Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up until today, ask me to do a whole chicken, easy answer spatchcock. But not any more. We eat at a local BBQ, my wife asked how they do chicken. THEY GAVE us a pint of rub. And we put it to use.

spatchcock and the split breast bone. Sprinkle rub on inside. Flip over and spray skin with olive oil. Then a good coat of rub.

2 hours at 350.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4EB491A4-CC92-42CC-B438-28704C49ABAD.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	1144954 Click image for larger version

Name:	87F8045F-F0D2-4185-A702-561BD096E6D6.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	1144955

WIFE APPROVED.

Comment

This is one of those cosmic coincidences that make you say "Hey... wait, uh..."

The killer dino ribs I made yesterday, a page or so back in this here thread, yielded an amount of leftovers that was not *quite* enough to be a centerpiece for a meal. While I was pondering how to proceed, and finding we had no buns I could griddle for some beef sammiches, my lovely bride suddenly remembered that we had some frozen quick-bake dinner rolls left from our Thanksgiving meal. Bingo - sliders!

So I broke up the remaining rib meat and heated it through on the stovetop in some butter, and since it was just so tender, my silicone spatula had no trouble basically pulling it in the pot. (God that sounds depraved.) Baked up the rolls, sliced and loaded with the beef, a little dab'll do ya of BBQ sauce, bit of sliced colby jack cheese. *chef's kiss*

There was EXACTLY enough beef to PERFECTLY fill the SIX dinner rolls we had left, as the slider buns, three for each of us. *cue Twilight Zone theme* Cosmic, man. Cosmic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211219_174949.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	1144969
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20211219_175651.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.77 MB ID:	1144970
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20211219_180832.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.62 MB ID:	1144968
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20211219_181005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	1144967
      Last edited by DaveD; December 19, 2021, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        I think this rack of dino ribs is the best thing I have ever made, full stop. That beef was incredible, brought tears to our eyes, damn near.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice use of the leftovers! And Rudy’s BBQ sauce, they make some good sauce!

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        When I lived in Houston (far southern reaches, Clear Lake area), my workmates and I would go to our local Rudy's pretty much every Friday. Their sauce is outstanding, definitely my favorite. We order it online from TX, and the shipping ain't cheap, but we gotta have it.

First cook on the TS70P. Fire management was a fight (didn’t have a good starting fire and had to really work hard to get it to stay above 220). Smoked for 4.5 hours around 230. Brined for 24 hours, rubbed, snd BBq sauce glazed. Combo of cherry and oak wood.

It was a real challenge but I had a blast and can’t wait to keep playing with her and working on my fire management.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Nicely Done, Pitmaster!

Because my wife likes pickles SheilaAnn

Attached Files

Comment

Today I smoked a 7 lb. pork butt, and a Butternut squash. Add to that some buttermilk - cheddar biscuits, a little homemade bbq sauce and I'm good to go This was my first time adding cheddar to my biscuits and even though I added 1.5 cups of the finely grated cheese the taste was subtle. I think next time I'll use a more course cheese
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20211219_120140.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.81 MB ID:	1145062
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Starsky; December 19, 2021, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Cheese in biscuits is the way to go!

So I tried chicken cordon bleu following Guga’s sous vide video. I used plain panko bread crumbs and baby Swiss cheese though. I was surprised how well it held its shape and the cheese. Tasted really good. Might want to use a more powerful cheese next time to get more flavor to come through.

Name:	A0FCFA18-2D7D-49BB-97CD-09053B095982.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	1145092

Name:	AEC895D0-84C8-41F1-92A2-6BC18EEB02FB.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1145091

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I like that, love cordon bleu

My first Prime Rib cook! Followed Meathead recipe to the T! Bones off and into the gravy pot, Mrs O’Leary’s rub hit with chipotle and ancho chile. Smoked on the pellet smoker at 225° till it hit 115°, seared to perfection! Side of home made russet mashed potatoes with gravy and french beans. Wife and I each had an end piece……OMG it was awesome! Thanks to jfmorris for the heads up on the Publix sale!!!! Wind was blowin’ dog off the chain, had to blanket the smoker and uh, uh, get creative with sear burner. 😂😁🤓😎
        Attached Files

Comment

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks fabulous! Way to overcome the elements.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Booya !!!

