Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clam and Chorizo Stew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clam and Chorizo Stew

Click image for larger version  Name:	CDCA56A7-0DEB-42C3-AC6A-24CC6328ACD2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	126.1 KB ID:	1195636

Joey877

I put this recipe in the Fish/Seafood thread because the name starts with Clams 🤣 The recipe is from SE August 6, 2011. It has been removed from the site.

Serves: 4
    Active Time: 15 minutes, total time 25 minutes

I usually purchase my clams the day before so they can expel overnight to get rid of excess sand/grit. Honestly, last night, I only let them expel for about 3 hours and it was fine.

4 Chorizo Sauages (about 1#) - I have a note on the recipe stating Portuguese sausage
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    2 roma tomatoes, chopped
    4# little neck clams, soaked and scrubbe
    kosher salt and black pepper

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, add chorizo and cook until chorizo is crisp. Add the onion and cook until the onions are soft, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until they begin to fall apart, about 4 minutes. Add clams and cover with a tight fitting lid until the clams open, about 10 minutes.

Adjust seasoning as you like. Serve immediately with crusty bread and ice cold beer.

My notes: I have made this recipe exactly before and I riff on it as well. This is how last night went:

1/2-ish # Mexican chorizo, bulk, cooked until it began to release fat, it did not crisp up like a firm chorizo would. Could it have? Maybe, but I did not want to risk burning it.
    4 green onions, diced, sautéed the white for the recipe and garnished with the green tops
    2 Roma tomatoes
    1# little neck clams
    1 8 oz bottle of Bar Harbor clam juice - but next time, only 4 oz of clam juice

followed the cooking directions, adding the clam juice and bring to a simmer before adding the clams. Garnish with the green onions.
    Last edited by SheilaAnn; March 25, 2022, 05:22 PM. Reason: Adjusted for clam juice edit

Nice!! Definitely on the "2 Du" List!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Looks great! But, I'll admit that I have become a little gun shy: when I first glanced at the title I assumed this would be another Panhead John beet-based clam chowder-like recipe.
        Last edited by 58limited; March 25, 2022, 05:08 PM.

Comment

That looks delish! Might have to do this

Comment

Brilliant. A Portuguese classic.

Comment

Wth, where have you been all my life!?!?!? COME TO PAPA! (the stew to be clear)
            Last edited by texastweeter; March 25, 2022, 05:36 PM. Reason: Edited to keep from getting a divorce, lol

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Whew. For a second there I thought there was gonna be trouble on the home front. 😁

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              🤣🤣🤣🤣

I have some Linguica sausage in the freezer. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Sounds interesting and yummy. However, without this post I would have never thought of combining clams with chorizo.

Comment

That looks absolutely delicious. Nicely done.

One question though. The chorizo. Is it chopped or minced up?

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Never met a chorizo i didn't like. One of my favorites is sweet tater, chorizo, and walnut hash.

• SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  texastweeter now you hittin’ on my man? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I am so kidding, but I am serious when I say we are twins separated at birth. We are both on the same wave length! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼🠑ðŸ¼

• Bkhuna
                  Bkhuna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Steve B In the recipe it calls for Mexican chorizo. Mexican chorizo crumbles when you remove it from the plastic casings it's packed in because it's uncooked. Spanish chorizo and Portuguese chouriço are cured and smoked and are a ready to eat product. You could use them if you chopped them but you wouldn't need to cook them very long.

Will be right over, thanks!!!!

Comment

Thanks for posting this, I can't wait to try it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here