Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which chuck would you cook if you could cook a chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which chuck would you cook if you could cook a chuck?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2chucks.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	1047264

I cooked them both, is that cheating?

Anyway, I am wondering which of these two you would pick to cook as a roast and why? Trying to get better at picking meats.

My pre-cook thoughts were that I like the marbling on the right but it's got that very pronounced sinew which I fear will be tough. No pronounced sinew on the left, maybe some fat that I should have trimmed but minimal marbling. I thought the one on the left would be the most tender and juicy coming off the grill. This photo is post 18-bour dry brine.

I'll post my observations on the cook a little later after I read some tips and observations about the two cuts

Left one

Comment

I usually cook in pairs but agree with above, the left....

Comment

I'd braise th LH one as a Roast, due to less interstitial marbelin, smoke th RH one to as close to perfecktion as my limited abilities will allow....

As a side note, th twain of em, ground together, would, most likely, make fer some dang dang good burgesas...

Wha??? Trim??? Trim Wha??? Fat???

Gasp!

Phewwwwwww...............

>Breathe In,...............Breathe out, .....Think bout how wonderful puppies smell, warm Summer rain, an even how a Dolphin's kisses feels..........<
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 19, 2021, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          So, Summer Rain don't indicate impendin Insanity, jus th other two??? LOL Troutman
          Whew!!! Imagine my relief, Brother!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          JimLinebarger When they's young enough, puppies smell th same same, either end, ie.; they smell like newborn puppies... so, reckon I was usin that as a 'Median Average'...

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Also, Troutman NEVER underestimate how incredibly Life Changin a Dolphin's kisses can be...there is, in my global travels, no other such an experience, or even comparable ...

Right one if I'm smoking it. I like the marbling flecked throughout.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Zig-Zag, 1.5

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones, I eat the gummy bears rare.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Richard Chrz They Ain't No Place, Like Gummy Bears, Brother!

I agree the one on the right. But I would sure have fun cooking both!

Comment

Well if you could chuck wood with smoke. Than you could probably smoke chuck with wood. Right.
          Or is that if a wood chuck could chuck wood.
          Somebody please help me. 😳😂😂

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I suppose it depends upon how many Chuck’s a woodchuck could chuck.

One of these days I'ma gonna smoke either a whole clod or roll. Since I cook for only 3 might wait until fall to freeze the rest for winter.

Comment

Definitely the right one due to the marbling.

Comment

How much chuck would a beef chuck cook if a beef chuck could cook chuck?

Comment

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                Is an argument between to vegans still called a beef?

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Perhaps, a Rutabaga...

Smoke both of them then cut into cubes, and make "Chuck Burnt Ends", or "Poor Man's" burnt ends. Enjoy them with PBR.
              Now if I were to roast one it would be the one on the right due to the marbling.
              Better yet, roast both and compare. Learn by trial and error.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Or test by "fire"
                Not funny.

After 60 hours in a 138* SV bath, it won't matter. They will both be fork tender, and delicious.

Comment

Yes to both. Lol. Not helpful, I know, I just love cooking chuckies. Pot roast, ground for burger, grilled, smoked..... don’t matter much to me. Just get it to safe eating temp somehow and I will devour! Looking forward to your observations from the cooks!

Comment

Right… I think.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You write right, you wrote the right write, a rite of writing makes for a wordwright.

There is alot of chucking going on around here...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here