Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Favorite Commercial BBQ Sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, I'm not a huge sauce guy but I would have to go with....Not gonna lie on this one, Famous Dave's Texas Pit. I know its a huge corporate deal but that's kinda what we've always had. (Plus, Dave's HQ is in my hometown)

Comment

Kraft original thick and spicy for me.

Comment

Anyone ever try The Shed's sauce?

Comment

As much as I love barbecue, I have never really loved the classic barbecue sauce. My favorite sauce (that I grew up on, which probably explains it) is Carolina Treet (a N Carolina vinegar sauce), which I use as a mop sauce more than a finish. It's that or just the rub. Although, like a previous poster, my family likes a KC style sauce, so sometimes I'll do a portion with Kinders, because its organic, available at Costco, and they like it. But holy crap I love Carolina Treet on ribs or shoulder, or chicken, or...

Comment

Wow, what an interesting and informative thread. BBQ sauce is really a personal thing.

I was raised on mustard based sauces and that is mostly my preference today. Commercial sauces that I buy are Williamson Brothers BBQ sauce. I get it by the gallon and use it as a base when I make my different sauces.

I have friends that are always trying to convert me to their personal favorite sauce. That kind of bothers me. When I have company over for BBQ I put out about a dozen different sauces and hope everyone finds something they like.

Comment

To start with, I never ever serve store bought sauce with meat from the smoker, only the grill. My experience has been that store-boughts do not stand up well in the smoker.

For the grill, I'm partial to SBR Original for chicken. KC Masterpiece is good once in a while on burgers, when we use sauce. I love Famous Dave's Devil's Spit, good stuff, too spicy for my wife and daughters. And if you haven't tried it in a while, go pick up a bottle of good old Open Pit Original. It works on everything and is easy to adjust with add-ins.

Comment

My problem with store bought sauces is that whatever creativity or flavor you put in to your cook, once you sauce it that's what it tastes like. Spent all night and half the next day brining, seasoning, and smoking a beautiful pork shoulder? Hello, Sweet Baby Ray!

It just irks me, it really does. Yeah, some of these sauces are really good. So why not just order out from Smokey Bones then.

I'll make my own damn sauce, even if it's from a recipe.

Comment

Mosca Yep, that's why so many of us prefer to make our own. Then if all our hard work tastes like sauce, at least it's our sauce!

The worst, for me, is making a nice steak dinner and someone asks for sauce. I have a friend who wants her steak well done w/ A1. Uggh. We have them over for ribs, not steak anymore. You can put A1 on a Prime ribeye or a cheap overcooked bottom round steak and both will taste identical, like A1.

Sure the ultimate point is friendship and fellowship, so just give them what they want even if it's A1 or ketchup. But I prefer to not see my hard work and pride slathered in that!
                  Last edited by Huskee; July 1, 2015, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee that friend wouldn't be my wife would it? That's sounds just like her, well done with A1 sauce...😝

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DWCowles Ha ha, it's a little different when it's your wife I suppose. My wife used to prefer well done, then I slowly got her to tolerate a little pink (I used to prefer medium to medium-well myself). The last couple years she's been a trooper and eaten medium-rare with me. I'm glad I won her over, and I'm training all 3 of my boys to appreciate it too.

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee Whenever I ask her to try a medium or medium well I hear this "There no way in hell That I'm going to eat a steak with pink in it. If you don't cook it well-done I will give it to dogs". I do believe the dogs understand what she said because all of a sudden they will jump up and down like cook it pink please cook it pink. 😂😂😂

I use sauce mostly on pulled pork. I used to get KC masterpiece coz it was cheap at costco. I haven't bought commercial sauce in years though.

Comment

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How many years Ernest

• Ernest
                    Ernest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Close to 3

Well done steak--it is a sin. My daughter brought home a college friend once. The friend wanted well done steak. I slipped a piece of bacon on the grill, then served it to the friend, who did get a real steak once I'd gotten my cheap laugh.

When I was very young, I was picked to go to the store to buy steak for a Boy Scout camping trip. Now, I knew what a good steak tasted like as my folks done raised me right, but I DIDN"T know that all steak was not created equal. I bought round steak based on price...what a crushing disappointment that was the evening we cooked it.

Similarly, the first batch of chili I ever made I used three heads of garlic, not realizing what a "clove" was.

Comment

right now i like Nickels bbq.http://www.nickelspitbbq.com

Comment

Good to hear so many kind words about my Black Swan BBQ Sauce. I finally took a few minutes to update the website. There are a lot of online BBQ sauce sites that sell Black Swan by the bottle. Check it out: http://blackswancompany.com/Where_to_Buy.html

Comment

• DWCowles
                        DWCowles commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We need to order another case. We have went thur 3 bottles and gave 3 bottles away.

Well, I was in a rush one day and not in the mood to make homemade sauce. While at the store, I was mainly looking for one thing, no high fructose corn syrup. Well well what do I see... apparently Weber has sauces now. I've been buying them ever since!

Comment

I can see where following this thread is going to eat up space on the Big Store shelf, I just ordered a case of Black Swan Original from WallyMart and a 4-pack of Carolina Treet direct. If I keep this up pretty soon I won't have any room left for toilet paper or paper towels and the wife will have my a$$.

Next week I think I'll order the Nickel's House Sauce!

So many sauces, so little time.....

Comment

• mayapoppa
                          mayapoppa commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'd love to hear how you like the Carolina Treet... I don't see much mention of it here!!

• billg71
                          billg71 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          mayapoppa, I'll let you know. I cut my teeth on vinegar-based mops, I'm hoping it'll be a return to my childhood. Now if I could just remember what that was like....

• TheSmokingYeti
                          TheSmokingYeti commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Their Carolina sauce is really good also.

Max Good last night's pulled pork nachos, with "mexican blend" cheese added to the chips first, then a generous amount of fresh-off-the-smoker pulled pork, sour cream, then Max's Beso del Fuego sauce.

Unreal.

All I'm sayin' is just try it if it interests you in the slightest. Good to the unreal power. Kudos Max for creating a BBQ sauce that's both BBQ and salsa good!

​ Photo is pre- Beso del FuegoClick image for larger version

Name:	pp nachos.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	94179

Comment

• Max Good
                          Max Good commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Fresh jalapenos and habaneros give my Beso Del Fuego heat plus distinctive flavor!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here