Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoyu (Soy) Chicken - Dutch Oven Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoyu (Soy) Chicken - Dutch Oven Recipe

Sittin' back and listening to some Dead South, drinkin' a Crabbie's Ginger Beer, all while eating this wonderful Shoyu Chicken. This is another recipe from my BIL who is from Hawaii and like his Hawaiian Chicken recipe ( https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...waiian-chicken ) I tweaked it a bit. First the recipe:

Shoyu Chicken

5 lbs Chicken thighs
    2 Tbsp Oil
    1 med. Yellow onion, chopped
    1 Stalk Celery, sliced
    1 Tbps Minced garlic
    1 Tbsp Minced ginger (I used pre-minced from the jar)
    1 Cup Dark brown sugar
    1 Tbsp Black pepper
    1 Cup Shoyu (soy sauce)
    2 cups Chicken stock
    1 cup Sake or dry white wine
    1 Star Anise
    1 Bunch green onion, sliced (white and light green parts, save the dark stems for later)
    1 Carrot, julienned or thin sliced

I use my large Dutch oven for this recipe. On the stove, heat the oil, add onion and saute until clear. Add celery about half way through. Add garlic, then start to brown the chicken. Add shoyu, sake, stock, black pepper, green onion (except stalks), brown sugar, and star anise. I move to the kamado at this point, I like the smokiness I get from cooking on it. I started with the kamado at 350* but dropped the temp to 250* to slow the simmer to a low simmer.

Simmer with the kamado lid closed about 1 hour until chicken is tender. After thirty minutes, add carrots. At about 45 minutes, I pull the chicken (if tender) and let the liquid cook down (lid up for this). I add the chicken back with the green onion tops and cook about 10 minutes more. I serve over brown rice.

Now for the pictures:

Sauteing the onions

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2839.JPG Views:	1 Size:	979.9 KB ID:	708755

Celery and garlic added. Now to lightly brown the chicken.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2840.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	708757

Shoyu, broth, sake, black pepper, brown sugar, star anise added. Brought to a simmer, added green onions, and moved to the kamado.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2841.JPG Views:	1 Size:	891.7 KB ID:	708756

Half way done, added carrots.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2842.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	708753

Juice thickened, added green onion tops.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2843.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	708754

And we eat! Served with my signature bacon wrapped stuffed shrimp and some Asian sausage I discovered today: after living here several years, I finally went to the local Asian market (couldn't find Star Anise anywhere else) and saw this dry sausage at the end of one of the aisles. Bought some and it is good, but very different from any sausage I've had before: a little sweetness, I can taste the 5 spice in it. This is supposed to be hot but bell peppers are hotter than this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2844.JPG Views:	1 Size:	892.0 KB ID:	708758

I'll post about the shrimp later but suffice it to say, they are famous from here to across the street, good enough to serve to company, or however you want to phrase it.

My Tweaks:

Chicken broth instead of water
    Wine or sake instead of water
    Celery
    Carrots
    Green onion stalks at the end
    Cooking on the grill

I cook my rice differently: lots of water, 1 T Kosher salt, two bay leaves, 1 cup rice. Drain like pasta. Found this method on http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/07/1...d-rice-recipe/
    Last edited by 58limited; July 7, 2019, 12:18 AM.

Nice going there!

Comment

That looks fantastic!

Comment

That sounds great.

Comment

Looks good. When you moved it to your kamado did you just use it as a grill or were you able to shut the lid and develop some smoke flavor?

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            I shut the lid, only opened for the pictures and to add the carrots and green onion tops.

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee

Looks great. What temp do you shoot for on the Kamado?

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            I started at 350* but closed off the vents to drop the temp to 250* because it was boiling too much. Post edited to add this info.
            Last edited by 58limited; July 7, 2019, 12:18 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here