Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best bbq sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best bbq sauce?

A friend asked me this, what is the best bbq sauce. I ended up saying that it is what you like best. If I hit a meat right, I don't use sauce. If I overcook something, it can be saved with sauce. I think a sweeter sauce is better with pork or chicken, a spicier sauce is better with beef. But that is just me. I am sure he asked because I am a KCBS judge and might know what the cooks use. But they don't even necessarily use that stuff at home for themselves. I would even say that if you like your ribs fall off the bone, that is your best bbq. He wanted me to know about a bbq sauce called Daddy Sam's, and I got a jar and it is good. I just wouldn't say any one bbq sauce is the best.

Completely depends on your palate and the protein you are putting it on.

Comment

I actually enjoy any bbq sauce

Comment

Best sauce is salt and pepper, maybe as some stylin with ground chili, garlic, or pepper

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          We tend to lean that way as well. My wife always wants just the taste of the meat, I tend to agree but do sauce from time to time.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          I may put a vehicle and chili based sauce on pulled pork, but that's about it. then only occasionally. about to do some beef back ribs with just my dry rub, hot sauce as a binder of course. will be no sauce. Troutman

I'm with you 110%.

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Except my part of the woods my peeps think Huskee's Shawsh is da best.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          You mean my sauce is internationally famous?? HOW COOL IS THAT! Thanks for making me smile! holehogg

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I marked the shawsh recipe but never got around to making it. I really like mustard based sauces, so I am definitely making the mustard shawsh.

pretty much I only like BBQ sauce on burgers .... other than that, I give it a pass. But my answer, like it is to many things, is that the best BBQ sauce is the one you like.

Comment

We’re on our 3rd or 4th batch of Original Shawsh. My wife can’t get enough of it.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            👍 👍

I have made a few of the BBQ sauces from the free site and Huskee's Shawsh (original).
          My 2 favourites are KC style and Huskee's original the others fell short of these 2.
          We have a number of so called BBq sauces in our stores but there is only 1 that I would buy if I had no other option.
          In other words we are not spoilt for choice.

Comment

Hoisin.

BOOM!
            You are welcome.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              au poivre

I agree with you, usually no sauce for me. But being from N. Alabama I'm quite fond of white sauce, especially on chicken.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              agreed, I DO like a good Cornell style sauce on chicken sometimes!

• mrteddyprincess
              mrteddyprincess commented
              Editing a comment
              Alabama white sauce is killer on chicken! It's my daughter's favorite thing I ever make.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Love that stuff!

Like said, don't use sauce myself but have a variety if wanted. Hurts when you see a guest ask for and then drown that poor piece of meat without even trying it first.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              My FIL salts his food at the table before ever tasting it. Doh!!

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Ross Perot would hire someone if during the dinner interview they salted their food before tasting it. HouseHomey

I believe that many here believe that a well prepared piece of meat is its own best sauce. However, sometimes a little lipstick on the pig makes it different and sometimes a little interesting.

Comment

Good friend of mine would smoke around 100 butts for a large annual charity event. He did this for 20 years. People would approach him each year for his sauce recipe. They’d say it’s the best they’ve ever had. He’d tell them it was a family secret. He let me in on it.

"It’s just KC Masterpiece watered down to be able to get more out of it for a large event" he’d tell me with a laugh.

Comment

• Murdy
                Murdy commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol, I knew a guy that would take Open Pit and squeeze fresh watermelon juice into it, and it was actually pretty good.

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                I heard a similar story with Kraft Original as the sauce. I like the watering down idea.

• dsohmer
                dsohmer commented
                Editing a comment
                We used to buy Kraft, KC or whatever was on sale in the big bottles at Sam's and mix it with orange marmalade.

Hard to beat Masterpiece.

Comment

did someone say ”sauce"? Here's how I hit the sauce...
                Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Loves me some Texas Style Sauce, Brother!

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's my kinda sauce - I need to get into distilling: I've got 20 gallons of mead that didn't turn out to my liking, want to make some mead brandy out of it.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here