Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Shrimp Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Shrimp Recipe

I use the 21-25 count (2 lb, from Costco) peeled and deveined all the time. They are very good. Here's one thing I do with them that is a real hit with people. I'm always asked to bring my shrimp to get togethers. Here's my method.

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    1 tsp Granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp Black pepper
    1/2 to 1 tsp Cayenne pepper

Mix this up, then add 1 lb shrimp and mix it to coat them well in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, no more. Grill hot and fast for 2 to 3 minutes a side or until opaque. Serve by themselves or with your favorite sauce.
    Last edited by wrgilb; February 15, 2023, 03:33 PM.

This looks great, and I'll be trying it soon!

Do you grill these shrimp on actual grill grates, or on a flat top? Just wondering which grill to take this to, as well as how they would turn out in a skillet if its raining outside...

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim, I skewer the shrimp when I gill them on high - about two minutes per side.

Thanks for sharing! So the recipe above is for one 21-25 count bag?

Comment

• wrgilb
      wrgilb commented
      Editing a comment
      The 21-25 count bag is 2 lbs. I believe. The recipe will do about 1/2 a bag or 1 lb., Otherwise it gets to crowded in the bowl.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks wrgilb, I made a couple small edits to the recipe to mention this.

jfmorris I used to skewer them 5 to a skewer in the shape of the letter C. Easier to flip. Now I use this grill basket from Ace, removing the handle so it fits on an 18" or 22" grill or gasser. I can do 25 at time this way and easy to flip, then just set them on top of the regular grates. I've also done them in a fry pan, sautéing in sweet butter and shallots, but then each one has to be turned individually, if you only need a few the pan is good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	11e0eb8e-8457-4abc-b8c0-ed94b48d877d.jpg Views:	7 Size:	21.4 KB ID:	1378189
    Last edited by wrgilb; February 15, 2023, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Ironically I had a basket like this that the kids gave me for Father's Day or something, and never used it, and sent it to the Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift store as a donation after several years of looking at it hanging around in the garden shed. Now I wish I had kept it! Actually, I think mine had a non-removable wooden handle, and I had to leave the grill open to use it, so maybe that is why I got rid of it.

What heat level? medium low, medium, medium high?

Comment

• wrgilb
      wrgilb commented
      Editing a comment
      Hot and fast. 2 to 3 minutes a side, 375-425, the higher the heat the shorter the cook time.

Thanks, this will pair well with my steak this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by wrgilb View Post
      I use the 21-25 count (2 lb, from Costco) peeled and deveined all the time. They are very good. Here's one thing I do with them that is a real hit with people. I'm always asked to bring my shrimp to get togethers. Here's my method.

1/4 cup olive oil
      1 tsp Kosher salt
      1 tsp Granulated garlic
      1/2 tsp Black pepper
      1/2 to 1 tsp Cayenne pepper

Mix this up, then add 1 lb shrimp and mix it to coat them well in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, no more. Grill hot and fast for 2 to 3 minutes a side or until opaque. Serve by themselves or with your favorite sauce.
      Another thing about this marinade is that I always use it for any shrimp dish I'm going to do, Scampi, fettuccine, stir fry etc. I haven't ordered a shrimp dish when we go out to dinner in a long time. In all the different shrimp dishes on the menus, I find the shrimp to not be very well seasoned and they always taste bland to me.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a great point. I think they naturally have a mild salty sweetness, so admittedly I don't season them either, beyond whatever sauce the dish has. I will give this method a go next time.

Originally posted by wrgilb View Post
      Another thing about this marinade is that I always use it for any shrimp dish I'm going to do, Scampi, fettuccine, stir fry etc. I haven't ordered a shrimp dish when we go out to dinner in a long time. In all the different shrimp dishes on the menus, I find the shrimp to not be very well seasoned and they always taste bland to me.
      The thing I hate about ordering many shrimp dishes in a restaurant is that many, especially in pasta, taste fishy to me. And I hate fish. Fishy fish and fishy smells. Many a delicious restaurant dinner has been compromised when a dining partner (who shall remain unnamed but who shares my life ) orders a fish dish, the smell of which overwhelms the table. Or when I walk into a restaurant or into Publix for that matter, and the smell of fish is the first that hits my smeller. But I digress...

For shrimp, I always rinse them in sake. You won't taste the sake, and the shrimp will taste delicious with no fishy flavor or odor no matter what the source. The only exception is for shrimp taken out of the water the very day that they are cooked. (Note: I'm now from a land-locked state, and unlike the years I spent living on the Gulf of Mexico, I have to make do with frozen, sometimes fishy-smelling shrimp. Sigh.)

I like this idea of grilling shrimp with your recipe and then adding them to any shrimp-containing dish. Brilliant, wrgilb ! Thank you. (shrimp heart emoji)

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Rinsing fish in sake: Not unless I don't like the smell, Skip , and if I really don't like the smell, I throw it out.

K.

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Publix is the last place you want to buy fish. You can look at it and see that it isn't fresh. Often, the first thing to hit my nostrils when I walk through the front door of our Publix is their fish counter, which is all the way in the back of the store.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I have exactly the same experience, hoovarmin . Each time I enter the only Publix near me, I smell bad fish. I said something to the manager when they first opened and were soliciting comments. The fishy smell at the door never changed, though, for what that was worth.

K.

I really like your approach to the rub.....shrimp do not need a complicated rub at all. I do mine in a cast iron pan as it always just me (wife doesn't like fish/shellfish), like you said.

I need to plan ahead more and do them on the grill as a side to a longer cook.

Comment

I used this on I think about 1 pound. Awesome combination with GrillGrates.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. Very similar to my go to marinade for grilled shrimp, fish and chicken which is your method, plus fresh squeezed limes and crushed fresh garlic. Careful not sit too long due to the citrus.

Comment

I tried your recipe today, made a double batch for 2# of shrimp and had a little left over and did scallops with it. I should have let the scallops marinate a little longer but it worked well with the scallops. Do you have a different recipe for grilling scallops??

Comment

• wrgilb
              wrgilb commented
              Editing a comment
              I just pan fry them in ghee until they get a nice crust on them and are sort of opaque.

This turned out great, subbed the cayenne for red curry. Awesome.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here