Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter road dino beef ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porter road dino beef ribs.

just got dino ribs from porter road and i was just wondering if anyone out there has just cut off one rib and smoked it and how you did it?

I have not, but there should not be any problem with doing that. If fact you get more bark when you do it that way. Just make sure to trim most of that surface fat.

Comment

• Planner47
      Planner47 commented
      Editing a comment
      will do

I would agree, more bark is better. Occasionally I see them cut into individual ribs so someone else has had that idea.

Comment

Yes, I call them short ribs.

Comment

FYI, when inquiring about Recipes please place in the appropriate Discussion Forum. The Recipe section is for actual written or linked Recipes, thanks.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...recipe-writing

Comment

Yes. In fact I recall an episode of BBQ Pitmasters where one of the guys did that. He had the best beef rib entry I believe. Cook just like the whole rack but with rub all sides. Cooked a bit faster than a whole rack. Looked terrific.

Comment

• Planner47
            Planner47 commented
            Editing a comment
            the cooking faster is what i was concerned about. my wife said that she also saw this done elsewhere. that maybe where she saw it.

Harry Soo did a video on rack vs single bone beef ribs. From what I remember (both looked amazing) single bone was still great with a stronger smoke ring/more bark but the rack produced a more juicy rib. If you try out the single rib let us know how it turns out! (I've been eying single beef ribs at my butcher)

Comment

• Planner47
            Planner47 commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks for the tip. will look to find Harry's vid.

I cut all my beef ribs into individual ones. While I never cook just one because it seems a waste of fuel to me, the results should be the same. They cook faster, have more bark, and are easier to serve since the cutting of serving portions has already been done.

Comment

• Planner47
            Planner47 commented
            Editing a comment
            Donw how many hrs did it take for you?

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe 6-7 hours at 275 to butter tender. This was with outside temperatures around 32F and cooking temps in the 250-275 range.
            Last edited by Donw; March 13, 2022, 10:51 AM.

Pretty sure that was how God invented Eve...

Comment

When I do the dino ribs, I always separte them so that I can have as much bark as possible. They do cook a bit faster this way also.

Comment

I think the recipe here on the site says to cut into single or doubles. Check it out

Comment

Well guy's i just went for it and cut off the biggest one and used Meatheads rub after a 4-hour dry brine of salt and did a 275 degree cook for 2 hours and then the rest of the cook at 225 until it was 208 degrees. the whole cook was 6 hours. this was the best bark rib that I ever ate. like a dummy i was so wrapped up on the how to cook the thing i forgot to take any pictures. by the way these porter road beef ribs were great and their breakfast sausage is out off this world. i got spareribs from them too and will probably do them next week.
                Last edited by Planner47; March 14, 2022, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here