Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Smoke Ring??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Smoke Ring??

My last 2 Brisket smokes did not produce any smoke ring. I am using a Meadowcreek BX50 cabinet smoker, Kingsford Charcoal, and hickory Chunks. I have done several other Briskets, that have all had nice smoke rings. Curious why the last 2 did not have one. They still tasted great, just not as nice appearance when sliced. Am I doing something wrong?

Check out this article from the free side:

Smoked meats often have a pink layer below the surface called the smoke ring. But you don't need smoke to create it! It is created by myoglobin, a protein in meat, reacting with combustion gases. Read on to learn how removing the fat cap from meat, keeping the meat moist, and cooking low and slow create the smoke ring.

Comment

1. How cold are the briskets when placed in the smoker?
      2. How close are they to the exhaust?

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        I would add do you have water pan? Moisture attracts smoke.

Wow. I found this interesting in the article that Murdy linked to:

This data is quite startling. Plain charcoal briquets, roaring hot, produce about the same amount of NO as plain wood and significantly more than lump charcoal. Lump charcoal is almost pure carbon, and thus deficient in nitrogen compared to briquets which contain partially carbonized sawdust and actual coal dust, along with other additives. In addition, lump produces less NO because the irregular shapes interlock and block airflow, while briquets, with their grooved and rounded tops and bottoms allow more oxygen in so they actually burn hotter, contrary to popular opinion, and produces more NO.
      This implies that briquettes would yield a better smoke ring than lump, and might be a reason while I saw more smoke ring with my kettle + SNS than I see on my SNS Kamado in its highly efficient kamado cooking mode with the diffuser in place.

Comment

scotto7 what changed between previous cooks and these last two? Same equipment, same general fire making, same type of meat. So, something is different. Read the write up on smoke rings that Murdy linked. As you read it, consider what you may have changed that is related to how the smoke ring is created. That will be your answer.

Comment

Throw some celery seed in your rub.

Comment

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            This! I can't remember where I first saw that tip, else I'd attribute it, but dang! it works. The house beef rub recipe I've been tweaking for months features about 20% celery seed, and has yielded some killer smoke rings.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            It in my brisket rub as well.

• efincoop
            efincoop commented
            Editing a comment
            Harry Soo is a proponent of adding celery seed for an enhanced smoke ring.

Welcome to The Pit.

I agree with ecowper .

Comment

the briskets are right out of the fridge, so 34-36 degrees, and I place it on the top rack in my cabinet smoker, so maybe 6" from the exhaust chimney.
            The first one I did not use any water in the water tray, experimented with a dry smoke to get a harder bark, so I felt that might have been the reason, so I used humidity in the second one, with the same result? Other than that, I tried Meat Church rub, instead of my normal home made concoction.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              You insert them before or after getting the smoker to temp?

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Interestingly I used to own COS units and before that Weber BBQs. Always had nice smoke rings. I bought a cabinet and they are hit and miss - more often miss. I use the same fuel I did in the COS units. Same rubs. Same temp in unit. Taste is identical.

before

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              I'd say you have good airflow that creeps the gases up the sides of the smoker, along the
              ceiling, and out the exhaust. I'd spritz with cold water next time you place the brisket in the smoker, just once, right when you put it in.

News flash…who cares about smoke rings? Have you ever tasted a smoke ring? Same as no smoke ring. Why are folks so hung up on something that does not matter to the end result?

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Its like sex with the lights on, somehow its better.

• DavidNorcross
              DavidNorcross commented
              Editing a comment
              texastweeter that depends......

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL !!

Put the brisket in extremely cold - with your set up that by itself should produce a smoke ring. Also, smoke ring doesn't affect the taste/aroma one iota. At competitions judges are instructed to ignore the smoke ring when evaluating the meat.

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              So Harry Soo says So, have you fact checked him? 😁

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              smokenoob Harry Soo is his own fact check

• tstalafuse
              tstalafuse commented
              Editing a comment
              It is because people eat with their eyes as much as they do with their mouth. If it looks like a turd it won't matter how good it tastes...

Speaking of Harry Soo, he can produce the best smoke ring on a brisket using nothing more than 50/50 blend of Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, course ground pepper, and small amount of ground celery seed and a few small chunks of Hickory and Apple wood under some Jealous Devil Lump Charcoal
            Last edited by Smoked Transistors; January 13, 2022, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m wonderin’ bout the smoke ring on meat in the pit of a guy known as Smoked Transistors
              silicon, gallium, phosphorus? I don’t see those at the spice section at Publix!

I have nothing else to bring to this party. Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here