Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another reason I don't like lump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another reason I don't like lump

The small pieces fall through the grates. Briquettes may create more ash, but small burning lump pieces fall through the grate making the ash sweeps more difficult to operate..
    First world problems I know, but have enough other of that type problem that I don't need to add this to the list..
    Briquettes for the win

End rant.. Click image for larger version

Name:	20231004_173630.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	1488969 Click image for larger version

Name:	20231004_173652.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	1488968

Saw the title and what popped into my mind was the question what has he against lump crab meat! 🤔
    Now knowing what you meant I have to agree with you as far as a kettle is concerned. A ceramic is a different story though.

Comment

Lump is definitely hotter though. I used lump in my PK360 and the heat bent the metal vent cover. Briquettes much easier to use.....which I use 99% of the time.

Comment

With B&B lump I rarely have tiny pieces...my main complaint has been really big chunks that I have to break down.

Comment

As 58limited says the brand of lump can make a difference and I would add the cooker and the open spaces in charcoal grate make a difference. While I haven’t tried it I am pretty sure briquettes in my Kamado would clog the air flow on a 12-14 hour cook and smother the fire.

Comment

Have you thought about adding /wiring on a second charcoal grate that is rotated 90 degrees to the original grate to create much smaller holes for the lump to sit on and thus the lump pieces will burn longer and be much smaller before falling through to the ash sweeps?

Comment

• Finster
              Finster commented
              Editing a comment
              I do sometimes do that if I'm not using the SnS. I just didn't in this particular case.

Well. Here is my reason I don't like lump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	274
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1489009

Comment

• mnavarre
              mnavarre commented
              Editing a comment
              What lump?

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              mnavarre You beat me to it.

• Finster
              Finster commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought that was a hump, not a lump 🤷‍♂️

What kinda lump?

Comment

Spinaker

Betterwood Products lump that I picked up at the local grocery store. Click image for larger version

Name:	bag126s.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1489244

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah, yeah those cheap brands are not the way to go when it comes to lump. Buying a higher quality lump makes a big difference. The cheaper brands are not handled well, or they sit for a long time and get beat up. That is really how you end up with small pieces. When I buy a bag of lump, I pick it up, gently turn it over and listen to how it sounds. You can tell if it is a bunch of tiny pieces that are all broken up. Try B&B, FOGO, Jealous Devil, Kamado Joe XL. They are more, but worth it.

• Finster
                Finster commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker
                Naked whiz actually had it rated as recommended, with size being rated above average.That's why I bought the one bag to try it.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I would check his loyalty.......is he there for you or the sponsors?

I tend to stick with briquettes on my kettle, unless I am out, in which case I've used lump once or twice, and use lump in my kamado. Mostly for the reasons you state. I think on the kettle the briquettes burn more consistently. On the kamado its almost the opposite, in kamado mode anyway.

Comment

• Finster
                Finster commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I've been using briquettes exclusively for awhile. I just happened to see this in the store at a huge markdown, and it was rated above average on naked whiz, so figured I'd give it a try. It was good reminder of why I prefer briquettes

Never got into lump. I remember using it on a turkey in the PBC circa 2016.

Comment

Have never used lump at all, not that I have anything against it, just haven't tried it. Is higher temp the main selling point? Not sure how much hotter the fire needs to be than a raging bed of good briquettes... I keep KBB on hand for when I want a quick sear over fire (B&B exclusively for all low & slow cooking).

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Less ash.

• DaveD
                  DaveD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I guess that's not much of a concern for me, since I'm gonna clean out the kettle after every cook anyway...

Didn't A.R. debunk the idea that lump burns hotter?

I am quite the opposite and I burn lump exclusively on the PK360. I can go ten or more cooks without having to clean out the ashes. I use a hardware cloth basket to burn the lump in, so small pieces are not a problem there. And I agree with Spinaker that a higher quality lump makes all the difference. I love Jealous Devil.

Brian

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My experience is if grilling, I can get my grills a lot hotter with lump. I had a disaster with several dozen burgers one July 4th not knowing this, and having a raging inferno in my offset in grill mode, with burgers bursting into flame as soon as they touched the grate…. Went back to KBB next cook!

I agree. I was careless one evening and 'forced' my Weber's One Touch system to push the small pieces into the ash basket and it bent the blades; I can no longer use my Kettle for smoking now. (Not a problem as I have a PBC and only using the Kettle for direct grilling.)

Comment

• Finster
                  Finster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  same. I only use the kettle for grilling because my ash sweeper is off kilter and doesn't close all the way.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ouch! I've done that but it was just little tiny bits of charcoal, and they were small enough to fall through the vent holes without breaking the blades. Those blades are replaceable. I think $20 or so gets a set of them.

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don’t use the One Touch system on mine. I have an old fireplace brush that I use to sweep the ash into the bucket. It’s more than “one touch” but it’s a hell of a lot easier, and faster too.

I tried lump a few times in the SnS Kettle/Insert and I wasn’t a fan. In the Hasty-Bake is a whole different story. When I want really serious direct heat in the HB, I’m all over the lump charcoal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here