Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which chuck would you cook if you could cook a chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which chuck would you cook if you could cook a chuck?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2chucks.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	1047264

I cooked them both, is that cheating?

Anyway, I am wondering which of these two you would pick to cook as a roast and why? Trying to get better at picking meats.

My pre-cook thoughts were that I like the marbling on the right but it's got that very pronounced sinew which I fear will be tough. No pronounced sinew on the left, maybe some fat that I should have trimmed but minimal marbling. I thought the one on the left would be the most tender and juicy coming off the grill. This photo is post 18-bour dry brine.

I'll post my observations on the cook a little later after I read some tips and observations about the two cuts

Left one

Comment

I usually cook in pairs but agree with above, the left....

Comment

I'd braise th LH one as a Roast, due to less interstitial marbelin, smoke th RH one to as close to perfecktion as my limited abilities will allow....

As a side note, th twain of em, ground together, would, most likely, make fer some dang dang good burgesas...

Wha??? Trim??? Trim Wha??? Fat???

Gasp!

Phewwwwwww...............

>Breathe In,...............Breathe out, .....Think bout how wonderful puppies smell, warm Summer rain, an even how a Dolphin's kisses feels..........<
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 19, 2021, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          So, Summer Rain don't indicate impendin Insanity, jus th other two??? LOL Troutman
          Whew!!! Imagine my relief, Brother!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          JimLinebarger When they's young enough, puppies smell th same same, either end, ie.; they smell like newborn puppies... so, reckon I was usin that as a 'Median Average'...

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Also, Troutman NEVER underestimate how incredibly Life Changin a Dolphin's kisses can be...there is, in my global travels, no other such an experience, or even comparable ...

Right one if I'm smoking it. I like the marbling flecked throughout.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Zig-Zag, 1.5

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones, I eat the gummy bears rare.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Richard Chrz They Ain't No Place, Like Gummy Bears, Brother!

I agree the one on the right. But I would sure have fun cooking both!

Comment

Well if you could chuck wood with smoke. Than you could probably smoke chuck with wood. Right.
          Or is that if a wood chuck could chuck wood.
          Somebody please help me. 😳😂😂

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I suppose it depends upon how many Chuck’s a woodchuck could chuck.

One of these days I'ma gonna smoke either a whole clod or roll. Since I cook for only 3 might wait until fall to freeze the rest for winter.

Comment

Definitely the right one due to the marbling.

Comment

How much chuck would a beef chuck cook if a beef chuck could cook chuck?

Comment

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                Is an argument between to vegans still called a beef?

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Perhaps, a Rutabaga...

Smoke both of them then cut into cubes, and make "Chuck Burnt Ends", or "Poor Man's" burnt ends. Enjoy them with PBR.
              Now if I were to roast one it would be the one on the right due to the marbling.
              Better yet, roast both and compare. Learn by trial and error.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Or test by "fire"
                Not funny.

After 60 hours in a 138* SV bath, it won't matter. They will both be fork tender, and delicious.

Comment

Yes to both. Lol. Not helpful, I know, I just love cooking chuckies. Pot roast, ground for burger, grilled, smoked..... don’t matter much to me. Just get it to safe eating temp somehow and I will devour! Looking forward to your observations from the cooks!

Comment

Right… I think.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You write right, you wrote the right write, a rite of writing makes for a wordwright.

There is alot of chucking going on around here...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
                Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
                Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
                Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review