Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might Be Upgrading - Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might Be Upgrading - Input

So .... for a variety of reasons, I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and my MCS is kicking in hard. I’m considering two different possibilities: 1. Upgrade house range from a nice LG electric to a top of the line LG gas range or 2. Get a premium grill/smoker and replace the Hasty-Bake Gourmet and WSM

If I upgrade the kitchen, this is the gas range I would probably get. The pros are 1. Gas! 2. Huge oven 3. Gas! Cons are .... I’m not sure there are any except that I have to relearn how to cook on gas.

If I upgrade the outdoor cooking instead, here’s what I’m looking at

1. Hasty-Bake 357 Pro - If I did this, I’d probably keep the WSM. Pros are that I already know how to cook on a Hasty-Bake, it’s really solved many of the problems with the Gourmet and Legacy, and it is a lifetime grill. Cons are primarily that it is very expensive for what you are getting compared to the other options.

2. AZ BBQ Grills Boothill Combo Grill/Smoker - If I did this, the WSM probably goes away. Pros are the size, the quality of the grill, the ability to smoke, grill, and Santa Maria grill all in one unit, charcoal and stick burning both, the grease management system. Cons are primarily that I’ve never had this grill and would have to learn all over again.

3. Lone Star Grillz 24x48 Adjustable on Cart - Like #2, I’d eliminate the WSM. Pros are the size, the quality of the grill, the ability to smoke and grill, charcoal or stick burning, and experience in the Pit with this grill. Like #2, I would have to learn from scratch to manage the grill.

4. Engelbrecht Braten 1000 - Again, I think I’d eliminate the WSM. Pros are size and quality, the Santa Maria style grilling, offset firebox for low and slow, ability to use charcoal or wood, ability to add Argentine grates. Again, I’d have to start from scratch.

In all new grill scenarios, I would clean up, refurbish, and sell the Hasty-Bake Gourmet and (probably) the WSM. My expectation would be to get somewhere between $750 and $1000 out of that, which reduces my cost on the system to something I can actually afford.

I tend to buy high quality stuff and use it a long time. I’ve had the Hasty-Bake Gourmet for 10 years now, for example, and have been very happy that whole time. Still happy, to be honest, but I’m kind of thinking I want a long term upgrade.

So, here’s what I hope you guys can help with .....
    1. Do you have experience with one of these? If so, please provide input and feedback and thoughts to help me in the decision.
    2. Where would I find more value: New gas range or premium cooker?
    3. Thoughts on which of the 4 grills you would get. They are all pretty comparable price wise, so the real question is which one do I want to get and use for the next 10, or more, years?
    4. What would you do if you were me?
    5. How hard is it to learn to cook with wood instead of briquettes or lump?
    6. What else should I consider?
    7. What am I missing?
    Here’s pics of each option, just to add to the fun :-)

New gas range
    Click image for larger version

Name:	88B22E1F-312E-4E37-8F74-9BBD106602BE.jpeg
Views:	711
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	939767

Hasty-Bake Pro 357

Name:	84674AB7-8589-4ADC-96E1-1931E197D5D6.jpeg
Views:	490
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	939769

AZ BBQ Outfitters Boothill

Name:	52BA0A1C-3FC8-48D0-8D67-2159C0E82C4F.jpeg
Views:	494
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	939770

Engelbrecht Braten 1000

Name:	6E2B0693-46C7-46C1-9724-B90931796C48.jpeg
Views:	495
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	939768

Lone Star Grillz Adjustable (I "borrowed" the pic from @AZ Fogey)

Name:	30E3A81B-4CFA-48B6-9245-596E74D8F8B4.jpeg
Views:	502
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	939771

That EB 1000 is pretty sweet!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that’s an awesome cooker.

I have no clue mate but I am really envious of you having this problem of deciding which one haha

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish I had a clue, LOL

Good post.

I am not clear on what the job or problem you are trying to solve? What do you not like about your current grill and range? That might help us narrow the options.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Primarily I’m looking to upgrade my cooking capabilities and cookers. And to do so with something that will last me 10+ years.

How often do you use the oven versus smokers?

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I do long cooks on the WSM 2-3 times a month, I cook on the Hasty-Bake probably 2x weekly, the rest of our cooking is indoors. Those numbers change depending on winter vs. summer

Personally id do the range but thats largely because i am not a fan of electric stove tops and a top quality gas range is a great thing to have. Plus the hasty bake and WSM is a nice combo to have.

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

If you do end up going with the range, and since you already have an electric hookup, I'd consider getting a dual fuel range that combines a gas cooktop with an electric oven. Electric ovens are usually better than gas at keeping temps even and accuracy.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Especially when it comes to baking.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I considered the dual fuel .... we don’t bake much, we do roast and broil quite a bit ... and opted for all gas

I have the electric induction model of that LG range with the ProBake convection oven, it is an excellent oven with LOTS of room. The better half has had GREAT success with cheese cakes on it. It does take. Little getting used to if you haven’t used a convection oven before.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Our current electric range is a convection oven, so that shouldn’t be a big deal. How do you like the induction cooktop?

• USMCCrashCrew89
      USMCCrashCrew89 commented
      Editing a comment
      We love it. You don’t have QUITE as much control as a gas range but close. It’s extremely responsive and probably the easiest of the bunch to clean. Since the cooktop itself really really doesn’t heat up, things don’t burn on.

You do need magnetic cookware, but even with buying a decent set of stainless steel I couldn’t run a gas line and buy a decent gas range for the increased cost of the induction option.

I would go for the gas range. It will make the biggest difference from what you currently have of any of the other options, IMHO. Those LG's are nice. We looked at them heavily before settling in the Samsung, which was top rated in Consumer Reports a couple/few years in a row.

Comment

What say does the wife have? I know mine would say stove, but I would say EB1000!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        She said I need to choose since it is my money (I got a work bonus).
        Last edited by ecowper; November 14, 2020, 04:19 PM.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow... my wife doesn't consider my work bonuses to be "my" money... congrats! lol

I’ll give you the usual Pit response since nobody else has yet. Get both! 🤣
      Good luck Putmaster.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad I'm not the only one who is challenged!

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I swear, it’s a full time job correcting y’all’s grammar and spelling.

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oops. 🤦

Buy the stove, the last time I had that type of offer , I made the wrong choice, Happy wife, happy life! They need to be given fun things too!

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        I would say that gas stove wouldn't be just for the wife... I'd like to have one! I really like cooking on gas - we have a flat glass top stove. I'd have to get a new gas line run to it though.

You’re looking at all the wrong ones. Might I suggest this model?
      Attached Files

Comment

I need someone here to buy from Arizona BBQ Outfitters. I go to their site all of the time. I really believe I need one, too. Please be the first and convince me.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          That Boothill is awesome lookin

I'd go stove, personally. Why? Well I cook indoors much more than out, esp from November through April or so around here. But... a) it's you, not me so b) Which option brings you more joy when you think about it? After all, this isa work bonus so it's basically a present, not a needed replacement out of the house budget.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here