Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Roll Call

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there Bill, got mine several months ago. Sorry for the late post.

Comment

Got mine roughly 18 months ago. 👍🏻👍🏻

Comment

New KBQ C-60 owner checking in!

Comment

I got mine about two weeks ago.

Comment

Got my KBQ a few months ago, love it so far

Comment

Add me to the list! Two cooks in and I'm hooked!

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes! Congrats on the new rig! Let see some pics of those cooks.

• vtkess02
                vtkess02 commented
                Editing a comment
                Absolutely. Brisket coming this weekend...

Proud owner for about 6 months. Every single good thing you've heard about this pit are true!

Comment

C-60 arrived Friday. First run was two racks of St. Louis ribs salt, pepper and oak smoke only. Simply astounding.
                Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5E64D36B-229A-4A36-9284-D0AF3B6887E6.jpeg
Views:	436
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	856352Click image for larger version

Name:	D1C4BA19-B1EC-4272-94EB-274D137F6288.jpeg
Views:	436
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	856353 Reading about other members doing ribeyes in the C-60 made me want to try especially since I don’t feed a crowd most evenings, just my wife and my self. So......last night I did one. 1.5 hours at 230F bottom poppet open top closed. It was again like nothing I have ever had. Finished on top of the fire box. Next time shorter time in the smoke box to get closer to rare.

Comment

• hogdog6
                    hogdog6 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gotta love a good KBQ snack

Just bought a new-to-me KBQ Thursday and had a great first run with chicken thighs and pork loin.

Was doubtful at first but many reviews here convinced me otherwise. So far so good and I am excited to start adjusting poppets and finding the differences.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Got mine last year.

Comment

Just ordered my first! Excited

Comment

Originally posted by Coconut Monkey View Post
                        Just ordered my first! Excited
                        That's a good monkey! " FIRST"

Comment

Ok here is my update on my new KBQ. First my initial review:
                          • The KBQ C-60 is well made. Solid construction.
                          • It really is well thought out. It was hard to make a mistake after reading the manual.
                          • It was a pain putting on the back legs on the cooker. I feel this could have been easier.
                          • Speaking of legs... I would pay extra to have the option of extended legs or even a cabinet system under the cooker with four wheels and casters. Having this thing on the ground is really a hastle. If I was older it may be a deal-breaker.
                            • Even some detachable longer legs and a basket underneath for wood would be an improvement.
                          • What's the deal with the "Handle"? It could be bigger. Moving it is such a pain in the butt. It's nearly easier to pick it up completely to move it.
                          Ok, on to the food:
                          • The chicken came off first. Looked beautiful. I cooked them on the bottom rack, with the dial set around 250-275.
                            • The chicken was dry! I don't understand why. I pulled each breast off at 160 exactly. The smoke flavor was great... but very dry. Can someone help me with why this could be? Should I have cooked it lower and slower?
                          • The spareribs I made were THE BEST I HAVE EVER HAD. No exaggeration. And I've had a lot of ribs on many cookers. The smoke flavor was second to none. I dreamed about eating the ribs again last night, no kidding!

All in all a wonderful cooker. I haven't cleaned it out yet, but it looks easy enough. So far worth the price of admission. Here are some pics as well.

John Rogers

Attached Files

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                            ComfortablyNumb commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Next time try hotter and faster on the chicken. Shoot for above 300, up to 350. It will be ready before it can dry out.

BBQ_Bill used to offer a door kit. It had better handles and the means to change the hinge so you could remove the door. He's terrible busy now and I don't think does it anymore. It is all off the shelf stuff, so you can make your own.

Some have mounted their units to a short table. Two things to bear in mind, the fall of the door and the stress on the hinge. The other is..

• ComfortablyNumb
                            Editing a comment
                            ...the new height of the firebox. Not only will you have to reach up to add wood, but it puts the sparks at eye level. As long as you are mindful of these two things, it is doable.

Really good feedback ComfortablyNumb ! I wonder if a water pan would help with the chicken? I will try hotter and faster next time.

If anyone has any mounting instructions or a recommended table, I would love to hear it. I would prefer something stainless steel so I can hose it off. If I find something I will also post it here for reference.

I can't wait to smoke a brisket on this thing.

I also got the KBQ because of its portability. I'm thinking remote family cooks and maybe even competition cooking. Thanksgiving with the family is going to be different this year boys.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                            Editing a comment
                            I did a fresh, whole chicken a couple of weeks ago, I mean fresh, I had butchered him the day before. I soaked him in brine overnight. Put it on the KBQ averaging 325. Actually let it go a bit long, pulled it at 185 internal temp. Still tender and moist.

• ComfortablyNumb
                            Editing a comment
                            Histrix has a table mounted KBQ that he has posted pictures of before. I believe he made some sort of spark arrester for it. Haven't seen him post lately, if he's still around maybe he'll jump in. As for the door mods, when I have time I'll take some pictures of mine.

• 58limited
                            58limited commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Coconut Monkey Recipe is on the free side of the site. It is really good, one of those "Where have you been all of my life?" things: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...q-sauce-recipe

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here