Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet Another Prime Rib Post: What To Do With 4 Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    replied
    I sacrificed one rib to the gravy pot, but saved and froze a slab of beef ribs 6 bones long. Meathead says to treat them just like baby back ribs, and links to his Last Meal Recipe when discussing what to do with the ribs on the recipe page for Prime Rib:

"There's plenty of meat between the bones and these beef baby backs can be cooked just like pork baby backs for a real treat."

My comment based on the amount of juice from the 7 bone roast that I cooked without the bones - if you can catch all those juices, gravy can in fact probably be bypassed. Or just make the gravy using the meaty trimmings only, plus some pre-made beef broth. Basically, amp up some Swanson or other such broth by boiling for 3 hours with the trimmings and veggies in the gravy recipe.

We mostly used the gravy I made for the mashed potatoes. Everyone loved the creamy horseradish dip, other than my wife, who hates horseradish. I used the recipe from this page for the dip:

This smoked prime rib recipe from Mike at Everyday BBQ may just be the easiest recipe ever using our deluxe kettle grill with the Drip 'N Griddle Pan.

I've got the rib eye cap saved in the freezer and plan to cook it just like a flank steak for some future cook. Same with the slab of ribs.
    Last edited by jfmorris; December 22, 2021, 03:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    started a topic Yet Another Prime Rib Post: What To Do With 4 Ribs?

Yet Another Prime Rib Post: What To Do With 4 Ribs?

I have this fairly small six-pound prime rib roast waiting for Christmas day. The plan is to follow Meathead's plan and separate into prime ribeye, rib cap, and ribs. Given how small the roast is, I was going to cook all three parts on the same day, and potentially even throw an extra steak on the grill if needed if it looks pretty slim after trimming. We have three adults this year, and one kid who may snack on some of it.

I have a pretty good idea of how to cook the prime rib and rib cap, as the recipe is straightforward for cooking the prime rib, and I will treat the rib cap like a steak. I will either sous vide both cuts at 129 then sear for finish, or smoke them until they reach temp and sear.

However, I'm used to cooking full slabs of baby back ribs, not a short collection of 4 beef ribs. I'd prefer to serve them as ribs versus make gravy. But I could be overestimating how much meat will be left after all the of the trimming, so maybe it won't be worth the effort.

Assuming I cook them as ribs, should I aim for something like 2-2-1? That seems like overkill for a half rack essentially. Thoughts?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here