Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor Man's Shrimp Bisque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Man's Shrimp Bisque

I also make my own version of Shrimp bisque.

Shrimp Marinade:
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    1 tsp Granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp Black pepper
    1/2 to 1 tsp Cayenne pepper​​

Mix this up, then add up to 1lb. of shrimp and mix it to coat them well in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, no more.​

Then sauté shrimp in:
    2 Tbs. of butter and
    1 medium size shallot, diced​

In a double boiler melt 2 Tbs. sweet butter.
    Add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup,
    Add 1 can of cream of chicken soup.
    Add 2 cans of Evaporated milk.
    1/4 cup Dry Sherry
    2 tsp Worcestershire, and
    a few shakes of you favorite hot sauce.

I figure 4 whole shrimp per person. The shrimp are cut into thirds. so each person would get 12 cut pieces. so depending on the # of people and the size of your pan, determines the amount of shrimp.

I use a slotted spoon to remove the shrimp and add equal amounts to each bowl first, so everyone gets the same amount of shrimp and then laddle in the soupy part.
    Last edited by wrgilb; February 15, 2023, 04:08 PM.

That looks like a winner.

Comment

Couple questions: When you say "marinated as above in butter and shallots", is this referring to your other (grilled shrimp) recipe, and how much butter and shallots? Also, how much is "a little Worcestershire? And how much shrimp is "some shrimp", a 1lb bag?

I'm very interested in this, but I want to make sure this is done properly.

Thanks wrgilb!

Comment

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes the same marinade as the grilled shrimp, then sautéed in the butter and shallots. 2 Tbs. of butter and 1 medium size shallot, diced. 2 tsp. of Worcestershire. Hot sauce to your liking, I use about 1-2 tsps. I figure 4 whole shrimp per person. The shrimp are cut into thirds. so each person would get 12 cut pieces. so depending on the # of people and the size of your pan, determines the amount of shrimp, if that makes since.

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, I use a slotted spoon to remove the shrimp and add to each bowl first, so everyone gets the same amount of shrimp and then laddle in the soupy part.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        wrgilb Thanks. I edited the recipe above the include all of this for clarity. Thanks!

@Huskee​ Thanks for the help. I made a few more little tweaks for clarification. The original soupy part is something I got from a Paula Dean recipe, years ago. She just used pre-cooked shrimp in hers and the shrimp part was kind of bland to me, so I tweaked it by marinating the shrimp and then sautéing them before adding to the soupy part. Enjoy!!

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Paula Dean! She was interesting. I have her Pot Roast recipe that is killer. Best Pot Roast I have ever had.

Originally posted by captainlee View Post
      That looks like a winner.
      no pictures, did it happen?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here