Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet Another Prime Rib Post: What To Do With 4 Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, if they really take 4-5 hours like baby back ribs, then you will want to start the ribs a couple hours earlier than the prime rib, and then do the steak as things finish up.

Maybe someone else who has cooked beef back ribs can comment though on how long they really take.

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Hmmm. No Presidential cut on my labels!

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I am going to put the ribs on first then the roast and rib cap later based on best estimates of cook times. I haven’t decided if everything is being SVed or all on the smoker yet.

• wrgilb
    commented on 's reply
    At those temps, you'll need to go longer on the ribs.

• wrgilb
    commented on 's reply
    Look at the largest end, if the spinals and the eye looks large, it is from the chuck end. If you look at the small end and it has basically no spinals and looks like a New York steak, then that is the end towards the short loin. A lot of times stores cut the 4 bone from the chuck end and then the 3 bone is what is left going towards the short loin.

• mgaretz
    commented on 's reply
    I season (spice) it after tying the ribs on so there's no spice between the rubs and the roast. Indeed, it often comes directly from the market this way (ribs cut and tied back on - they call it the Presidential cut).

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Similar to what I do except for the high temp at 325. Since I might have all three cuts on at the same time , I am probably going towards 250-275.

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    wrgilb how can I tell from the package where my ribs are from in terms of cut?
    Last edited by STEbbq; December 22, 2021, 05:42 PM.

• wrgilb
    commented on 's reply
    The primal rib section only contains 7 bones. It's cut between the 5th & 6th rib and then between the 12th & 13th rib. So the rib primal is ribs, 6,7,8,9,10,11,&12. If your not getting a whole 7 bone section, always look for a 3 or 4 bone section that starts at rib 6, as these are from the chuck end and have the largest spinalis and eye.

• wrgilb
    replied
    Here's APL's (Adam Perry Lang) method for beef back ribs. @325

1-1/4 hours on the grill naked, then wrap in foil with some diced onions, honey and a little water. Back on the grill for 1-1/4 hours, pull off the grill and rest in the foil for 15 minutes, unwrap and back on the grill for another 15 minutes to tighten up. Total time 3 hours. These are really good.
    Last edited by wrgilb; December 22, 2021, 05:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    I considered that but I think MH’s comment about spices not cooking fully on the ribs makes sense to me. At least enough to not do it this way this time.

• STEbbq
    replied
    Thanks jfmorris . I did see MH’s comments on the ribs but wasn’t sure how much they would apply to a 4-rib set versus a 8 or 9 rib rack. I will proceed as they are a regular set of normal ribs and cook accordingly.

I guess we will also see on the rib cap and eye if separating is worth it given the size Mosca . I think I’ll break it all down anyway this time. And see if I learn anything for the larger 8 pounder.

Troutman . Not bad pics for sure, but I am really hoping to get good ribs here!

Last edited by STEbbq; December 22, 2021, 04:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mgaretz
    replied
    I cut the ribs off and then tie them back on and cook the whole thing low and slow (225F) with a probe until it reaches your target temp. Then untie the ribs and set aside. For another meal I reheat the ribs under the broiler to crisp them up.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    I don’t separate the eye from the cap, but that’s mostly because I think the eye is inferior and needs the cap to balance it out.

As far as the ribs… after everyone leaves, and I’m alone in my kitchen, I gnaw those suckers like I’m a caveman. Because the cap isn’t the best meat on the cow. That rib meat is the best meat on the cow.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Either you do what Jim just said OR you carve those babies into giant tomahawk steaks !!! Oh yea BABY

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here