Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Cook that baby all the way to about 200 F. Until she is like Jellllllly! You will never go back. I really do not even make bacon anymore. I just smoke these slabs now. Andrrr

• Huskee
    replied
    Time to close this volume 23, Fall 2021 edition down as we move into Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022. Please use the new SUWYC to show off your cooks!

Leave a comment:

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    I love hash and yours is perfect!

• holehogg
    commented on 's reply
    Oh boy.

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    Old Glory We also love wild, line caught Chinook (King) salmon. But, this Icelandic farmed salmon has become our favorite. It costs $19/lb, on sale for $16 (vs $30-40 for wild King.) And, it’s sustainable. As China & India increase protein intake, the oceans can’t sustain our eating wild seafood. Sad. But, we don’t all get our meat from the forest. A local chain, Met Market, has the local exclusive for this salmon.
    Last edited by Dr. Pepper; December 20, 2021, 10:53 PM.

• Sweaty Paul
    replied
    As y’all know I acquired a PK 360 much to my wife’s chagrin as it arrived fully assembled and delivered (helps when your buddy owns the BBQ store).

Did my first smoking cook this weekend. I have a pellet grill which I love, but, I had played some games with the PK and felt I was up for the challenge.

I smoked a Creekstone Farm’s Duroc pork butt. I dry brined with "Eat" BBQ rub for 18 hours then added more of it and MMD immediately before the cook.

Set the PK for 2 zone cooking, shooting for temps between 225-250, and smoked for 5 hours before wrapping (my son, who is home for the holidays from college, made plans for us) so instead of cooking nekkid I wrapped. Used Jealous Devil large lump charcoal (which I really liked) and post oak chunks. After wrapping I bumped temps to 300.

The PK was easy to control temps and I need to learn patience and to give the cooler time to adjust to my changes to the vents and likely stop messing with the vents. The charcoal burned very cleanly and I re-banked the coals twice and added fuel once.

My wife, son, and I liked the pork lots. Was super tender and juicy. Offspring did note there was more smoke flavor than on the Yoder.

Next time I’ll add a bit more wood and try to mess less!

Any thoughts or critiques are welcome! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year to you all!

Sweaty Paul!

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RichieB
    replied
    Did an Omaha Steak pork chop. Was thinking Smokey Joe. 22 and wind. Too old for a 1 chop cook. So in the the Ninji. Dry Brined and blessed with Memphis Dust. Sweet Potato baked the traditional way, in the oven.

Pictures kinda crappy. Delicious and juicy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211220_184842.jpg Views:	0 Size:	718.0 KB ID:	1145649 Click image for larger version  Name:	20211220_184935.jpg Views:	0 Size:	770.2 KB ID:	1145650

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    Holy smokes that looks amazing!

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    Dr. Pepper you live in Seattle. I was there for a year and the wild salmon was so good I can't eat farm raised. Is that Icelandic Farmed as good as wild caught?

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    We 'need' the full recipe. Really. You tease!

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    Looks great. You can marinate with cornstarch, soy, etc and it will tenderize as well.

• Andrrr
    commented on 's reply
    I've only ever made bacon out of belly. What temp do you cook it to?

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    fzxdoc literally just got it today. Havent even vac sealed anything yet, lol

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    I have yet to try that on my Avid Armor Ultra chamber sealer. You've inspired me to get off my duff and give it a go. Thanks!

Kathryn

• grantgallagher
    replied
    Made the recipe that was posted recently under "marinated chicken thighs", apologies that i dont remember the author. I can say, its bloody delicious. Made use of my new avid armor chamber marinade function and i can say this might be my go to chicken for a good while.

Grilled on my napoleon gasser. Made the marinade while the thighs where thawing to let flavors meld. Followed the marinade directions for the vac sealer and i swear it was like the thighs had been sitting in marinade overnight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	26BD4048-E11A-46E5-A7A4-D24B7F12DC97.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	1.95 MB ID:	1145529

Click image for larger version  Name:	AC00ABA6-7EFE-4C7A-99F8-09F297B8F441.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	1145530
    Click image for larger version  Name:	FE2CCA2D-0ACB-4ADE-8445-89E1CF297C63.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	1145528
    Last edited by grantgallagher; December 20, 2021, 05:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here