Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Pastrami - Perfected

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVQ Pastrami - Perfected

Folks you have GOT to try this method for Pastrami. This is far and away the best I've ever made, and I'm not sure it can get any better. I used Meathead's recipe, and tweaked it with my own experience as well as some advice I received from
    docblonder over a pastrami dinner we have in Boston last year. I'll highlight the differences from the standard recipe as I describe my process.

Acquire meat. My butcher rarely has brisket on the shelf, but always has boneless short ribs. I was wanting to try something different anyway so this time I grabbed 6 pounds of Angus grade boneless short rib meat which had been cut into many similar sized 4 ounce pieces.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0066.JPG
Views:	1983
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	148542

I cured the meat for 2 1/2 weeks using Meathead's curing recipe, but bumped up 50% since the recipe is for 4 lbs of meat and I was curing 6. After the cure the meat looked florescent pink and the curing liquid was clear of cloudiness or scum.

Name:	IMG_1427.JPG
Views:	1384
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	148547

Name:	IMG_1428.JPG
Views:	1386
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	148543

After the cure I desalinated the meat for 8 hours then rubbed it with Meathead's pastrami rub

Name:	IMG_1438.JPG
Views:	1375
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	148546

Let that sit in the fridge uncovered for a couple of days

Name:	IMG_1502.JPG
Views:	1398
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	148544

Then it's time to smoke. I placed the meat on the indirect side of the kettle with Slow 'N Sear and smoked it at 225 F. I used three cherry chunks for smoke flavor.

Name:	IMG_1514.JPG
Views:	1399
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	148545

After around 6 hours the meat was past the stall and hovering at 170 F internal temp. This is different from Meathead's recommendation to take off before the stall, however, I've found if you cook through the stall and let the bark set you end up with a better final result. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1520.JPG
Views:	1417
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	148564

Thanks to the Slow 'N Sear I never had to flip or move the meat and all pieces cooked evenly. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1522.JPG
Views:	1367
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	148565

This is what they looked like after the smoke. And yes, I ate the sliced one! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1532.JPG
Views:	1424
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	148563

Here is the last key difference. I didn't steam the meat. Dr. Blonder let me in on a little secret, which I'm now sharing with you and only you (shhhhh). Sous Vide the meat at 195 F for 4 hours. It makes the meat even more tender than steaming and it's not quite as bad on the bark. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1555.JPG
Views:	1347
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	148570

Name:	IMG_1560.JPG
Views:	1356
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	148568

Here's the final result! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1601.JPG
Views:	1382
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	148569

This was the best pastrami I've ever eaten. I think the 1) boneless short ribs, 2) slow smoking until the bark set, and 3) the final sous vide at 195 F are the way to go. It will take some real convincing to ever get me to go back to brisket.

Comment

Sweet. The chruddy short rib we get here would need a 195 for 24 hours sous vide.

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        With your ample supply of whole packers I'm struggling to feel a lot of sympathy

David Parrish maybe you can do the same steps with a brisket and than decide which is best or the same.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Short rib is generally better than the point on brisket. There's not really a need.

Now, short rib versus plate... That's a discussion worth having.

Thanks for the great write-up, David Parrish. It would be fun to give your method a try.

Kathryn

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        You should! It was amazing and much simpler than brisket/steam.

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
      David Parrish maybe you can do the same steps with a brisket and than decide which is best or the same.
      I served this to ten people. They all agreed they couldn't tell I hadn't used brisket based on taste and texture. One of them said he preferred it over brisket.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok David Parrish I'm going to do this but it has to be in July when we take our 2 week vacation so I will have the time to do it. Now I need to decide if I want to use brisket or beef ribs. We will see when the time comes.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Try both! That'd be a great experiment. And remember it was boneless short rib meat.

Nice!

