple of picks of some beef ribs done on the PBC. They are becoming a favorite for flavor! Only took a couple of hours.

Those look really good. I did some a couple of weeks ago on the kettle. I have tried them on the PBC.

Comment

Another one who likes to make me suffer

Comment

Nice... Very nice!

Comment

Those look great. Next beef short ribs cook is going to be a rack/plate. No more of this dealing with the shorties that the grocery store sells

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Grocery shorties suck because you always get one with a quarter inch of meat on it.

Costco boneless are incredible. Without going full plate.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I think the full plate looks like fun. I have used the Costco boneless short ribs for braised beef ribs tons.

• Bob's BBQ
            Bob's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Just got my Costco membership. The meat dept is pretty impressive. A lot of choice and prime. These back ribs came from the grocery store. Not a ton of meat but boy are they tasty!

Love beef back ribs but IMO, they aren't as decadent as plate ribs or chuck ribs! I'm just a glutton for even more meat!

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
            Bob's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Have to do the plate ribs next. If they taste as good as these, I'll be a happy camper.

Just bought these on sale - just salted them to dry brine overnight, and will use some Big Bad Beef Rub tomorrow - gonna cook tomorrow on the smoker - any tips? Thank you!

Comment

• 805Steve
            805Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            Smoke at 285-ish with hickory and apple wood. Cooked till they were around 204 degrees, or probe tender, bam 204 and probe tender. I don't cook to a temp, temp is only a rough guide, a probe of tenderness has never let me down. Have a great cook PSUlion.

• PSULion
            PSULion commented
            Editing a comment
            Almost 5 1/2 hrs in - one part temp 201, rest is still 180's -190 but feels pretty tender w probe - which do I go with temp or feel? Thanks 😀

Thanks 805Steve - trying to figure out timing. Thinking about 5-6 hrs. Gonna throw a halved chicken on too. Pictures to follow

Comment

Originally posted by PSULion View Post
            Gonna throw a halved chicken on too. Pictures to follow
            Just an FYI - chicken will cook just fine at "normal" PBC rib temps (275 - 300 deg) but the skin will not crisp up (chicken skin does best at 325 - 375). You might consider searing the skin side of the chicken over high direct heat after pulling from the PBC ... or plan to serve skinless.

Comment

• PSULion
              PSULion commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! That's what I did last time with the chicken (threw it on gas grill for a few minutes - learned that here! Worked great 😀 Gonna put the chicken on later ...

Where do you guys usually find Beef plate ribs? I am having a hell of a time trying to pin those down. I always have to go to this specialty butcher down in Minneapolis, full of hipsters with trendy tattoos, wearing leather butcher aprons and black rimed glasses. Then they make me pay crazy prices for something that is 1/2 bone!! Is there an online source that I might be over looking?

Comment

• CeramicChef
              CeramicChef commented
              Editing a comment
              I understand! But sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Here is the GREAT Southwest, I've never had trouble sourcing beef ribs. And I've never bought any meat over the Internet. I prefer to see, touch, and smell if possible. I've made friends with my butcher and he takes care of me. Enjoy!

• Fine Swine
              Fine Swine commented
              Editing a comment
              You got a Restaurant Depot in your area? That's where I was able to find the them.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Good call man. I am sure there is one in the Twin Cities area. Thanks!! Fine Swine

I gave up looking for them over the counter and order them by the case. I try to restrain myself (a little bit) and a case will last me a little over 6 months. I get a decent price ordering a case at a time also. Ordering by the case is also a good way to get to know your meat purveyor. He's always wondering what I'm up to.

Comment

So here's the meal! Beef back ribs, green bean salad, and chicken ...

Comment

• troymeister
                troymeister commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice cook!! Looks great....Just curios what type of sauce?

Thanks troymeister - that was Bone Sucking Sauce - didn't really need it, though!

Comment

PSULion your cook looks great! I think your dog is ready for his now.

Comment

Thank you - this is such fun! Oh yes!! She almost pulled a half chicken out of the fridge while it was dry brining - had the door open for split second ... She got the giblets, at least 🍾

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here