Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eye of Round Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye of Round Roast

I would like to get some info on what to do with this cut of beef. My local store has it on sale this week, and I have never cooked with it. Any suggestions?

I pot roast all of mine. Did one this weekend. Browned really well in the skillet, pop in the oven covered with various vegetables.

Comment

I cook all round roasts the same. Low and slow and then sear. http://www.rhinowrestling.org/index....ut-round-roast

Comment

I'd be tempted to break out the pressure cooker and do a variation of what Jerod Broussard suggested.

Comment

If I were so inclined, I would grind it for burger, adding a lot of beef fat. Eye of Round tends to be very lean. If roasting, I would cut thin, against the grain, which is easy, as you get nice round slices. But not something I buy very often. It does not really sous vide into anything that great.

Comment

I've used various round roast cuts for Baltimore Pit Beef. I usually use the top round for it, but I don't see why you couldn't use the eye of round.

If you've dreaded stuff that passes for roast beef and wished you could find the real deal then this Baltimore pit beef recipe is for you.

Comment

• Fine Swine
              Fine Swine commented
              Editing a comment
              Eye rounds work great for Balt. pit beef. I do those a lot.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I've seen this recipe for Baltimore pit beef sandwiches but haven't tried it yet. I think the eye round should work very well. BTW I am dying to try this. It looks sooooo good.

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve B you should absolutely do this .... best roast beef sandwiches ever

Jerky...that is all I use for jerky.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Have to say that is what I've used for jerky as well. Really good.

I would make beef jerky out of it

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Right on brother! You're preachin' to the choir!

I made the last one into chicken fried steak. There are supposed to be better cuts for that but I got good reviews from my critics/family

Comment

If you sous vide, bag with a little butter, salt, and pepper. SV at 130F for about 24 hours, then sear on grill or cast iron skillet. Make up some gravy and slice for open faced sandwich, or whatever you would do with much more expensive roast beef cuts. It's very tender, and about medium rare. Leftovers make GREAT roast beef sandwiches. (I cut the whole eye of round in half to make the SV more manageable).

Comment

Before my training as a meat cutter, when I worked in a supermarket during high school, I walked by the meat counter and noticed some eye round steaks packaged 4 to the tray and labled "breakfast steaks". They were, to my untrained eye, beautiful - as they were solid meat without a speck of fat anywhere. I bought a package to treat the family. My mother, thankfully knew the score and did her best to split the 1/2" thick steaks into 1/4".
                She then heated a skillet to almost red hot, sprinkled a good bunch of salt in the pan and quickly seared them on each side. Maybe 10 seconds each. They were edible, but I never bought any more.

Comment

A friend of mine does them as "roast beast". Coat with salt, pepper, and garlic, 500* for half an hour then turn it off and let it sit in the oven for a couple hours. Remove and slice very thin across the grain for roast beast sandwiches.

Comment

My favorite prep for this affordable and very edible-but-not-premium roast is treating it as a prime rib or tri tip. Generous dry brine, reverse sear up to 130-135 with only a little wood, oak perhaps. I like a light dusting of BBBR. Board sauce a must! Yum!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here