Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you make your own sauce, how do you store it and how do you serve it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you make your own sauce, how do you store it and how do you serve it?

So far I've created 3 sauces (or sauce-like things) in the past year.

* Texas Mop Sauce

* MH's Prime Rib Gravy

* An attempt at recreating Arby's Sauce

The Arby's sauce I put into a jar and spooned it onto my roast beef. The mop sauce, containing onions and peppers, needs to be spooned. So I have it in a tupperware container. The gravy also is traditionally spooned.

The Arby's sauce didn't *need* to be spooned, but it's the container I had at the time.

There's no reason BBQ sauces COULDN'T be spooned. But traditionally they're in those narrow-necked ketchup-like bottles or, in restaurants, a squeeze bottle.

What do you guys do and does it affect how long the sauce holds?

I like to to store my sauces on Ball Jars. They seal well and they come in all different kinds of sizes. They make it cheap and easy to share the sauce as well. A big pack of jars is really cheap. And they work really well.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Canning means you put a boiling pot of water with jars in them. Add your temperature hot liquid to a jar from the boil. Then put the lid on. Once it cools to even room temp the lid will pop down. If it ever pops up it is bad. I do this with hot salsa when tomatoes are in season.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yes, i used to love canning with my grandma back in the day. BriggsBBQ

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      If you are going to preserve by canning, I suggest reading the information on this site: http://nchfp.uga.edu/

I pressure can in ball jars

Comment

I have a bunch of Squeeze bottles that I store my sauces in.
      Attached Files

Comment

• djotaku
        djotaku commented
        Editing a comment
        do they hold well that way?

I store my homemade sauces in canning jars (Ball, Mason, Kerr, etc...) but usually pour them into shallow bowls with a soup spoon for serving. Works for chunky sauces as well as liquid.

Comment

I've had no issues with mine. I don't make high amounts, usually enough to fill one bottle and I use it without about a month, maybe a little longer.

Comment

I find that canning jars work the best for me. Anything with vinegar and ketchup tends to stain plastic containers.

Comment

I too use Ball Mason jars. The KC Sauce from this site should last a month, but I rarely have it that long before it's gone.

Comment

Jars if I have any available. I will mix the sauce (shake) right in a molasses jar if it has the right amount. I've taken ziplocs full of new sauce and reloaded into empty ketchup bottles. And I do have the pointy squeezy ones. If using any squeeze spout you have to be mindful of onions/garlic/solids that may clog the opening. I'm not into wasting food but as for how does it keep if you did have to toss half a container of sauce its probably about 30 cents of ingredients in there. I usually do my sauces in smaller batches, that I will likely use that day or with lefvtovers.

Comment

I use Heniz ketchup in my sauce ("shawsh") recipe so I save the large squeeze bottles (64oz) clean them out real good and they become my BBQ sauce bottles. I serve it room temp or warmed up, and store it in the fridge for months & moths until it starts to taste off. I also have a few similar to what Jetski posted above that I caught at Sam's, however they don't have the cap, so I have to put some plastic wrap over the bottle then screw the lid on.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I also save my French's mustard bottles since I use a lot of that in my sauces, too. Works great for people to know if it is gonna be a tomato or mustard based sauce without having to read the label.

I store my sauces in some swing top bottles that at one time held vodka. At 750ml they hold about one batch of most sauces.

Comment

I save all of my ketchup and mustard bottles that my store bought stuff comes in. I tape a piece of paper over the label with my new label. Like this picture shows

I do the same thing with my rubs. I keep all the big costco spice shakers, relabel them for my rub, and voila .... perfect rub storage with built-in shaker lids. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0013.JPG Views:	2 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	323328

Comment

• djotaku
                    djotaku commented
                    Editing a comment
                    looks nice

• Notavegan
                    Notavegan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One of those paper labels reads "whiskey BBQ sauce".

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Notavegan .... yeah, I make a whiskey BBQ sauce that goes pretty good with pulled pork

I make big batches and can it in wide-mouth quart canning jars to give great shelf life. I am very diligent about cleanliness and temperatures to keep bugs and botulism out. The jars are cheap and you can see if the seal failed. Also, I love to give sauce away to friends. My kids won't eat commercial sauces now and I serve them in squeeze bottles I bought at a foodservice store (also cheap)

Comment

• Notavegan
                    Notavegan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sono just reminded me. Got a dollar store nearby? I went to one and cleaned house on rubs etc, and also grill gear and spatulas etc. for a buck? I scored a real nice bbbr from there, tried it on brisket and chuckies, awesome. Buck buck.

Canning jars or recycled plastic containers from other products. I generally have one ketchup bottle that has the sauce from the latest cook in it for daily use. But, overall, I jar my sauce and usually either go through it or give it away. now that I use pig's feet, I have enough raw material that makes more than just what is needed for that hunk of meat. that means I have extra for adding into Brunswick Stews, Baked beans or even burgers or the odd rotisserie Chicken from Sam's.

Comment

I use squeeze bottles I buy from a nearby restaurant supply store. They hold for 4-6 weeks. I make small batches. I store rubs in Ball/Mason jars.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here