• painter
          painter commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect--congrats!

Getting the holiday season started right with some prime ribeyes 👌
        Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          rgriffeath Gorgeous! Front or reverse sear? Or flip/flip/flip the whole way?

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Great pictures. I'm getting hungry!

• rgriffeath
          rgriffeath commented
          Editing a comment
          Dr. Pepper reverse sear with four flips to sear. Happy holidays.

Since I had been whining and complaining about bean clubs and such but not cooking beans, well hell, let’s get to it! Red beans and rice.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	23AF467A-F29E-4025-B543-DA9044E3CB77.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.83 MB ID:	1145189

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones recipe courtesy of Emeril With a few mods - I use conecuh sausage and I use whatever cajun seasoning I have on hand. And I up the heat factor with the cayenne. https://www.emerils.com/123569/red-beans-and-rice

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Comfort food at its finest.

Kathryn

Family favorite: Icelandic farmed Atlantic salmon, cut into rectangular slices after scaling and skinning. Olive oil, salt, black pepper, dill. Cooked on the flat side of Grill Grates on the Weber propane cooker, hot! Turned every 80 seconds, so 4 x 80. Five minutes, that's all. Skin is like salty potato chips, except it's not potatoes.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9922.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	500.3 KB ID:	1145209
        Skin closeups
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9923.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	437.7 KB ID:	1145211

Salty, caramelized surfaces
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9924.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	623.3 KB ID:	1145212 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9925.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	400.7 KB ID:	1145210

Combination of crunchy salty exterior, super moist interior. High heat, quick.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9928.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	258.8 KB ID:	1145208
        Last edited by Dr. Pepper; December 20, 2021, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          smokenoob This fish has a high oil content, and I don't oil the Grill Grates. There's never been any sticking. I leave the burners on high or just shy of high, turn on the stopwatch on my watch, and use long tongs to turn them onto the next side every 60-80 sec. It helps to have a big fish, and I always ask the fishmonger to cut from the front of the filet. But, of course, you are your own fishmonger, ¿verdad?

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Dr. Pepper you live in Seattle. I was there for a year and the wild salmon was so good I can't eat farm raised. Is that Icelandic Farmed as good as wild caught?

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Old Glory We also love wild, line caught Chinook (King) salmon. But, this Icelandic farmed salmon has become our favorite. It costs $19/lb, on sale for $16 (vs $30-40 for wild King.) And, it’s sustainable. As China & India increase protein intake, the oceans can’t sustain our eating wild seafood. Sad. But, we don’t all get our meat from the forest. A local chain, Met Market, has the local exclusive for this salmon.
          Last edited by Dr. Pepper; December 20, 2021, 10:53 PM.

It finally cooled off enough here in Houston to where I just had to do a pot of chili. Turned out pretty dang good and paired perfectly with….Coors Light and garlic bread. I’m easy to please.

Click image for larger version  Name:	63DC2F72-95FF-4456-9B06-93437D2B00F9.jpeg Views:	27 Size:	122.2 KB ID:	1145319

Click image for larger version  Name:	F6377904-6190-482F-AB48-44A82A528B74.jpeg Views:	25 Size:	113.8 KB ID:	1145320

Click image for larger version  Name:	695D7DD4-F663-4206-A132-61B7B86C37F0.jpeg Views:	26 Size:	123.9 KB ID:	1145321
        Last edited by Panhead John; December 20, 2021, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks so good. Comforting.

I bought an on sale rib roast last weekend, broke it down into steaks and one 2 rib roast which we had for dinner on Thursday (check out smokenoob 's post above, it looked just like that). I thin sliced some of the leftover roast and made French dip sandwiches using MH's beef gravy recipe for the au jus on Friday (ya'll know what a French dip sandwich looks like).

