Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I do 2 Spatchcock Chickens on a 22' Kettle with SNS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I do 2 Spatchcock Chickens on a 22' Kettle with SNS?

I was planning on doing 1 spatchcock chicken on my 22 with the SNS Delluxe this Saturday. Turns out, I need to double the amount of guests. Can I do 2 spatchcock chickens on 1 22" with the SNS Deluxe? I haven't done spatchock on the 22 yet, and I can't picture how big 1 chicken will be and if I will have enough real estate on the indirect side. Would appreciate your thoughts. If not, I will have to do whole, which I would prefer to not do.

EDIT: Thank you all for all of the suggestions and pictures. I did make it work with 2 5 lb birds using the sns deluxe and keeping the empty water reservoir which gave me an extra inch of leg room. Had some extra legs that I threw on there for the kiddos. Dry brined with salt overnight and used Meatheads Simon and Garfunkel poultry rub with an additional dusting of sumac and cayenne pepper. Came out amazing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sigaris; January 24, 2022, 07:02 PM.

From experience, I don’t think you will be able to. If you don’t mind having the chickens touching a bit, then maybe you could, or if they are on the smaller end of the scale. It’s been a while since I have done chicken on the 22, but that’s what I remember.

Comment

Here's a spatchcocked chicken on an SnS Kettle with SnS insert

Click image for larger version

Name:	spatchcock chicken - 1.jpeg
Views:	595
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1162456

Comment

• sigaris
        sigaris commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! That's super helpful. Seems like it would be tough to do 2.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Geese man he didn’t say turkey 😂😂

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman that's a Texas chicken!

Here’s a link of a smaller chicken I did a few years back. Maybe you could get it to work depending on the size. It looks like I could’ve put a second bird on there.

After getting my order of Crowd Cow pasture birds last week, I did some research on how I wanted to prepare the three spatchcocked birds. I came up with jerk

Comment

• sigaris
        sigaris commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, that's helpful. So maybe 2 small chickens ok, but not 2 big ones. Appreciate it.

If’s yer birds are as big as big as ecowper , ya might try halvin them (that’s cuttin ‘em in half fer those in Oconomowoc).

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        If the birds are that big, do you need 2?

I think if you halved them like FireMan suggests and didn't have a grate probe in there, you could get 2 birds on. Like a jigsaw puzzle :-)

Comment

sigaris Ok, I'll jump in and address this one, as I've cooked a ton on my Performer 22" with a SNS over the past 4-5 years.

First, ecowper 's photo is slightly misleading, as you are seeing what appears to be a pretty big bird on the Drip 'N Griddle's grate, which is not as big as the indirect area of the 22" cooking grate. Remember that the DNG sits down on the charcoal grate normally, so its more like a section of an 18" cooking grate, or whatever the charcoal grate diameter is.

I've done two spatchcocked birds before on the 22" kettle, and just pointed their drumsticks towards the fire. I've done a 20 pound turkey, spatchcocked, so you can certainly fit two 4-5 pound chickens on there.

However, I will throw out what I feel is a BETTER idea, and that is to just use your poultry shears to go ahead and split those chickens all the way in two - cut through the breasts and breast bone. I find it MUCH easier to arrange chicken halves on the grill than I do the spatchcocked birds.

While the picture below is a cook with the Vortex rather the SNS, it should give you an idea of how much space three SPLIT chickens takes on the 22" cooking grate, and I am confident you could make it work if using the SNS as well. By splitting them, you can let them kinda spoon with each other without touching in the indirect side next to your SNS, and easily fit 2 or even 3 chickens, easier than if they were spatchcocked probably.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EDAC45F8-50B2-47C4-9096-50D36A437497.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	385.2 KB ID:	1162470

If you do spatchcock, maybe splay the legs the opposite direction, like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7757.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	1162471

The above is not an indirect cook, but you can see two fully spatchcocked 5 pound chickens only taking the central part of the cooking grate, and they could easily fit in the indirect area with the SNS. In this case I was cooking on a set of Grillgrates with the charcoal in the center of the grill, with the Grillgrate panels acting to spread the heat and prevent flareups. Note how I have the legs twisted inward versus outward, so they take a little less horizontal room.

EDIT: I found the below picture, which shows 5 chicken halves (from 5 pound chickens I get at Sam's Club) on the 22" grate, with a single Grillgrate panel sitting on top of the SNS. The DNG is below the chicken halves on the charcoal grate, and I think I was using the grill grate panel as a sear zone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7967.jpeg
Views:	563
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1162474
        Last edited by jfmorris; January 20, 2022, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          bbqLuv How about spatchcocked, drawn and quartered! Get medieval on that yardbird!!

• sigaris
          sigaris commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you so much for the detailed answer and the pictures. Appreciate it very much!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          bbqLuv , ya can always say "spatchcocked in half" ya know. You control the out come when yer speachifyin.

I wonder, will a rib rack work for your needs? Hold 1/2 chicken.
        I suggest you come on over the pellet side.
        Have fun, and happy grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          And here I thought you were goin into "you can hold that chicken between yer legs" comment.

I guess it depends on the size of the birds but I've smoked x2 spatchcocked several times since I got the SNS.
        Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to The Pit.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here