Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max Good, here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Subtitle and translation : "Why are you asking, give in to the MCS and buy the damn thing."

• Allon
    replied
    Max Good

Just letting know that Amazon is almost out of all Black Swan products.
    They haven't had Sweet Cognac for a while...
    I'm starting to suffer withdrawal symptoms

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    jwkieta​ I agree with the advice, and I'd like to ask if you could create a new topic about the Timberline in the Traeger channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ers/traeger-aa then your posts have a better home. You can still tag Max from there. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• jwkieta
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, @Max_Good. The jury is still out for me on the Timberline XL but this one was a success. I'm sure I'm cooking tri-tip all wrong but this was deliciously smoky. I'm making a bone-in pork loin roast tonight. @Panhead_John, the Traeger temp sensor is in the back of the grill behind a tall stainless steel oven-like wall that holds the racks.

• WillTravelForFood
    commented on 's reply
    jwkieta yes, this is a great conversation. But can it be a new post in the appropriate channel, please? Your photos and questions will likely get better exposure and engagement.

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    jwkieta and Max Good Maybe I missed it in this post, but where is Traeger’s factory temperature probe located? Is it right near the grate where the ambient probes are being placed as a comparison? Hope this isn’t a stupid question, but I know very little about pellet poopers.

• Max Good
    commented on 's reply
    Looking good! Please keep your informative posts coming!

• jwkieta
    replied
    Max Good Cooked some tri-tip again on the Timberline last night. I like to cook tri-tip to medium or even medium-well as it tastes better and is less tough for some strange reason. Anyway, it was a success. I set up the Timberline at 250 and let it roll until internal temp hit 110, then cranked it up to 425 to finish off at an internal temp of 155. The thermoworks Dot grate-level test I rigged showed the actual temp around 25 degrees cooler than the Traeger display. For the meat, I used the Meater wireless thermometer that came with the Timberline. The unit smoked like a chimney throughout and I got a nice smoke ring and the smoke flavor was much more noticeable than what I get off my Memphis. I used apple pellets that already were in the hClick image for larger version

Name:	54E35418-D546-4A66-A093-F4B0717A8824_1_105_c.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1318440​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	D25BB0E2-FBD0-4203-B6D3-D3175FF89EFB_1_105_c.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1318441

Leave a comment:

• WillTravelForFood
    commented on 's reply
    This would be a terrific thread to have posted over in the Traeger channel.

• jwkieta
    commented on 's reply
    I've cooked two tri-tips and one rack of baby backs. The tri-tips were noticeably more smoke-forward than what I got off the Memphis and had a deeper smoke ring. I only smoke them to 110 degrees and then crank up heat/sear until IT hits 145 so it's not a long smoke. Ribs were smokier, too. I also made some sausages and got a more pronounced smoke flavor. My son is a tri-tip freak so I'll probably cook another tonight and i'll post photos.

• Max Good
    replied
    jwkieta Yes, that's a similar temp discrepancy to what I experienced. Even though Timberline produces a lot of smoke, I did a brisket flat and pork butt and didn't get much of a smoke ring or strong smoke flavor and aroma. How about you?

Leave a comment:

• jwkieta
    commented on 's reply
    Of course, I'm not sure how reliable my test is given I wasn't using a real ambient temp probe.

I also was able to confirm my previous observation that the Traeger produces a LOT more smoke at all temperatures compared with the Memphis. I was getting smoke even at around 400 degrees on the Dot/450 on the display.

Bottom line: the Traeger routinely is temping way below the display temp.

• jwkieta
    commented on 's reply
    I then decided to check the Memphis to see how it performed. Initially, the Pro ITC3 displayed a lower temp than what the Dot was showing. As the temp rose this flipped; the display showed 225 and the Dot showed about 190. When the display showed 250, the Dot was at about 225/230. I then set the Memphis to 425, and it eventually settled in with largely similar readings between the two.

The Traeger definitely is off, and it seems like the Memphis is working largely as intended.

• jwkieta
    commented on 's reply
    Max, I went down the rabbit hole with this today.

I tested the internal temp by sticking a Thermoworks Dot probe through a potato chunk and put it on the grate.

I tested at 225 degrees, 250 and 450. At first, the XL was right on the money, but as the temp rose the gap between what was reading out on the display and what the Dot probe was showing started to widen. When it was 225, the Dot was showing 190. When Traeger was showing 450, the Dot was showing 380!

• Max Good
    commented on 's reply
    I look forward to your continued reports!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here