I too agree that the meat being smoked past the stall, to 'good bark', is a worthy step. Those short ribs look killer! That marbling is awesome.
      Last edited by Huskee; March 16, 2016, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
        Sweet. The chruddy short rib we get here would need a 195 for 24 hours sous vide.
        Jerod if you had any more packers near you, you'd be a Green Bay cheerleader.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          LifebyC Cool, didn't know that. I am not big into sports, I assumed they all had 'em.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like some kind of conflict between short skirts and cold locations!

• Atalanta
          Atalanta commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF The Philadelphia Eagles have cheerleaders and we're not that much warmer than P'burgh or NY.

Beautiful

Comment

Beautiful and thanks for documenting this. I have never made pastrami and this I what I plan on doing first. Now, if my local stores have boneless short ribs...I don't know; never looked for them. I realize prices on meat can vary wildly, but what did you pay per pound David Parrish?

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Might sound expensive but my butcher charges the same amount for a brisket flat. lol

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            JAW DROP on $9/LB for short ribs.

• 7x57mm
            7x57mm commented
            Editing a comment
            Now I don't feel so bad about paying $7/lb for brisket point

This was extremely helpful. I corned a bunch of moose a while back and today something inspired me to get it out and do something with it. I decided I wanted to give pastrami a whirl. I'm going to try two different methods at the same time:

1. Sous vide first for about 48 hours. I'll then let it cool a bit, hit it with the rub and move it onto the smoker.

2. The reverse of #1 - closer to what David Parrish describes above. Rub ---> Smoke ---> Sous vide finish.

I'm fairly sure #2 is going to win but it certainly doesn't hurt to experiment!

Comment

• ewx050
            ewx050 commented
            Editing a comment
            Method 1 is what I do with deer pastrami. Rub, sous vide at 140 for 30 hours. Cool a bit in fridge. Then smoke. Perfection.
            Last edited by ewx050; Today, 05:34 PM.

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
          It will take some real convincing to ever get me to go back to brisket.
          I'd stay away from Texas, or my backyard, if I were you.

Comment

David Parrish , I was in the grocery store this morning and saw the butcher (kinda rare any more).

Since I do not recall ever seeing boneless short ribs, I asked him about it. Told him I'd heard it makes GREAT pastrami.

His eyes kinda glazed over, his mouth fell open, and then "WOW". Said he'd never heard of that, but agreed it just might be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
              David Parrish , I was in the grocery store this morning and saw the butcher (kinda rare any more).

Since I do not recall ever seeing boneless short ribs, I asked him about it. Told him I'd heard it makes GREAT pastrami.

His eyes kinda glazed over, his mouth fell open, and then "WOW". Said he'd never heard of that, but agreed it just might be awesome!

It truly is. Phenomenal even. Perhaps there is no good enough adjective to describe it's awesomeness.

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Mostest Awesomest? See, there's always another level

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking forward to trying it!! REALLY REALLY looking forward to it!

• mjwintl
                mjwintl commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesometastic?

Those really look great David Parrish !! The local Publix carries something called Boneless Chuck Short Ribs. Do you suppose that's the same cut as you used, or something different. Here's a pic from the Publix web site.

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1445
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	160295

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe that's a different cut, BUT, I bet it's turn out great!

• Doc Hazard
                Doc Hazard commented
                Editing a comment
                If it says "Chuck" it's unlikely to be from the short plate. I'd guess it's cut from the chuck roll. Here's a web reference, and a great source for cut info: http://www.beeffoodservice.com/recipecut.aspx?id=378 and it will probably be good.

• willxfmr
                willxfmr commented
                Editing a comment
                I think you'd have to ask the butcher to be sure. "ribs" come from a lot of different places on the cow.

From the site linked to by Doc Hazard
                CHUCK SHORT RIBS, BONELESS
                Also Known As: Beef ribs; Boneless Beef Short Ribs; Boneless Braising Ribs; Chuck boneless short ribs; English Short Ribs; Middle Ribs

A crowd favorite, known for their richness and meatiness. Flavorful, moist and tender when slow-cooked.

Boneless version of IMPS item number 130.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here