Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started off as rotisserie chicken on the SnS Kamado but I messed up and had too many coals - instead of the heat at the side, part of the chicken was right over the coals. After 15 minutes the skin was already scorched so off comes the rotisserie and on goes the EasySpin grate. Lowered the temperature also. Now everything is running smoothly. The chicken is now away from the coals. Potatoes roasting and catching drippings underneath. Breast and thigh are about 7 degrees apart right now.

I brined the chicken (pasture-raised whole chicken from CrowdCow) overnight in an apple cider brine then seasoned with a mix of ChickaLicka BamBam from PK grills and some Omaha Steak seasoning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	chicken1.jpg Views:	12 Size:	4.97 MB ID:	1137513

Its done. Pulled when breast was 165 and thigh was 170 degrees. Resting for a few minutes right now. The potatoes are now on the upper grate directly over the coals to finish - no seasonings except S&P and chicken drippings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	chicken2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.68 MB ID:	1137547

Ready to serve

Click image for larger version  Name:	chicken3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.09 MB ID:	1137564

I've only cooked whole chicken a few times in my life. This is definitely the best yet: tender, juicy, the bone fell right out of the leg but the meat is perfect. I can taste the brine in every bite. The potatoes are tender and taste great with a good amount of smoke. These are the extra baby potatoes that I bought to make Troutman 's Beef Bourguignon (Also an excellent dish - I've been eating it all day). I forgot about the extra pearl onions - those would have been great with the potatoes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	chicken4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	1137563
    Last edited by 58limited; December 5, 2021, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• BradNorthGA
      BradNorthGA commented
      Editing a comment
      Great save when the rotisserie wasn't working out. Dish looks really good

SV Chuck roast at 135 for 32 hours finished in a pan sear of caramelized onions, red wine reduction, and mixed with parmesan crusted potatoes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	81FF1F19-D5EA-49DA-A2E6-90D99A51AEEE.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	1137639

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks like a beef delicious winter meal. Richard, did you season the chuck at all before the SV, and it looks like you seared it? Tell us more!

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper. I did not do any pre season on this. Although, I have no reason not to. When I am ready to sear, I use peanut or sesame oil, when that is smoking, I add in the proteins to be seared, Beef, chicken, etc.. and then add in my red or white wine, the onions that had been caramelized earlier, and drippings from the SV, any S&P. Reduce it down to where I want it, add in potatoes, and season again. Serve and top with more seasonings or fresh parm, thyme, etc...

I had some Creekstone Farms beef ribs hiding in my upright freezer. I got them last Christmas ish on sale. Hadn’t done them before so I was prepared for these to be underwhelming. Opposite
    Attached Files

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Just love that cook, and you nailed it! I will correct barelfly, better then brisket on a stick. It’s like brisket point on a stick. Beef butter!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s Wibs man, Wibs!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have about a 6 monther in my fridge freezer as well. Need to dig it out!! Nice work on yours 👍

Well I haven’t baked a lot of bread lately, so I went a little bit crazy this weekend. Made croissants and Ken Forkish Harvest Bread with Poolish. Turned out pretty well!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thunder77; December 5, 2021, 09:50 PM. Reason: Added photo

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are all beautiful. Did you by any chance slice and photo?

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper, for your viewing pleasure.

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Show off 💕💕💕💕💕

I know, I know, it’s not BBQ…..it’s what we caught today so that’s whats for dinner! When I catch a pig I’ll smoke it and post a pic! 😂 Tonight it’s Mingo Snapper fried lite 😁
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      smokenoob Looking at your long line of fish, I see that:
      (Strike up the Sesame Street band)

"One Of These Things (Is Not Like The Others)
      One of these things is not like the others,
      One of these things just doesn't belong,
      Can you tell which thing is not like the others
      By the time I finish my song?"

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper good eye, that is a Bar Jack
      (and yes, I knew what it was before the song ended 😂)

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman When you rope a steer, I’ll go to plastics!

