Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best beef cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I find in the freezer. I buy beef a 1/4 or 1/2 at a time. I voted for ribeye, but the filet is something really special. Just don't get as many of them as I do Ribeyes, T-bones and Porterhouses. I eat way more steak since I started buying it a side at a time. Ribeye costs the same as hamburger. I get sticker shock big-time when I have to buy meat a piece at a time.

Comment

I answered strip cuz that's tonight's dinner.

Comment

I picked Other and my answer is .... why do I have to choose????

Comment

Ribeye or Skirt Steak are my faves.

Comment

#2 Flank steak, (#1 beef plate dino ribs) #3 chuck roast.
            Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 28, 2021, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Since these choices seem to be specific to steak, I'll be the first to vote for filet - for the sole reason that it is the best steak to prepare "Pittsburgh rare", and that's my favorite way to eat steak.

Comment

Top sirloin, picanha when available. Bone-in steaks are not my cup of tea. I always feel like I am doing the butcher a favor when I buy a t-bone or porterhouse.

Comment

I honestly haven't had enough of some of the newer or less common cuts to comment intelligently on things like bavette or hanger. For me, I like the Strip. (And Sirloin is way underrated). This is limited to steaks. If you're talking anything, it's hard to compare a brisket to a strip or beef ribs to a ribeye.

Comment

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great point, a lot of the cuts mentioned on here aren't available in my area that I know off.
                    Maybe by another name I don't know about but most likely turned into ground beef.

Click image for larger version  Name:	962E2346-E9DC-4B6E-9B72-95B207ED6E16.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	1101919 Click image for larger version  Name:	ADADC453-88F8-4D55-ABC7-4884B7C7BB80.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	1101918 Click image for larger version  Name:	F4183F54-E148-4F59-AABB-7C515A85282E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.94 MB ID:	1101920 I love beef. Any beef. A boneless ribeye has usually been my go to. But recently I have gotten a fee flat iron steaks from both Porter Road and Wild Fork. Way less expensive than a prime ribeye and man they grill up really nice. Very tender and juicy and very beefy flavor. This just might be my favorite cut now. Here’s my most recent.
                  Last edited by Jfrosty27; September 28, 2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

How about Beef liver? Not the best tasting cut, but certainly the most nutrient dense part. Pan fried with some onions and ghee it is good stuff

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                      Jfrosty27 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Me and the wifey love beef liver. We add some bacon to the onions. The trick is to not over cook it. We like it medium. Yummy.

• Bogy
                      Bogy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I love liver and onions. My wife can't stand it. Used to occasionally have it with mom, but she's gone now. My son came and had it with us one day. He'd of course never had it growing up. He loved it as well. My only chance for liver now is when she goes to conferences. That hasn't happened lately.

Going by my username I think you can guess my favorite.

Comment

For me its what ever beef is on my plate at any meal though with beef prices lately seeing less and less beef on our plates.

Comment

Check out Teres Major, an inexpensive steak cut that's served by an exceptional chef I know in a top restaurant. It's lean and tender and tastes much like a strip steak, when sliced like a flank steak, at a third the cost. Sometimes available from SRF.

Comment

Not sure, but I did enjoy a flank steak last night. Will be doing many more fin the future.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here