Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steamship Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steamship Round

While perusing the website of one of the sausage purveyors in town I came across a beef item I don't think I have ever heard of...Steamship Round. After a little Googling come to find out this is one large hunk o' cow. From the description I came across it is the 30-50 lbs hunk o' cow you see on buffet lines that are being hand carved. Now I am thinking about hot smoking (300-325) one of these bad boys for an upcoming holiday just to change things up a bit. Has anyone had any experience with this cut?

Thank you and have a great day!

Never tackled that. Only thing I have that most have never heard of is the Pikes Peak Roast. Got one in the freezer off a home raised calf.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      We can see Pikes Peak from here ... but I've never seen (or heard of) a roast of the same name.

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      MBMorgan - I'm not meaning to hijack this thread, but there are two KKs at the Broadmoor used in Raichlen's BBQ University that you can get a heckuva deal on if you're interested.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the heads up, Ken ( CeramicChef ) but I've got a real estate problem ... as in the DW would get the house if I tried to add another expensive toy to the arsenal.

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
    Never tackled that. Only thing I have that most have never heard of is the Pikes Peak Roast. Got one in the freezer off a home raised calf.
    Please, do tell.

Comment

You should do one of these bad boys and tell us how it comes out. I'd probably think about doing it Baltimore pit beef style.

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
        You should do one of these bad boys and tell us how it comes out. I'd probably think about doing it Baltimore pit beef style.
        You just read my mind!

Comment

I think the calves had over 700 pounds of carcass weight.

The Pikes Peak is the lowest roast on the hind legs. I guess you could say the lowest part of the round.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            The last one wasn't this bulky, but hanging in the Pit Barrel for some time, then panning with bell peppers and onions until probe tender worked nicely. Think I used the ever-versatile BBBR.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Someone needs to defrost their freezer.

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            And then defrost again 7 days later.

Craigar That would make for a heck of a holiday party right there. With a heat lamp, you could have a carving station set up. Make some horsey sauce and it would be heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
            Craigar That would make for a heck of a holiday party right there. With a heat lamp, you could have a carving station set up. Make some horsey sauce and it would be heaven.
            ecowper you are preachin' to the choir! My wife makes a pretty darn good tiger sauce and I think this would be the cat's meow for the holidays. For about the same price as a rib roast, I can send home leftovers with the kids plus have some for the two of us. On top of that, a couple of the kids find it difficult to tell time. They are notoriously late by 45 minutes to 2 hours. With this thing I can keep it in the faux cambro for a couple of hours, no harm no foul (and no fowl).

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Board sauce...good thinking! I might even whip up a tzatziki sauce as well.

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Tzatziki .... Now you're talking!

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              I love thinking when others are doing the work.

I've cooked a 92 lb. steamship round once. Was for Christmas party here at work (mostly men). Cooker was an FEC100 in the warehouse with a stack out the wall to vent. Unfortunately, the stack wasn't high enough and wind blew down the stack and forced the fire up the pellet ramp into the hopper. Plus, there was a pan underneath to catch drippings for gravy. The pellets in the hopper smoldered enough to fill the warehouse full of smoke. It was a bit scary when I arrived at 6 am! Exhaust fans took care of it. There were two cookers set up right there together, so we moved the beef to the other cooker while cleaning out the smolder. Beef was great! Gravy was too. One of my best cooks for a big feed.

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a great story!

Should prove interesting!

I'm sure everyone has the same experience with steamship round that I've had: sometimes it is really excellent, and sometimes it isn't worth the wait in line. I would love to have the chance to influence that outcome, but idk what I'd do with the leftover 49 lbs of beef!

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Jerky. Although, it would probably end up being about 10 years worth.

So I ran this idea by SWMBO last night over a couple of cocktails in the backyard and she just looked at me and shook her head like I had done lost my mind. Ha! Nothing new for this cat. In any event, I have a couple of months to get her on board, so to speak. However, she did mention I might need another cooker or two. So I have that going for me.

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              I know! I knew she was on board with one, but then she tossed me a curve ball by saying two. But before I get all lathered up the first purchase will be a new fridge.

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              I've got a one year old Maytag fridge that I really don't like. I think I'd look at Samsung based on my experience with this.

I also have an older frigidaire out in the garage. That puppy is pretty full with meat I'm gonna cook and beer. I may want a second garage fridge.

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Guest that is what we have been gazing longingly at, Samsung, along with LG.

(Craig) - That is one seriously large clod of meat at 30-50 lbs! Are you planning on feeding the 101st Airborne Division?

Since your Bride did mention that you might need another cooker or two, now would be a good time to consider a kamado for this cook. I've cooked huge clods on my kamados and they always come out juicy and done to perfection.

Your Bride did give you tacit approval for a new cooker, or two! Do it!!!

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              If a Kamado just shows up ....

• CeramicChef
              CeramicChef commented
              Editing a comment
              So you're waiting for Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy?

I remember you saying you were considering a kamado. I nice Kamado Joe Big Joe or a nice KK 23" Ultimate would certainly get 'er done!

Come over to the Dark Side! Resistance is futile! (With apologies to @5698k)

Originally posted by CeramicChef View Post
            (Craig) - That is one seriously large clod of meat at 30-50 lbs! Are you planning on feeding the 101st Airborne Division?

Since your Bride did mention that you might need another cooker or two, now would be a good time to consider a kamado for this cook. I've cooked huge clods on my kamados and they always come out juicy and done to perfection.

Your Bride did give you tacit approval for a new cooker, or two! Do it!!!
            Ha! You crack me up. I will be going to the butcher shop this afternoon to take a look-see and to get a quote. I have a feeling I will be settling for a whole sirloin when the time comes.

As soon as the new fridge rolls through the front door I will be running out the back door to the closest BBQ toy store for a minimum of a 22.5" WSM. The way the schedule is looking, the Costco Kamado Joe Roadshow isn't coming here. Maybe next year.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Craigar Based on having a 22.5 WSM a whole 2 weeks now, I can say that you would not be at all disappointed that you got one.

• CeramicChef
              CeramicChef commented
              Editing a comment
              KK has financing and it's quite reasonable. ! Don't let price deter you.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              A KK will be my move to a warm climate for retirement cooker. Unless they up the Kamado game or find something more complicated to master.

Average weight 45lbs, $6-$7/lbs, must give at least a one month notice. Wifey says no, especially after I spent $93 on sausage. I guess we will have to settle for either prime rib or a whole sirloin for Christmas this year.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here