Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking Those Shorties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Those Shorties

I'm using Meathead's method for beef short ribs. Here's where I'm at so far.

I dry marinaded them last night. Started up the WSM this morning about 10 AM using Soo's donut as my fire method .... although for these shorter cooks I may go to a minion or fuse method. Brought the WSM up to 245. Pulled the shorties, rubbed with BBBR. Have a drip pan under the short ribs, then added the short ribs. Temp bounced around a bit, but then stabilized at 226. They've been on since 11 AM, it's 1:45 now. I am thinking I will start checking around 3:00 PM probably.

Dogs are nosing around the WSM trying to find the smoky goodness going on. Heck, so am I.

I'll keep you guys updated as we go along.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7808.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	195483 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7810.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	195484 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7813.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	195485 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7811.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	195486

You just love to make me suffer...dang it's going to be long three weeks before I get home

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you cooked enough food over the 4th to last you those 3 weeks!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      DWCowles cooked a ridiculous amount of food over the 4th!

I'm doing some work for one of my customers, but it's just writing a report on a security assessment I just did. So, I'm sitting on the back deck about 10 feet from the WSM .... DWCowles let me tell you, that is serious torture
    Last edited by ecowper; July 15, 2016, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• lemayp
      lemayp commented
      Editing a comment
      The security assessment comment just made it click that I've been following you on twitter and reading your blog for a couple years now. Random I know...Nice cook, i've only done short ribs once so far but it's on my list to try again.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      no shit lemayp? small world dude .... what's your twitter handle?
      Last edited by ecowper; July 15, 2016, 06:57 PM.

Okay, I couldn't stand it .... So I took a peek ...... Looks like they are in the stall right now, but looking really good. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7812.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	195501

Comment

Looking GREAT! Only problem is the short ones don't have as good a handle as the full length versions. Enjoy!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        This is why I am not doing shorties again, darnit.

ecowper here's the first and last beef short ribs that I did with the stickburner about an year or so ago. I'm way past due...
      Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks ridiculously good!

OMG .... just pulled them, they are in the faux cambro right now. The whole house smells like smoked beef ribs. I'm dying waiting. The dogs are pacing around the cooler/cambro ....

Comment

Time to feast .... I love them. My family would find the BBBR a bit spicy. So, I will do this for the family using a dalmatian rub. The flavor, consistency, etc is amazing. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7815.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	195574
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ecowper; July 15, 2016, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          That's just pure unctuous goodness! Congrats and kudos!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I was sorta happy with the cook myself!

• Pale2Row
          Pale2Row commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look amazing!

Awesome looking ribs! Now youjust need to curl your pinky finger a bit whilst grasping those little bitty bones... LOL! Congrats on a great cook!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude, I was just thinking that! Those bones are definitely dainty

The dogs got all the left over connective tissue .... They devoured it in about 10 seconds flat. And each one got a bone ... bones are nearly gone now.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7817.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	195591
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ecowper; July 15, 2016, 07:10 PM.

Comment

That's a great looking cook.

Comment

Nice! ecowper

Comment

Those look so good. I've got to have some of those, but I'm guessing they are all gone by now. Lol. Congrats on your cook!

Comment

fuzzydaddy you missed out ... should have been here a couple hours ago brother! They did turn out good. This is why I am so willing to pay for the Pit ... I have never, ever, not once had a Meathead recipe, reinforced by the Pit, go wrong. Never.

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS, ecowper !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here