Tonight turned into an impromptu German food night. My son requested spaetzle, so decided to pair it with schnitzel. He got chicken schnitzel, everyone else got pork schnitzel with the spaetzle

Name:	A4C01F2E-7645-4659-9CB7-A2676975A4EA.jpeg
Views:	370
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1137678

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Heck yeah! Spaetzle! love it! My parents made Spatzen today. Love getting to see stuff like this!

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Easy for you to say! Looks fantastic

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper - some fights with an 11 yr old boy are not worth fighting! He's very much in his chicken nugget only phase, so getting him to eat a chicken schnitzel even if it is essentially a big chicken nugget is a win. At least he considers bacon one of his favorite foods - eating the rest of the pig will hopefully come soon!

Completed my 3-day rampage with a rack of Kurobuta ribs. Dry brined overnight, couple hours of MMD before going in. Went on the "smoke" setting of my Copperhead 5 (about 140F) for the first hour, then did four more at 250. Delicious! Could have used another half hour at temp I reckon, but it's a small nit to pick.

Name:	20211205_115443.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	1137707

Name:	20211205_160150.jpg
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	1137706

Name:	20211205_175754.jpg
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	1137705

Name:	20211205_185924.jpg
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1137704

Name:	20211205_190044.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	1137703

Comment

To follow up on Troutman Texas Chili, I did this today. I minor variation on s couple of ingredients. Nothing signifigent. Simmered for 5 hours. Off at about 5. Covered and put back on a bit b4 630. I eat between 630 and 730. Result was comforting.Texture perfect. I went with full heat per recipe and no regrets. Added Cowboy Candy for some sweet heat along with chopped onion and Mexican 3 cheese. Had with baguette and one of my favorite seasonal IPA's.
      1st the beer. 2nd when put on pot. 3rd 5 hours later. 4th my serving.

Name:	20211205_185703.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1137729 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_130621.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1137730 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_163710.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1137731 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_190323.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1137732

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Celllllll-ebration Ale Come On! (apologies to Kool & The Gang)

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Outstanding

Made a quick dinner tonight, nachos!

Name:	6990BC4C-71E0-4D8A-B590-5E0B47CDD9B7.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	1137735

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Q: What do you call cheese that doesn't belong to you?
        A: Nacho cheese.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        That's not hurting my feelings any !!!!!

Mesquite Smoked Pull Pork
      Attached Files

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh damn yer killing me!

Went to the butcher yesterday and got a rack of beef ribs. Put half of them in the freezer for next time I get a hankering for them, made the other half today

Lsst few times I've done beef ribs I've used Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub. This time I decided to try out the "Triple C" coffee rub by Clint Cantwell

It was outstanding! These took an epic 10.5 hours @ 225* on my BGE, but were worth every minute.

Wife made some delicious collards to go with them. Not pictured: did some sous vide corn on the cob also, but it was put on a bit late and wasn't ready until ~10 minutes after the ribs. I couldn't wait to start eating so I just took a pic of what was ready and dug in immediately

Attached Files

Comment

Made some chili today, including some smoked beef Skip sent back with me after Thanksgiving.

Name:	IMG_20211204_174114.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1137814

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! Looks delicious and winter hardy.

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Can I have a cup of that? It's kind of cold outside in your driveway.

Parents wanted me to smoke them a turkey post Thanksgiving. 24 lbs used Simon and Garfunkel rub. Ended up amazing. Had some leftover stock I made for gravy as well. Spatchcocked and only took about 3 hours. Easily the best go to recipe
        Attached Files

Comment

Today was rib day with a side of baked beans.

Name:	20211205_150030.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	1137842 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_195558.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	374.2 KB
ID:	1137843

Comment

Dry-brined and reverse seared lamb racks. Herbs de Provence rub. Served with mustard-glazed carrots.

Name:	PXL_20211206_032638666.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	1137864

Name:	PXL_20211206_034104339.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	1137865

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Great looking lamb. Wanting to do some for Christmas. What was your source for those big racks?

• theroc
              theroc commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman they were from Costco

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Damn Roc, the ones at my Costco the tender loins are about the size of silver dollars

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here