Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS Wins Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave Parrish I’ve got the Weber rotisserie kit for my 22” kettle. Does anyone know if I can still use it with my new SnS Kettle?

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones Panhead John willxfmr Uncle Bob ecowper the source of my information on the Weber rotisserie not fitting the SNS Kettle is SNSGrills themselves. They've addressed this question several times on their Facebook group.

Apparently the top of the SNS Kettle is about 3/4 of an inch larger in diameter than the bottom of the Weber rotisserie ring, and it fits VERY loosely on there. One guy in the Facebook group has both kettles, and was able to contribute that information.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I will also second what ecowper says. I have a rotisserie for my Weber Performer and for my Weber Genesis II. The Genesis II - I used it once, will never use it again. It's a horrible grill for a rotisserie, and a waste of money. On the kettle, you have tons of clearance and I made my best turkey ever on that rotisserie last Thanksgiving. But in a year or so, I've used it about 4 times. Once for a turkey and 3 times for chickens. But I can also get great yard bird and turkey without it...

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Back to the rotisserie - the guy on Facebook said it won't fall off the SNS Kettle. But the loose fit means less control and more air leakage. And I will bet that the lid also is way oversized on top of the ring. But - try it and report back. No harm in giving it a spin - literally!

Congrats!

Comment

I am out of space, too, but that cooker catches my eye.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, now that I have this, I’m out of space until I build that cooking space

I have an old 22" Weber and one reason I've not bought anything else (Smokey Joe aside) is that it's just me so I don't need more capacity. I think about the Chimp every once in awhile but for long overnight cooks (where I'd want the chimp for set and forget), I could buy a Fireboard and use it on the kettle. In fact.... hmm...

But seriously, for something like $700 a person new to smoking can get the SNS + FB and really be set for anything unless they need more capacity
      Last edited by rickgregory; October 31, 2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        SNS Kettle + SNS Deluxe + Drip n Griddle + FB2 Drive + Fan and you can do anything, for sure.

BTW, I was so focused on the grill, I missed the shirt. Love it!

Comment

For anyone interested in a rotisserie for the SnS Kettle, there is not one that will fit it at the moment. I found a reviewer on the SnS website who said the Weber rotisserie is about a 1/2” too short. SnS replied that they are currently working on a rotisserie for their own kettles and expect it to be released in early 2022. Carry on.

Comment

From a dude in the SNS Grills Facebook group who tried his Weber rotisserie on his SNS Kettle:

"The SnS kettle is about 3/4 of an inch larger diameter than my Weber rotisserie. The rotisserie doesn’t fall into the SNS but there’s visible clearance. Air leakage turns out to not be an issue for holding temp because for rotisserie you’re going for 350ish degF. Held that fine. I put a probe at grate level and temperature at rotisserie level (SnS temperature readout on lid) was around 375degF. The lid is a bit precarious and needed to be centered."

I personally don't like the idea of "precarious" and don't want that if trying to spin the Thanksgiving turkey, but it might be fine for a yard bird or two. I would not buy the Weber rotisserie with intent to use with an SNS kettle, but would wait and see if SNSGrills offers their own. You can get great results with spatchcocked, deconstructed or whole birds on the SNS Kettle, without the rotisserie.
        Last edited by jfmorris; November 1, 2021, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m going to cook a spatchcocked chicken tonight, as a matter of fact

It’s wet, rainy, and cold so I figured that is the perfect time to test how well the SnS kettle can do hot and fast for a chicken. Either this is going to be brilliant or I’m running to McD’s for a McRib!

So far the thing is running at about 370 pretty solidly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1731017B-9652-4929-86C5-C3DD6C901246.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	1118455

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Can’t wait to try mine out! Thanks to you and the other "enablers" here. 🥸

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll proudly claim that title!!!!

I personally will be super interested to see if you can run a low & slow cook without a Fireboard in fairly cool/cold temps. I guess it is coming up with the butt!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Tomorrow AM …. It will be 40 and rainy when I start the pork butt. I’m thinking I will just use the SnS as "god intended" without the Drive/Fan. I want to run about 250F for the cook, we shall see. I am impressed at getting that 370F temp and holding it in 40 and rainy.

Color me impressed. SnS Kettle is holding a nice, solid 370F +/- for 70 minutes so far. Current temp is 42 and rainy. I lit 50 KBB and dumped that on top of the leftover briquettes from last night (probably about 40 KBB). I have only changed the vent settings once. I started at 100% open on top and bottom. When I put the chicken on, I moved the vents to 3/4 on top and bottom. You can see from the FireBoard how that is doing.

Name:	FD6E8083-CA8B-47B3-BDAB-9C9B8111C000.png
Views:	178
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1118490

Name:	A9EE81B9-10D2-409C-91A2-C879C43B569E.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1118491

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones it was cold and rainy, but not a lot of wind. I think wind would make this challenging.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. I think wind can be th biggest game changer, challenge-wise, to Fire Management.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones the Hasty Bake isn’t very challenged by wind

Nice new rig & nice looking cook!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Larry, I’m having fun!!

Kettle heated up my cooking space to 58F under the gazebo cover LOL

Name:	3F986FDE-979C-494E-A1D6-B7E7508F452B.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1118503

Comment

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          Is there anything this grill can’t do? But wait, there’s more!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Andrrr I almost pulled off my sweat shirt cause it was that warm under the gazebo!

This is pretty cool …. I put the chicken on top of the Drip n Griddle to cook it. Made it easy to move from fridge to SnS to cutting board. Even better, it fits in the dishwasher!

Name:	4241CF83-8603-4E7A-A277-0A2BC431F30C.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1118559

Comment

Holding 370 with that many coals doesn't surprise me. Kettles are amazingly versatile. Is there some reason you're not using the FB for the pork butt?

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool! How did you light your coals in the SnS insert, and I’m assuming you’re using a full load?

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I loaded the SnS insert full of KBB, added 3 chunks of red oak into the briquettes, and then used a tumbleweed at one end of the charcoal. I let that burn, with lid off, for 15 minutes until the smoke was gone and about 10 KBB were ashed over nicely. Put the lid on, with vents at 100%. When I got to 210, I opened the fan port 1/2 and the top vent to 1/2 and closed the bottom vent. That was going up a bit fast, so closed top vent to 1/3. it has settled in at about 250F.
            Last edited by ecowper; November 2, 2021, 12:17 PM.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Good deal, I really like those tumbleweeds a lot better than the wax cubes. I’ve quit using the wax cubes.

I love my 22” weber with the SnS insert. It’s been a champ!

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm really impressed so far.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here