Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe for Katz's pastrami rub question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe for Katz's pastrami rub question

In the recipe for the Katz's pastrami rub---Please, someone clarify this: "Begin by crushing the seeds. If you wish, you can use only powdered coriander, ground black pepper, and ground mustard, but I like using some whole seeds. If you are using some whole seeds, pour them into a zipper bag and smash them with the bottom of a sauce pan so they are "cracked" but not completely powdered."
    Is there an "or" missing in the recipe between the whole seeds amount and the powdered amounts? That is, should I read this as cracked whole peppercorns OR coarse ground? Or does it mean cracked peppercorns AND coarse ground?

Yes

Comment

I made this recipe myself not too long ago, and feel there is a missing "or" as you point out. I used ground on most of the spices, and had some whole coriander, so crushed that in a zip lock bag using a rolling pin. I want to say that due to being ground, I cut back slightly on some of the ones where the recipe amounts called for whole seeds.

Comment

I've made it several times, always interpreted as "and" not "or" - figured the powdered was mandatory, the whole was optional addition..

Comment

Every time I make it, I use whole seeds plus the ground spices in the amounts noted in the recipe (2 tbl whole peppercorns plus 2 tbl coarse ground black pepper, etc).

Comment

His recipe is for 1/2 cup total. The recipe as shown equals 24 tsps which equals 1/2 cup. Therefore you would used both whole and ground.

Comment

OK - the conjunction then is AND - thank you all. My take on the rub is - a bit too peppery. One piece gave me hiccups from the pepper. We'll see how my wife and son feel about the flavor tomorrow when we have a family dinner! On this cook, i made two pastramis from one big hunk o' flat cut in half. (i got an excellent price on a whole cryo-pak 15.75 lb brisket at a Restaurant Depot). At the temperature stall between 160 and 170 degrees F I continued the cook for perhaps 2 hours. The temp stall lasted that long, so I finally made a crutch, and finished the cook to 203 degrees. The meat is delicious, but i feel i lost a lot of moisture during the stall. Next time, I'll know!

Comment

The rub that was in the older version of Meathead's pastrami recipe had too much pepper for my family's tastes. I replace half of the pepper with dried juniper berries. I don't remember the old recipe making a distinction between ground and whole, but this one appears the same or similar. Anyway, I just use whole pepper, coriander, mustard, and juniper berries and chop it all up in a magic bullet.

Comment

I would not use fine ground pepper. Coarse is fine. You pretty much want coarse pepper grind and roughly the same grind level of coriander seed. I never use the mustard.

Comment

• holehogg
                    holehogg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Coarse is fine?😊

• rickgregory
                    rickgregory commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Of coarse

I hate all cracked or whole peppercorn or coriander seeds. They are bitter when bitten into and just get stuck in your teeth. But that’s my opinion, experiment on your own and find your recipe that works for you.

Comment

• rickgregory
                    rickgregory commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's why I go with coarse grind pepper and the try to get the coriander the same. The blade grinder I used for a spice grinder just died and I'll replace it with some kind of burr grinder for a more consistent grind so I can do non-peppercorn seeds better with out the fine to just cracked variance.

• Oak Smoke
                    Oak Smoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +1

Where is the recipe for this? I LOVE and MISS Katz's once I moved away from the City.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderayne View Post
                    Where is the recipe for this? I LOVE and MISS Katz's once I moved away from the City.
                    It’s all here: https://amazingribs.com/?s=Katz
                    … including a a variation or two.

Comment

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
                      It’s all here: https://amazingribs.com/?s=Katz
                      … including a a variation or two.
                      I can't thank you enough. I so miss their meats.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderayne View Post

I can't thank you enough. I so miss their meats.
                        What is the Pastrami Rub they reference?

Comment

It’s the first thing on the page I posted: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-pastrami-rub/

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here