But, to me, roast beast hash is the ultimate leftover meal for prime rib. Pretty standard recipe:

Breakfast, lunch or dinner
        Servings: 4

Ingredients:

2 large potatoes, cubed
        1 medium onion, diced
        1 red bell pepper, diced (and/or a diced poblano or 2 if you have some)
        4 - 6 oz mushrooms, sliced
        2 -3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
        Whatever leftover roast beef ya got (about a pound in this case), cubed.
        2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
        Seasonings to taste. I used Goya's adobo (plenty of salt in that), black pepper and smoked cayenne. A little Tony C's would be nice as well. If it's good enough for Aztec Spanish cuisine it's good enough for me!

Method:

Cube potatoes then soak in cold water for 30 minutes.
        Dice the onion and peppers, cube the beef, slice mushrooms, prep the garlic and set aside.

Drain the potatoes, lay out on a kitchen towel and pat dry. In a large, preferably cast iron skillet, heat 2 - 3 Tbsps of cooking oil of choice over medium high heat until shimmering. Add potatoes and fry, turning occasionally until they start to brown, 15 minutes or so. Add the onions, mushrooms and peppers, mix well with the potatoes and continue to fry and stir until just softened, 5 - 7 minutes. Add garlic, mix well and cook for another minute. Add beef, season to taste, mix well and cook until desired doneness (I prefer it just as the pink is disappearing). Remove from heat, top with cheese and cover for 2 -3 minutes, or serve immediately.

We enjoy topping with a fried egg or 2, a side of sour cream and a dash or 2 of hot sauce.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hash.2.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	1145356

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hash.4.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	1145357

Last edited by CaptainMike; December 20, 2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          A bowl of deliciousness right there !! Not bad for a Cali-boy !!!

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Steve. And that's Northern Cali-boy, waaaay Northern!

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I love hash and yours is perfect!

This is a follow-up to what I did with my Akaushi brisket. I conventionally smoked the point half to jiggle-jiggle doneness and did brisket burritos with that bad boy. The flat sat in the brine for corn beef for 7 days and was rinsed for another 24 hours with several water changes. I then sous vided it at 150*F for 24 hours. I smoked to pastrami with a little oak wood using a new pastrami seasoning I'm experimenting with. Here's the result sitting on my cutting board straight from the pit, ready for sandwiches. Completely rendered and tender, I can't make it any better.

Name:	pastrami carved.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1145456

Name:	pastrami carved 2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	1145455

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          We 'need' the full recipe. Really. You tease!

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Holy smokes that looks amazing!

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh boy.

Made the recipe that was posted recently under "marinated chicken thighs", apologies that i dont remember the author. I can say, its bloody delicious. Made use of my new avid armor chamber marinade function and i can say this might be my go to chicken for a good while.

Grilled on my napoleon gasser. Made the marinade while the thighs where thawing to let flavors meld. Followed the marinade directions for the vac sealer and i swear it was like the thighs had been sitting in marinade overnight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	26BD4048-E11A-46E5-A7A4-D24B7F12DC97.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	1.95 MB ID:	1145529

Click image for larger version  Name:	AC00ABA6-7EFE-4C7A-99F8-09F297B8F441.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	1145530
        Click image for larger version  Name:	FE2CCA2D-0ACB-4ADE-8445-89E1CF297C63.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	1145528
        Last edited by grantgallagher; December 20, 2021, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I have yet to try that on my Avid Armor Ultra chamber sealer. You've inspired me to get off my duff and give it a go. Thanks!

Kathryn

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc literally just got it today. Havent even vac sealed anything yet, lol

Did an Omaha Steak pork chop. Was thinking Smokey Joe. 22 and wind. Too old for a 1 chop cook. So in the the Ninji. Dry Brined and blessed with Memphis Dust. Sweet Potato baked the traditional way, in the oven.

Pictures kinda crappy. Delicious and juicy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211220_184842.jpg Views:	0 Size:	718.0 KB ID:	1145649 Click image for larger version  Name:	20211220_184935.jpg Views:	0 Size:	770.2 KB ID:	1145650

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here