Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Favorite Commercial BBQ Sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Bullseye Original.

Comment

Swamp Boys is my current Fav. First of all, it looks fantastic, very smooth and a brilliant burgundy/mahogany. It's sweet with some heat. My next fav is Granny's. Lots of sweet. For tangy, I'm diggin BigBibGibson's red sauce.

I have over a dozen in the cooler now, with some more unopened waiting for the tasting.

I don't do sauce save for pulled pork, and sometimes when we reheat. I think it really helps when we reheat brisket and do a brisket chop.

Comment

Trader Joe's Bold and Smoky Kansas City Style or Trader Joe's Carolina Gold are good retail sauces. We like Bone Suckin' Sauce Original too. It is a pretty good sauce that is on the thinner side. Good on chicken.
        Last edited by Munch; July 3, 2015, 12:01 PM.

Comment

WOW

A lot of brands I've never heard of!

My tastes have really been changin. For years, I've been a Bullseye Original guy, sometimes cutting it with apple cider vinegar and adding some crushed red pepper. Recently, I've been enjoying Jack Daniels #7. Also, I rarely use sauce with my ribs, just pulled pork. Just enjoy the flavor of the nekkid ribs too much!

Bit now I have MANY more I need to try. Not a fan of Stubbs nor Yuengling.

Comment

Anything that doesn't have "Corn Syrup" as a first or second ingredient. I do buy those but only for glazing and they work well for that.

Thanks for the posts. I suspect that there are regional sauces that are killer and not available everywhere so those posts are useful. We have a local sauce that's in meat markets only, first ingredients: Brown Sugar, Tomato paste.. Took fourth out of 421 entries at American Royal.

Since I'm not a sauce fan I like to look for sauces that have done well in contests to try when I decide to get saucy.

Comment

The whole line of Diana Sauces are great as far as bottled sauces go. http://www.dianasauce.ca/mobile/products.asp

This is a Canadian company so I'm not sure you can get it in the States, but if you see some, it's definitely worth the $4.

Comment

When I'm too lazy ( which is frequent ) to make my own, I've used Dave's Original. Got 2 bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's to try next.

Comment

Just tasted Head Country tonight.....ugh! Horrible!

It tastes like cocktail sauce imho. I cannot stand anything with a horseradish taste, even the smell will invoke my gag reflex.

I'm hoping to try Blue's Hog and Swamp Boys next. PaulstheRibList posted pics of his pulled pork and it looks very tasty.

My favorite commercial sauce is probably the original Cattlemans. Not the grocery store bottles, but the food service variety. The store bought flavors are pretty generic imo.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                    PaulstheRibList commented
                    Editing a comment
                    those are 2 good sauces! add Granny's to make a trio!

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    SteveFromLafayette ...

Ditto on the Cattleman's original. Very few grocery stores stock it anymore. So now I make my own sauce or occasionally I'll buy Rufus Teague's sauce. They have 3 different blends but I like the "little bit of heat" blend the best.

• SteveFromLafayette
                    SteveFromLafayette commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Breadhead I'm going to order a bottle of Rufus Teague. I'll make sure to get the Lil bit of heat version.

I like Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet, if I use a sauce that I didn't make myself.

Comment

jholmgren I really liked Carolina Sweet. I hope to try Carolina Classic and Memphis Original soon.

Comment

• jholmgren
                      jholmgren commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We ate at one of their restaurants in Charleston a couple of years ago. My middle son still talks about it, we liked it so much we went back the next night - something we NEVER do when vacationing.
                      We are going back this summer to take a cruise and Daniel is already looking forward to going back.

• SteveFromLafayette
                      SteveFromLafayette commented
                      Editing a comment
                      jholmgren Nice! I took my nephew to Franklin BBQ, and now he keeps asking me when we're going back!

Locally in the metro Atlanta area, there's Williamson Brothers BBQ, and they have 3 locations. They distribute their sauces locally here in Georgia at Kroger and Publix stores, but I don't know if they go distribute outside the state.

Their original sauce is the standard red sauce, but with the big black pepper flakes seen in the jar. Sweet, but not very with the pepper to keep it down.

They also have the Carolina mustard sauce. Very tangy, good mustard, and great on chicken for me.

They also have variations of the two with the hotter blends, or mixed with honey, but I've not tried them. Sticking with the basic they offer.

Sorry SteveFromLafayette isn't a fan of Head Country Sauce as I kind of like it myself. However, their rubs are a bit too salty for me.

Comment

But if we're talking really commercial where the sauce is more widespread, then I'd pick Sticky Fingers Tennessee Whiskey.

Comment

I don't usually like sauce on my bbq unless it's pulled pork .. then I use it sparingly. The kids like Sweet Baby Ray's or CattleBoyZ original

Comment

The two I keep for "just in case"

Johnny Harris
                          Rib Rack

But I really need to get some Black Swan.
                          Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 30, 2016, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Great on the grill or in the kitchen: you can cook with it because it’s real sauce made from fresh pureed vegetables!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here