Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you brew your coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drink espresso, Americanos and lattes mostly. I have been spending too much at Starbucks so I got set up to brew my own espresso a few days ago. It cost an arm and a leg to get the machine (semi-automatic heat exchanger) and a good grinder to grind the beans fresh, but man-o-man it makes a mean shot. I'm actually happy to report that I like the espresso that I make at home better than starbucks now, but I must admit that I am not the equal of the baristas in the specialty shops. Maybe with time heh.

I am also thinking of getting an Aeropress to take to and keep at the office.

I really find that buying good, freshly roasted beans and grinding them just prior to use makes a huge difference.

Comment

Coffee black. My wife drinks it with half and half. The three ridgebacks like it that way so she goes through two cups to every one that I drink. Watching her chasing them off and having to get a new cup would make a great scene in a comedy. They can's stand black coffee.

Comment

I have gone through durn near every coffee making method/machine in the past, from cowboy to aeropress to expensive Italian espresso machines. Lately I have settled on a Bonavita 1900 machine, which is probably in the top 95% of machines according to recently made up statistics. It has no bells and whistles, no burner plate, just a stainless steel thermo carafe. Sometimes drink it black, sometimes with a bit of low fat milk, and on weekends (right now, as a matter of fact) with just a touch (!) of Bailey's.

I stay away from Starbucks if at all possible. My beans come from Peet's, French Roast, ground fresh.

Comment

"Are you supposed to get a large amount of granules with French press? A veterinarian supervisor I had years ago was bragging about his French press and gave me some to try, and it looked like I had eaten a handful full of black pepper."

Jerod Broussard - For a French press, you've got to grind it really coarse using a good burr grinder that puts out really uniform grounds to avoid the problem that you describe. It's more than a little ironic that you need a $500 grinder to make a $15 French press work properly.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            No wonder. No need for me to go frenchy with my coffee-milk.

Sigh. I'm guessin' this will show my age...

Anybody, besides me ever heered of/remember Sam Arnold?

Usedta have a cookin' show on th' TV.... 'Frying Pans West'.

Also came out with a receipt book, fer th' same....

I remember, quite indelibly, th' receipt for 'Cowboy Coffee':

1 gal fresh water
          1 lb. coffee
          1 horseshoe

"Bring water to a rolling boil. Add coffee.
          Drop horseshoe into coffee pot.
          If it sinks, add more coffee."
          (Mine's jus' a bit South o' that...)

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Jerod Broussard ¡Ti ringrazio tanto, Paisano! Great write-up...

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones , I always appreciate your "Southern" insights!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF , Ah'm thankin' ya' fer yer kind words, Sir!

I like the Aero Press if I'm just doing one cup but there's too many parts to fiddle with first thing in the morning. Ditto for a French press.

I used a Cuisinart 12-cup coffee maker for years, it does OK and it has a 3-position warmer control so you don't smoke the remaining coffee too badly. Then I saw the review on coffee makers at America's Test Kitchen and bought the Technivorm Moccamaster 10-cup and it makes a really good cup of coffee. The insulated carafe keeps the brew at temp for 2-3 hours, long enough for me to finish the pot. And I grind the beans with a Capresso burr grinder, it's about the only burr grinder I've found that I can tolerate using early in the morning. It doesn't even scare the cats!

As kingdarb said, freshly ground coffee makes a big difference in the taste. Using enough coffee helps with the bitterness: 2 tablespoons/6 oz. is recommended, that's a LOT of ground coffee. But it really helps.

Best,
          Bill

Comment

I just use an electric percolator. It has no filter, but a basket with a very fine grid in it that allows water through, and not too much of the grounds. Yeah, there are a few grounds in the pot, but hey, it's real coffee. As for additives, I only add a mug to hold it. Black for me. Wife uses the fancy creamers and sweeteners.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Not previously mentioned, is that with a percolator, ya git them great grounds ya can dry out for yer rubs ;-) I also use BAC in some marinades, especially for beef

At home - french press with a decent Krups grinder.
            on the road - whatever coffee joint is handy
            fishing - my one burner white gas stove and 8 cup camp percolator

Comment

Revv K-Cup.

Comment

I use a ceramic French press and a Espresso machine that has a built in coffee grinder and a frother. I don't like paying Starbucks big bucks for what I can make at home for a fraction of what they charge me.👍
                Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ditto on Starbucks. I can't bring myself to go into those fancy dan coffee shops & let them pull a gun on me just for a coffee.

• Atalanta
                  Atalanta commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm guessing that's a Breville - looks like ours but we don't have the built in grinder. Pulls a nice shot.

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes... a Breville it is.👌

We're all Keurig and k-cups. About 3 or 4 favorites are kept on hand, but our #1 is a dark french roast from Sam's (daily chef).

Comment

...not a great photo but this is what I am using...

Comment

This is my Ibrik, the original mr. coffee as it was made about 450 yrs ago. Good coffee, puts hair in some places where ya did'nt have any. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	234701

Comment

I'll usually brew it in my Keurig as I am the only coffee drinker in the house. I do frequently brew coffee in a standard 12 cup jobbie at work because I like good coffee. Black Rifle Coffee Company is my coffee of choice, awesome coffee and a veteran owned business...... Win Win!

Comment

• Breadhead
                        Breadhead commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A veteran owned business... that's worth a bonus.

• Blues1
                        Blues1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Black Rifle is very, very smooth. As noted, a veteran owned business. Good company.

I was looking for a new coffee maker and I just ordered an Arepress after reading about here and on line. Interesting fact that boiling hot water is not required.

Comment

• RonB
                        RonB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Argoboy - please let us know what you think of the Aeropress, and if you have any questions about using it, let me know.

• Abom
                        Abom commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you like your coffee to have more body than you're getting with the aeropress paper filters, there's an inexpensive metal filter that makes a big difference. Some people say the paper changes the taste too, but I can't claim to have taste buds that refined.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here