Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket 225F or 250F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shoot for ranges. I love a long slow cook between 225 and two 250 with the dialed in range at 235 - 245 with water bowl for both bark and moisture. Cold meat and low starting heat for smoke ring. Just a thought, not a sermon.

Comment

To reinforce what Uncle Bob said ….. there are a bunch of things that go into cooking a good brisket. Pit temperature is just one of many elements that are important. In some ways, it is probably the least important. Consistency of method is probably the most important.

Comment

Please do not take this as a smart remark. But just cook it. You may fall into 225, 250, 300 or above. Where ever it settles in and you are able to maintain is the place you need to be. As others have said temp is a small portion of this. My sincere advice is dont over think it. My best briskets were the ones where I thought they were going to be the worst.

Comment

Davidnorcross
          Agree and keep the smoke clean.

Comment

225 or 250, I don't think it matters much. I think what temp the meat starts at makes a bigger difference. If I see someone start out saying, let the brisket or butt or whatever come to room temp, I stop reading. I start my meat at about 30 F. That effects my time more then the temp of the cooker. The meat stays in the zone where it's picking up smoke a lot longer. Cold, moist meat likes smoke. Meat at 160 stops taking on smoke. So, do you want to start your meat and 70, and have it take on smoke from 70 to 160, or 90 degrees, or from 30 to 160, or 130 degrees worth of cooking time. You can open the cooker and spritz, and that will cool the meat down and make it take longer, but I like my way better.

Comment

My 2 cents and what has worked for me is starting low @225 for the first 2-3 hours then slowly raise my cooking temp up to 275-300 for the remainder of the cook. I do spritz 2-3 times during the low phase of the cook....i've experimented with this and for me I see a difference in the bark...not so much added flavor but a nice crispy exterior...I'm sure it's just me but why change it if it's working right??
              So as you can see there's a million ways to skin this cat...keep experimenting and find what works for you and only make small changes each time until you find that "perfect" way you like brisket.
              Good luck and happy grilling!!

Comment

275 degrees is the optimal temp to cook in my opinion. I cant taste a bit of difference cooking lower and it shaves A LOT of time off the cook.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll second that. 275 is where I shoot for these days as well.

As others have said, I've cooked a lot of BBQ in the range of 225 to 275, and not seen appreciable difference going hotter. Something I've not seen anyone mention though is that MauleGuy is using a pellet cooker. On many of those, my understanding is that smoke generation is usually best down around 225 or even lower. If you run the entire cook at 250 or 275, I am thinking the flavor profile may be a little less smokey than at 225.

I see lots of folks suggest running the first couple of hours on a pellet cooker at 225, or wherever your best smoke setting is, before cranking the temperature up.

The other comment is this - once you wrap the meat, you are no longer getting smoke, and it doesn't really matter if its in the oven or in the smoker at that point. There are several times I cranked the temp to 300F once I wrapped my brisket, to speed up the end of the cook. I don't wrap until the meat reaches about 170F though.

Comment

• Bogy
                  Bogy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  glitchy, that comment was so last page ago! You can't expect old people to remember that far back. I'm lucky if I remember what I put on this morning, without looking to make sure I did actually put pants on.

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bogy you just worry about your flock and if you’re wearing pants or not. I’m just giving my buddy Jim some grief because I know he’s bored with tons of free time to fully read every post in every thread. Plus, it’s always fun to connect comment jokes across multiple threads.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  glitchy you got me! I was on comment overload by the time I typed a reply, and somehow missed yours, and was surprised I hadn't seen it mentioned.

Nothing has been said about the faux cambro hold. I don't use a cooler with hot towels, I wrap in butcher paper and put the brisket in a table top roaster set on warm, with a small towel on top. I leave it there for a couple hours and get a juices explosion when first cut.. I paid $50 for this one, and it also runs on the invertor in my expedition - that's come in real handy heading out fishing or tailgating.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Groundbreaking Hybrid Thermometer!

Thermapen One Instant Read Thermometer

The FireBoard Spark is a hybrid combining instant-read capability, a cabled temperature probe, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. We gave Spark a Platinum Medal for pushing the envelope of product capability while maintaining high standards of design and workmanship.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The InfraredZone

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

Fireboard Labs Product Photo Shoot. Kansas City Commercial Portrait and Wedding Photographers ©Kevin Ashley Photography

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.
                Click here to read our detailedreview

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review